Enquiries and information about ships built or owned on the Clyde

Post by benthespaniel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm doing a bit of research into a painting of the Duchalburn that was given to me by my late grandfather. It's a watercolour of the Duchalburn done by a painter called Godfrey from Newcastle, NSW in Australia.
I've been in touch with the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney as well as the NMM in Greenwich.
Here's a cut and paste..
Godfrey, William
William Godfrey was an Australian watercolour painter and photographer.
Active in Newcastle, New South Wales in the late 1800s

Official number 93194
This vessel was a steel 4-mast barque of 2058 tons, built in Glasgow in 1887 by Barclay Curle & Co. According to this vessel's entry in the 1888-89 edition of Lloyd's register of British and foreign shipping the owner listed was R. Shankland & Co., the port of registry was Greenock and the master was named J. Hunter.
Other masters listed were:
Edition Master
1891-92 J. Canese
1897-98 R. Forbes
1899-1900 R. Forbes
1900-01 R. Forbes
1904-05 E. A. Dent
1906-07 E. A. Dent
1907-08 E. A. Dent
1910-11 P. Arnaldsen - by this edition this vessel was registered in Norway and had been renamed Freden.

I know that she was sunk by a U Boat in the Channel in 1917.
My interest lies in R Forbes - he was my grandfather's cousin or uncle. I have his Merchant Navy medals from the gGreat War

My grandfather told me the ship was a wool clipper that ran between the UK and Australia and that she was owned by the Burn Line.
I have a beautiful watercolour of the ship and I'm looking to find out a bit more about her.
She was built on the Clyde so I was wondering if you might be able to help me or at least point me in the right direction.

Would you know where I might be able to find some of her manifests - where she sailed to, when and what was her cargo

Any idea where I might be able to see any plans / drawings of her?

Thanks in anticipation

Return to “Ships and Shipowners”