18-09-2013 : In Troon harbour today : FORTUNATE SUN

Angus Mac Kinnon

18-09-2013 : In Troon harbour today : FORTUNATE SUN

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Couple of 'poor' images of the 54 metre twin-screw Superyacht FORTUNATE SUN (IMO 1008243) lying at the outer quay wall of the Inner harbour which, in these times of H & S, is inaccessible to the low and humble types ..... like masel. Originally designed by Tim Heywood of Australia and built by Messrs Oceanfast, of Western Australia, in 2003 as the PERFECT PRESCRIPTION - for an executive of an American pharmaceutical firm. GRT - 851 T DWT - 560 T. Now there's where the money lies :roll: . Powered by twin 2,300 HP MTU Diesel Engines and with a range of some 5,000 nautical miles, and a speed of 17 knots. Sorry about the quality, only way to catch a decent shot is either await her departure from Harbour, or board the Irish P & O Ferry across on the other side. Flag - Cayman Islands, Home Port - George Town.

Troon Tug Company's RED COUNTESS which is believed to be on stand-by for assistance, tomorrow, weather permitting, in the departure of the old clipper CITY OF ADELAIDE from Irvine.

Five seals seen impatiently cavorting the Inner harbour waters awaiting the boats coming in to land today's catch at Troon, in the hope there might be some surplus for them to gorge on. Here are three of them - the other two did a deep six when they saw the camera coming out.
Attachments
'Fortunate Sun' at Troon - 1.JPG
'Fortunate Sun' at Troon - 1
'Fortunate Sun' at Troon - 2.JPG
'Fortunate Sun' at Troon - 2
Troon Tug Company - Red Countess.JPG
Troon Tug Company - Red Countess
Three of five seals in Troon's Inner basin.JPG
Three of five seals in Troon's Inner Basin
Angus Mac Kinnon

Marco

Re: In Troon harbour today

Post by Marco » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:27 pm

I saw this yacht in Troon Harbour a few years ago, back in the days when H&S wasn't such a problem and you could wander about anywhere. What is the yacht's connection to Troon?

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:38 pm

I have no idea, to be honest. Very occasionally when expensive toys like this have been around it's because their wealthy owners/friends are attending the golf 'Open' or some such event. Maybe they just came to see for themselves the tropical conditions we enjoy here in Troon-sur-Mer? :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I must admit that the golf connection did cross my mind. Perhaps visiting to play some of the courses along the Ayrshire coast?

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes - good chance. Incidentally, your Flikr images are absolutely superb - quality photography.
Angus Mac Kinnon

Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks, Angus.

Due to some health issues, I started getting back into photography last year, with Joint Warrior 12-1 really kicking it all off again. I was using a secondhand Canon DSLR at that time coupled with 20-year old lenses, until it packed in. I then bought a Nikon superzoom, which has its plus points, but it was limiting in certain aspects, so I then got myself another DSLR and a cheap Sigma lens. Earlier this year, I bought a more expensive lens - and now I'm skint!

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

The high expenditure is reflected in the high quality product - but that's not to take away from the photographic skills!
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “Shipping at Ayr and Troon”