Eriskay

Colin Campbell

Eriskay

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 am

Hope the Landowner from...and the Freeman of..... the Island of Eriskay watched BBC 1 Monday night...as Eriskay featured in half of Paul Murtons programme. Excellent Colin

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Eriskay

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:21 am

Yes, Colin, cannot speak for the Yorkie-mannie, but I did watch it myself. All familiar footage, of course, but as they say, you can't get enough of a good thing! My house did not come out of it very well, wish they had filmed it AFTER it was done up, especially the roof. Oh, well, would have been done long ago if I could stop falling off long ladders ..... :(

The Zulu-type herring boat in the film was the Ocean Star which was commandeered by the Admiralty during WWII and which my late father skippered out of Oban, and later Aultbea, Loch Ewe, 1941 - 1942, before delivering her to the Royal Navy at a South of England port, for further naval service. He was 21 years of age then and had already survived a couple of sinking experiences in his M.N. deep-sea service.

Angus
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Sorry I missed it, half my roof is off just now so preoccupied (now I think I know a good Scottish roofer) .... must see if it's on I-Player.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:57 pm

(now I think I know a good Scottish roofer)

I know one too, but under no circumstances could he be described him as 'good'. Indeed 'No good' would be far more appropriate ... :lol:

Now then, Elderly One, keep missing programmes like that is what could just lose you your Freemanship .......
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “Shipping at Ayr and Troon”