Barque "Asterope" (Aberdeen 1859)

Non-Clyde related shipping and ports: Rest of Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland
npoynder

Barque "Asterope" (Aberdeen 1859)

Post by npoynder » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 am

I'm a Tasmanian now based in Sydney and looking for any information (esp. images) of the barque Asterope.

Asterope was built in Aberdeen in 1859 and wrecked off the heads of Tamar River, Tasmania, on 8 June 1883.

I'm attaching a contemporaneous account of the wreck from the subsequent inquiry, reported in the Hobart Mercury on 20 June 1883. Also attached is an article from the Melbourne Argus which includes reference to the shipwreck being plundered by locals, as it was apparently lying close-in to shore and easily accessible. These are taken from "Trove", the National Library of Australia digitized newspaper archive, which is a great resource (although it can sometimes be hard to read the scanned articles)

My connection to the vessel, is that my great grandfather, a local from up the Tamar River a bit, “obtained” (almost certainly plundered) the sideboard (photo below) from the captain’s cabin when the ship foundered. Note the "fiddle" edges around the top surface to stop things sliding off in heavy seas.

Any information most welcome!
Attachments
Asterope sideboard.png
Asterope - sideboard from Captain's cabin
Asterope inquiry findings.pdf
Asterope - Inquiry Findings: Hobart Mercury 20.6.83
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Asterope - thefts Argus 7.7.83.pdf
Asterope - Report of thefts Melbourne Argus 7.7.83
(1005.63 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Return to “UK & Ireland”