DFDS withdrawing passenger service Rosyth to Zeebrugge

Non-Clyde related shipping and ports: Rest of Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland
Glasgowman

DFDS withdrawing passenger service Rosyth to Zeebrugge

Post by Glasgowman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:49 am

Very disappointed to hear that the passenger service is to be withdrawn from mid December 2010.

Freight service to continue on a two ship basis but if you want to cross from Scotland to the continent by ferry, you'll need to buy a lorry!

Hasn't taken DFDS long to get to the bottom line after their Norfolk Line takeover. However, Norfolk line were never really keen on the passenger side of the business and I think had to be pressured by the Scottish Government to change their policy on foot passengers from the outset. Their earliest booking facility allowed you to book a trip with a bike but not purely as a foot passenger!! Can't help but wonder if their lack of interest/ promotion in the passenger side of the business (and premium fares) has had a negative effective on passenger numbers which is now being cited as the reason for withdrawing the service. When I travelled at Easter, passenger cabins were fully booked.

admin
Site Admin

Re: DFDS withdrawing passenger service Rosyth to Zeebrugge

Post by admin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:56 am

But what is the real reason passengers aren't using it in order to make it viable? Is it cost? Last I looked it certainly wasn't cheap for a passenger (with or without car) to travel on it.

Or is it just the current climate – all the operators on the English Channel are struggling to fill boats with talks of several routes closing there as well.
My Flickr site
My website: md93.co.uk
My blog: longtail.co.uk

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:01 am

..... you'll just have to drive down to Hull ;)
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Colinmcb

Post by Colinmcb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:56 am

When I was visiting friends in Britanny a couple of weeks ago I priced Norfolkline and P&O. For the dates I was travelling it was almost £400 more expensive from Rosyth than from Hull. No contest!

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:18 am

Might be another interesting comparison, chose to go to from Hull to Belgium via Norfolk Line Dover-Dunkirk and back via P&O Zeebrugge-Hull, after taking account of petrol costs to Dover and paying for one night in hotel, it worked out almost exactly the same cost for each leg of the trip. But left home at 0800 on way out instead of 1600!!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Return to “UK & Ireland”