To End All Wars

Non-Clyde related shipping and ports: Rest of Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland
Deepol

To End All Wars

Post by Deepol » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Yacht-ToEndAllWars-100_3242.JPG
Yacht-ToEndAllWars-100_3247.JPG
These photos do not do this beautiful craft justice taken from the opening credits of the 2001 film To End All Wars from a TV showing.
From his book, the film charts the privations suffered by Capt. Ernest Gordon and a group of Argylls in Thailand building the Burma Railway.
This sequence in the film shows Gordon, who narrates the story on his craft pre-war hoping to pursue his chosen career of teaching.
Surviving his most unbelievable ordeal he actually became the Dean of the Chapel at Princeton University in the USA.
Paul Strathdee

davidwat

Re: To End All Wars

Post by davidwat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:10 pm

My elder sister worked for Ernest Gordon while he was Dean at Princeton Uni in 1959. He was the son of the Principal Lighthouse Keeper at Cloch, Cumbrae and Toward lighthouses during the time my father was Master of Works at the Clyde Lighthouses Trust. It was through this connection that my sister heard he was looking for someone to look after his family at Princeton, so she applied for and got the position, and worked for him for the next 18 months or so.
david watson

Return to “UK & Ireland”