1965 Clyde Fleet Review.

Deepol

1965 Clyde Fleet Review.

Post by Deepol » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:48 am

Caledonia-1965FleetReview.jpg
FleetReview-Clyde1965.jpg
FleetReview-Clyde1965.jpg
Going through some old notes I came upon those for the 1965 Fleet Review which I had forgotten about. It was actually held over this period in 1965 and I see that on August 10th I embarked on a full to capacity DUCHESS OF HAMILTON from Gourock to view same.
I've attached a list of the ships there from my notes taken on a seriously listing DOH especially when the Royal Barge passed conveying HM to HMS TIGER where she was having dinner!
At the end of the trip we boarded a 10 coach special for Paisley and Glasgow Central only headed by two Fairburn 2-6-4 tank engines whose numbers sadly I've mislaid. A grand day!

HMS PUMA MAIDSTONE CENTAUR TIGER ST DAVID THAMES CURZON HMY BRITANNIA VENTURER LION MERSEY ADAMANT KENT AURORA DIDO DREADNOUGHT NAIAD EASTBOURNE TENBY OSIRIS ORACLE TORQUAY SCARBOROUGH WIZARD BERWICK
WALRUS PALLISER WAKEFUL NARWHAL KEPPEL OPPORTUNE GRAFTON RHYL SALISBURY

RFA’s OLYNTHUS WAVE PRINCE BLACK RANGER

HMS OTUS OWEN DALRYMPLE VIDAL WARSASH WOLVERTON KILLIECRANKIE KIRKLISTON
MONTROSE WOTTON CLYDE IVESTON NORTHUMBRIA BRERETON SOBERTON BARRAGE
KILMOREY LETTERSON RECLAIM DEE KINGSFORD DINGLEY EGERIA ECHO BRAVE SWORDSMAN ENTERPRISE MERMAID BRAVE BORDERER MYRMIDON PLOVER LAYMOOR BARBICAN BARNSTONE BARNARD BARRINGTON

errors and omissions are mine. If anyone has photos of the event please post them, I never took any sadly. I've only got these old press cuttings.
Paul Strathdee

seapigeon

Re: 1965 Clyde Fleet Review.

Post by seapigeon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:28 am

I remember going to Helensburgh with my parents as an 8 year old to see the fleet, lots of activity at Helensburgh pier with tenders coming and going and lots of signals been sent between the ships with the signal projectors. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dennis Maccoy

Post by Dennis Maccoy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:09 pm

I made my first ever visit to the Clyde to see the review, staying at a very friendly B&B in Gourock. I'd just started 35mm photography the previous month and my simple Regular Sprinty B (who on-earth manufactured that I wonder?) had no ability to change lenses, zoom, auto-focus, or any of the other features we now take for granted. However, the weather was very kind and some of my results were passable for a novice.
Britannia August 1965 (1)_1.jpg
Britannia
Britannia August 1965 (2)_1.jpg
Britannia
Centaur August 1965 (1)_1.jpg
Centaur with Maidstone in the background
Centaur & Lion August 1965_6_1.jpg
Centaur & Lion
Regards,

Dennis

Dennis Maccoy

Post by Dennis Maccoy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:16 pm

A few more.
Dreadnought August 1965 (1)_3_1.jpg
Dreadnought alongside Maidstone
Kent August 1965 (2)_1.jpg
Kent
Lion August 1965_1_1.jpg
Lion
Otus August 1965_1_1.jpg
Otus
Regards,

Dennis

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Excellent indeed Dennis. I only wish I had taken my camera with me on the Duchess of Hamilton trip I made.
Paul Strathdee

Return to “Royal Navy Shipping”