GERMAN TANKER 'BISCAYA'

riverman

GERMAN TANKER 'BISCAYA'

Post by riverman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:47 pm

'BISCAYA' Built in 1927 by AG Weser, Bremen, for John T. Esseberger, Palmaille 49, Hamburg-Altona.

Trying to return to Germany shortly after the outbreak of war she was stopped in the Denmark Strait on 19/10/1939 by AMC HMS SCOTSTOUN (ex-Anchor Line, CALEDONIA)

My Uncle armed with pistol and backed up with twenty armed matelots boarded her and she was taken as a prize of war. Three of the German crew volunteered to stay on board and help sail the vessel to Leith via Kirkwall, this consisted of the Cook, 2nd. Cook, and 2nd. Engineer. The rest of the crew were sent back to HMS SCOTSTOUN as POW.
My Uncle occupied the Ch. Officer's cabin and commandeered his Leica camera and Nazi Party Ausweiss (it turned out he was a member of the Brown Shirts, see photo) which is printed on linen cloth and I hold today. My Uncle always said if it wasn't for the German 2nd. Engineer he would have doubted if they would ever make Leith.

The BISCAYA was handed over to the MOWT and became EMPIRE UNITY. She was a hardy old girl and sailed on till 1966 being scrapped in Burriana, Spain.
Attachments
NAZI AUSWEISS.jpg
BISCAYA ONE.jpg
BISCAYA.jpg
paul hunter

Deepol

Re: GERMAN TANKER 'BISCAYA'

Post by Deepol » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 am

On the Thames.
Attachments
Biscaya-Thames-CSS.jpg
Clyde Shiplovers' Soc. collection.