Queen of Scots Pullman

Railways, Trams, Steam, Traction
Deepol

Queen of Scots Pullman

Post by Deepol » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Two old cuttings of the 11am Pullman from Queen Street to Kings Cross The Queen of Scots which took a meandering tour of the country via Leeds to get eventually to its destination. It was our regular train to Edinburgh on trainspotting trips and was worth the Pullman supplement of about 2/- (10p) I think it was or maybe a little more.
Attachments
61xxx-QueenOfScots-QueenStreet.jpg
Sadly was never steam hauled from Queen Street just steam banked up Cowlairs Bank. Usually motive power in steam days was a B1 as seen here.
60162SaintJohnstoun-QueenStreet-QueenOfScots-1959-Scott-Pirt.jpg
Sometimes an LNER Pacific did take her through as this pic of A1 60162 Saint Johnstoun testifies.
Paul Strathdee

duncanwilson

Re: Queen of Scots Pullman

Post by duncanwilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:12 pm

I have a vague memory of travelling on the Queen of Scots to Edinburgh during the late fifties/ early sixties.
We were on our way to Edinburgh Zoo, the only time I have ever been there.

valeman

Post by valeman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm

I recall traveling on the Pullman from Waverley to Buchanan Street on a night in the late summer of 1956 when there was some issue with the regular service to Queen Street and we were delayed. The Pullman came into the station and, despite crowds waiting for a connection to Glasgow, few realized that it would go on to Glasgow. I was delighted with the tables and the little lamps. We arrived well after midnight with taxis laid on by BR to take us home.
Graham Lappin

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:13 am

60031GoldenPlover-dep.QueenSt-QueenOfScots.jpg
Another QOS memory in this old cutting of A4 60031 GOLDEN PLOVER taking it out of Queen Street. All I ever got on my journeys through to Edinburgh on it was a BRCW Type 2 (Class 26!). Remember on one occasion being gobsmacked at Waverley when after the 26 came off A1 MARMION came on deputising for an ill Deltic.....
Paul Strathdee

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Another memory of the Queen of Scots with LNER C7 Class loco 2212 in charge. This was one of the last of the NER Raven Atlantics in service.
Attachments
221`2.jpg
Paul Strathdee

Return to “RAIL”