Clyde inlet query

For all things Clyde-related
Gerry Ward

Clyde inlet query

Post by Gerry Ward » Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 am

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this inlet was ever used for anything specific,its on the Clydebank side a few hundred yards from the Renfrew ferry?

Gerry
Attachments
001aarenfrew002.jpg
001aarenfrew001.jpg
001aarenfrew003.jpg
Ferry Green to the left and Lobinitz to the right.

valeman

Re: Clyde inlet query

Post by valeman » Fri May 13, 2011 1:42 am

If I recall there was a canal branch that ran to the Forth and Clyde canal that joined the Clyde about there. Graham
Graham Lappin

williemac

Post by williemac » Fri May 13, 2011 2:46 pm

There used to be a distillery where the new houses are built near the ferry.That inlet was used to discharge barges
filled with barley for the the whiskey making.cheers(hic)williemac

iainnevill

Post by iainnevill » Wed May 18, 2011 12:50 am

I've always thought the inlet was part of the early Clyde Navigation Trust Works at Clyde Bank (the house of that name, not the town) prior to the move to Dalmuir and then to Renfrew to make way for Beardmore. It may well have been used for other purposes as I've read of a coal loading facility in that area in the mid/early 19th Century from the Knightswood Coal Mines. Iain nevill

Richard D

Post by Richard D » Wed May 18, 2011 11:33 am

valeman wrote:If I recall there was a canal branch that ran to the Forth and Clyde canal that joined the Clyde about there. Graham
The Forth & Cart Canal joined the Clyde immediately to the west of Rothesay Dock. There used to be a small indent in the bank before the sheet steel piling for the Queens Quay college development was put it.

scotpix

Post by scotpix » Fri May 20, 2011 9:19 am

The Intention was to build a canal branch to join the F&C. It was never completed

Richard D

Post by Richard D » Fri May 20, 2011 12:06 pm

It was built. This is an abbreviated history, from Jim Shead's waterway pages:

"Description: Was a half-mile canal, with 3 locks, connecting the Forth & Clyde Canal to the River Clyde at a point opposite the River Cart, which could be navigated to Paisley.

History: Authorised by an Act of 1836 and completed in 1840, transferred to the Forth & Clyde company in 1855 and closed in 1893."

Until the late 1970's , you could still see the the coping stones that formed the junction with the Forth & Clyde main line, at Whitecrook Street close to the former John Brown Engineering works. If you look at Google maps satellite view you can roughly make out the route that the Forth & Cart followed, as after closure, the line was used for a railway.

RD

Return to “CLYDE”