Comet Bicentenary

For all things Clyde-related
mcmahos
Site Admin

Comet Bicentenary

Post by mcmahos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:43 pm

This post contains three pdf files relating to the bicentenary of the PS Comet. First is the January 2012 Newsletter.

The other 2 pdfs contain information about 2 conferences with links to the Bicentenary, both at Glasgow's Riverside Museum at the start of March. One is free, the other is £25. If you're interested in them please book directly with the organisers.

Stuart
Attachments
newsletter 120116.pdf
Newsletter - Jan 2012
(214.51 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Comet seminar 120309.pdf
Free Comet Seminar
(559.18 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
New_Researchers_2012.pdf
New Researchers in Maritime History Conference
(329.15 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

SCameron

Re: Comet Bicentenary

Post by SCameron » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for the links, Stuart

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Is it just me?

I'm surprised to see that there does not appear to be a paper in either of the seminars dedicated to the story of the Comet and the people involved in her creation / operation - Henry Bell (owner), John Wood (builder), John Robertson (engine builder) and David Napier (boilermaker). I suppose it may be included in Dr Bellamy's paper "Myth and Memory on Clydeside: The Comet Celebrations as a Bellwether of Industrial Power" but the title doesn't make that obvious and surely it merits more prominance. Also it might have been nice to have the original engine of the original Comet on Clydeside for this year. It was donated to the South Kensington Museum (now the Science Museum) in London by Robert Napier (at that time the South Kensington Museum was about the only one in UK that had space dedicated to industrial heritage. Although I,ve seen it there , it appeared to have been removed from view last time I looked for it (which was a couple of years back)

Compared to the 1912 and 1962 celebrations those in 2012 look like being very low key. Well times are hard and most of the available resources are pouring into the Home Counties for the Diamond Jubilee and the insatiable Olympic Games account.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

There is now a new website for the Comet Bicentenary.

http://www.comet-2012.co.uk/
screengrab.jpg
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:51 pm

The latest Newsletter for the Comet Bicentenary is attached below. Please check the website for latest news on forthcoming events.
Attachments
newsletter 120525.pdf
Comet Newsletter June 2012
(208.54 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:50 pm

The July newsletter has been issued and is attached.
newsletter 120629.pdf
July Newsletter
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 73 times

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 pm

The latest Newsletter (Sept 2012) about the Comet's Bicentenary is attached below.
Attachments
newsletter 120918s.pdf
September Newsletter
(254 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Contrary to what was stated in the last Comet Bicentenary newsletter, it has been decided to retain the Henry Bell exhibition in the Helensburgh Library until the end of October, and not the end of September as previously indicated. The exhibition can be seen during normal library opening hours -- to find these out, go to http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/library/h ... gh-library or phone 01436 658833.

Return to “CLYDE”