Launch at Fergusons

For all things Clyde-related
Clydebuilt1971

Launch at Fergusons

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Folks,

Fergusons latest newbuild will take to the water at 2pm on Monday 17th December - public are welcome.

Gav

alasdairmac

Re: Launch at Fergusons

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Gav. Is it the first of the two hybrids for CalMac, or something else?

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 am

Yes - it's Calmac's Hallaig that's being launched
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Wonder if she'll ever run to Mallaig.........
Paul Strathdee

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Unfortunately I wont make the launch but will endaevour to attend the next one. I hope that there is some hope on the horizon of more ship based orders for Fergusons. When Loch Shira left the yard for the last time I thought I would never see another newbuild on the slips again - thankfully and for whatever reason - I was wrong.

Gav

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Doubt if I'll make the launch either as I'm due to be at Drax that day. So will appreciate any pictures of the event. Launches on the Clyde now a very rare event. Apart from the second ferry no other foreseen launches in the offing

Haven't been posting much lately as constant hospital visits to my dad over past 6 weeks (at least when I'm at home) have taken up all most all my free time. Really looking forward to Xmas break:)
Last edited by SCameron on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 am

From CMAL website

"The choice of Hallaig as the name for the new ferry marks the beginning of the new Scottish Literary Class, meaning all new ships to the fleet, including the second hybrid ferry, will be named after Scottish literature."

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:58 pm

A few pics from today - http://www.dougie-coull-photography.co. ... ig-Launch/ - for those who wish to view.

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm

I've heard that Lochinvar is to be launched on the 23rd of May at 11am.
Paul Strathdee

_on_the_clyde_

Post by _on_the_clyde_ » Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Deepol wrote:I've heard that Lochinvar is to be launched on the 23rd of May at 11am.
Following from CALMAC (http://www.calmac.co.uk/Default.aspx.Lo ... ang-EN.htm)

CMAL announce name of 2nd Hybrid Ferry 08 April 2013
Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd (CMAL) has announced the winning name for the world’s second hybrid ferry. The innovative ferry, which is being built at Ferguson Shipbuilders Ltd in Port Glasgow, is due to be launched in May and will be called MV LOCHINVAR.
The names of all ships in the new hybrid fleet will follow the first vessel, the MV HALLAIG, and be named after Scottish literature. Hundreds of people voted for the new name and Lochinvar received over 55 per cent of the votes cast, with the name reflecting the poem by Sir Walter Scott, written in 1808.
The first sea going roll-on, roll-off vehicle and passenger diesel electric hybrid ferry was launched in December 2012 and will enter service this summer on the Sconser to Raasay route. The second ferry, the MV LOCHINVAR will be launched in Port Glasgow on 23rd May and will service the Tarbert to Portavadie route.
Robert Cleary from Glasgow was drawn at random from all the competition entrants and he will be the special guest at MV LOCHINVAR’S launch. He has also won a one day ferry crossing of his choice for a car and two people on a Caledonian MacBrayne ferry, courtesy of CalMac Ferries Ltd.
Guy Platten, Chief Executive of CMAL commented: “Our state-of-the-art hybrid ferries are designed for use on many of the short crossing routes around the Clyde and Hebrides and both ferries will accommodate 150 passengers, 23 cars or two HGVs, with a service speed of nine knots. The new ferries will use some of the most innovative new ‘green’ technology, including Lithium Ion battery banks supplying a minimum of 20% of the energy consumed on board. Benefits include reduced fuel consumption and impact of CO2 emissions and other pollutants, noise reduction and lower maintenance requirements.”

_on_the_clyde_

Post by _on_the_clyde_ » Wed May 22, 2013 5:23 pm

NOTICE TO MARINERS

No 41/13

SHIP LAUNCH - RIVER CLYDE, FERGUSON’S YARD, PORT GLASGOW

The Caledonian Maritime Assets vessel MV LOCHINVER is being launched at Ferguson’s Yard on the 23rd of May at around 1115. As the launch is dependent on the height of tide it may be slightly before or slightly after this time.

There will be tugs and small vessels in attendance to assist with the launch.

During this period the river will be closed to all shipping from 1045 to 1145 between Cardross Buoy and Buoy 32 at Greenock to the east of Maurice Clark Point.

Vessels intending to transit the area above are requested to contact Estuary on VHF 12 and request an update on the proceedings. There are no restrictions to shipping in other areas of the Clyde.

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed May 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Hmm...Is this NTM from Clydeport? I can only see up to No 37. Also, seems strange they get the name wrong - MV LOCHINVAR, not MV lochinver.
Allan Macmillan

Return to “CLYDE”