WAVERLEY 2013

For all things Clyde-related
alasdairmac

WAVERLEY 2013

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 am

Does anyone have any inkling of what the schedules are going to look like for 2013, or when they are going to be published? I'm particularly keen to get information on the Western Isles sailings; I don't really want to be left searching at the last minute for what little accommodation is left in Oban or wherever else.

millfield153a

Re: WAVERLEY 2013

Post by millfield153a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am

I believe publication of Waverley's Scottish schedule is imminent.

millfield153a

Post by millfield153a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Details are beginning to appear on the WEL website. I found them by clicking on the Scotland map on the home page and then clicking Oban. The Oban weekend is the first weekend in May: Saturday to Inverie, Sunday Four Lochs, Monday Iona.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks, or maybe no thanks. Was hoping for something new but just a very curtailed version of what's gone before. Really, has nobody at WEL got any imagination? :(

PS: the PDF version is now on via "Timetables"

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Alasdair - you should write to WEL and offer to manage their Company for them in a professional manner, as an ex-professional manager of repute, as otherwise this year is going to be a repeat of previous disappointments. Just tell them you have a vivid imagination, and well-honed ego, and most important of all - you have a Samsung Smartphone and Tap-Talk Gizmo - bound to impress.

NB : I hope you have applied in triplicate for a Western Isles Visa - have you?
Angus Mac Kinnon

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 pm

I hope that's not you defending them Mr MacKinnon. I was going to suggest including Eriskay - a kind of pirates themed voyage perhaps - but you've blown your chance now.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 am

Not at all - I am not condoning their performance, I am trying to negotiate a solution for their problems, i.e. - you !

We can't allow that Paddler with two miles of our island, the backwash from these paddles would disturb the remaining bottles we have stashed down there on the sea bed ...... :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks Angus, you've given me my big idea: Wsverley diving trips to the southern He brides.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 am

The last three comments have been flippant (except diving for whisky off Eriskay) and so on a serious note: do any ClydeMaritimers have suggestions as to what WEL could do to breathe some new life into the Western Isles and Clyde Cruises? It's too late for this year but maybe we could give WEL some suggestions that they might find workable for the future.

I'll kick the ball off by suggesting that as part of the W.I. timetable they could offer a themed wildlife cruise, perhaps to the whale and dolphin hotsopts around the Gunna Sound, and the seabird colonies of the Treshnish Isles. I'm sure that some volunteers from maybe the Whale and Dolphin Trust and the RSPB would gladly come along to provide guidance and commentary in return for being able to rattle a collecting tin or sell memberships. (There could also be an operating cost dividend as while in the watching area the old girl would need to steam at a much more sedate speed than her fuel guzzling norm of 14 knots).

kylemore

Post by kylemore » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 pm

By all accounts they're not in a listening mood.
Money comes from Millionaires apparently and not from clever scheduling backed up by hard promotional work.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Does anyone know if WEL/WSN are continuing with the "Friends of Waverley" season ticket scheme this year? I've emailed them twice now to ask but no reply and except for a reference to 2012 there is nothing on their website about them. :roll:

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:15 am

Folks, as I found out during my albeit short time involved WEL/WSN are a closed shop unless you're prepared to dance their dance. So I would suggest you enjoy sailing on her and forget trying to help. It falls on deaf ears and with exception of the engineering staff on board, you are branded a "troublemaker".

Just enjoy the ship.....

With regards the FoTW they must have lost money on that! A great deal I agree but surely a bit more expensive? Mind you the prices on board will probably be up again this year!

Alastair - don't email, call them otherwise the season will be over before they reply.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:40 am

Just catching up with the whole of this thread, but tend to agree with Clydebuilt re how WEL/WSN respond to things. I've suggested to them in previous years about having the nature-themed trips that Alasdair sugested earlier. I've also suggested that there could be a market in offering / advertising sailings through the many clubs and church organisations in the area - indeed, unless you live in Largs or possibly Ayr, you seldom see an advert about the Waverley in, say Ardrossan, which is only some 10 miles aways from Largs, 20 from Ayr. They should post/email a flyer to every church/library/community centre to put up on a noticeboard, and actually let folk know that the old girl exists. I got 650 folk on the Waverley when she called into Ardrossan a few years ago - ok, it was special one-off but there is an interest/demand for calls there. Excuse given was that Clydeport berthing fees were extortionate (which in fairness they were), but if it was a regular call then some dialogue between WEL and Clydeport would surely give them a reduction - have they tried that - unlikely.

I know that there have been rumblings and actions against stalwart PSPS members who have been vocal in their criticism of the running of Waverley. What I'd suggest is that a forum such as tripadvisor is used to rate your experience this summer. The operator has an opportunity to respond on it, but as it's a public forum, there's not a lot they can do to censor the bad press, and it might just jolt them into upping their game a little.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Stuart. Good idea re Tripadvisor. They already have an entry for her with 18 reviews to date, the latest of which was in October last year. People should not however treat that as carte blanche to say anything they like about the ship and her managment and crew; the same laws of defamation etc apply to web content every bit as much as they do to print media and website operators such as Tripadvisor will not protect your anonimity if lawyers or Mr Plod come looking for you.

My original post of this next paragraph has been removed and substituted: It's artist (a professional) has given me an original oil painting of the PS Caledonia to be used to raise funds for Waverley. Since I offered it to them for raffle/auction a couple of weeks ago, WEL had failed to respond but I have just missed a phone call from them this morning and so hopefully they are interested and some lucky person might be able to buy or win this delightful wee bit of Clyde nostalgia to hang up in their den. NB the photo doesn't do it justice - the original colours are much more vivid.

PS -WEL tell me that Friends of Waverley renewals will be available shortly at the same prices as last year. I think that with the loss of the Balmoral sailings and a shorter WI trip they could hardly justify any price increase.
Attachments
Caledonia.jpg

bobrobert

Post by bobrobert » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:51 am

alasdairmac wrote:Does anyone know if WEL/WSN are continuing with the "Friends of Waverley" season ticket scheme this year? I've emailed them twice now to ask but no reply and except for a reference to 2012 there is nothing on their website about them. :roll:
I sent in a renewal over a month ago. Received it back 3 weeks ago. Renewed from the 21/3/2013 number 00611. Compared to last year a prompt return. Last year it was a few days before the sailing to Oban. Regarding criticism I think that the Waverley team have gone into a defensive shell because of the amount directed at them. I have read a lot of it and IMO most OTT. Just download the form from the site and use that as a way of renewing using cheque or credit card. Beware if you use your card then they might see it as an automatic renewal for next year. BTW the same price as last year. :clap: :D

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 am

alasdairmac wrote:My original post of this next paragraph has been removed and substituted: It's artist (a professional) has given me an original oil painting of the PS Caledonia to be used to raise funds for Waverley. Since I offered it to them for raffle/auction a couple of weeks ago, WEL had failed to respond but I have just missed a phone call from them this morning and so hopefully they are interested and some lucky person might be able to buy or win this delightful wee bit of Clyde nostalgia to hang up in their den. NB the photo doesn't do it justice - the original colours are much more vivid.
Thats a nice looking painting - unusual colours.

Glad to hear that you've had a response from WEL - there were quite a few on deck auctions a few seasons back for Waverley funds and those went pretty well - so hopefully the same will happen with this one.

G

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am

[quote="bobrobert] I sent in a renewal over a month ago. Received it back 3 weeks ago. Renewed from the 21/3/2013 number 00611. Compared to last year a prompt return. Last year it was a few days before the sailing to Oban. Regarding criticism I think that the Waverley team have gone into a defensive shell because of the amount directed at them. I have read a lot of it and IMO most OTT. Just download the form from the site and use that as a way of renewing using cheque or credit card. Beware if you use your card then they might see it as an automatic renewal for next year. BTW the same price as last year. :clap: :D[/quote]

There is no doubt that WEL will be defensive mode and dont get me wrong - not all of the flak they take is a result of their doing.

At those prices its a no brainer for the punter but I dont see how it helps the business..... :D

G

bobrobert

Post by bobrobert » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 am

I find it strange that people criticise WEL for offering a "bargain" with regards to the season ticket. It is open to all customers and not restricted. I have read a few comments about it. Previously it was more expensive and more "exclusive" therefore I feel there was the slight whiff of snobbery among those who bought the ticket two or more seasons ago. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and enjoy!

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 pm

bobrobert wrote:I find it strange that people criticise WEL for offering a "bargain" with regards to the season ticket. It is open to all customers and not restricted. I have read a few comments about it. Previously it was more expensive and more "exclusive" therefore I feel there was the slight whiff of snobbery among those who bought the ticket two or more seasons ago. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and enjoy!
Absolutely! No snobbery from me on this! From a punter point of view it is ideal and way more cost effective than the previous Commodore - my only wonder is whether it makes them any money as that is what the ship needs at the moment as the Commodore was quite good value for money as well - this is even better.

in this current climate we should take whatever we get though....

G

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:58 pm

The way I've always looked at things is that it is far better to have 100 folk attending an event at £1 than have 10 attend at £10. Secondary spend will always be an added bonus, and if they enjoy themselves then you've got 100 folk passing on a recommendation.

But, in WEL's case the question has got be how many folk can afford, and will genuinely use the season ticket. I suspect that the intended/required audience may only travel once, maybe twice a year, and I include myself in that category - not enough spare time to do it every week, and not enough variation in timetables to encourage me to do it either.
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

millfield153a

Post by millfield153a » Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Waverley has left drydock and is adjusting compasses

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm

millfield153a wrote:Waverley has left drydock and is adjusting compasses
Cold move to CHQ - then almost straight out for the adjustment before heading to Glasgow - http://www.dougie-coull-photography.co. ... 9&lb=1&s=A

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Does anyone know when she is due to leave the river for her first Liverpool sail on June 1st ?

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Not sure where this comes from, so please don't quote me (!) - I have May 25th/26th in mind?
Allan Macmillan

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Wed May 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks Allan. That's earlier than I would have thought as it would put her down there a good 4+ clear days ahead.

PS on reflection, As it's been a good few years since she visited the Mersey, it's maybe not a bad idea to have her moored somewhere conspicuous along the Liverpool waterfront for a few days drawing the populace's attention to herself and whetting their appetities for a wee cruise.

BerthA

Post by BerthA » Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Waverley this lunch-time. Many noises from on board mainly carpentry by the sounds of it.
Attachments
DSCF8287.JPG

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Allan wrote:Not sure where this comes from, so please don't quote me (!) - I have May 25th/26th in mind?
Noticed her AIS has been active for a couple of days ......... as indicated above re her date of departure for Liverpool - I've got a reputation to prove! :roll:
Allan Macmillan

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Still at Pacific Quay but the great news is that the WEL website is showing her Sunday sail to the Anglesey coast is sold out. Fingers crossed that they will get good weather for it.

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri May 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Allan wrote:
Allan wrote:Not sure where this comes from, so please don't quote me (!) - I have May 25th/26th in mind?
Noticed her AIS has been active for a couple of days ......... as indicated above re her date of departure for Liverpool - I've got a reputation to prove! :roll:
OK - taken myself off the naughty chair for getting the departure date wrong - surprised she's still at Pacific Quay though, since her first trip ex Liverpool is 1000hrs tomorrow? Sailing time to Liverpool anyone?
Allan Macmillan

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri May 31, 2013 2:58 pm

It's about 220 nm and so around 16 hours steaming at 14 knots I would guess. When I saw her still there a few minutes ago I was beginning to think that she's cutting it a bit fine. Probably now aiming to arrive on her berth only a couple of hours or so before her cruise is due to leave - might save a few shillings on harbour charges (Edit : that means she needs to be off by 4pm this afternoon and at 16:10 she is still alongside PQ)

WEL website is still advertising tomorrow's cruise and so I assume that all is well with the old girl ?

Malim Sahib

Post by Malim Sahib » Fri May 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Still in Glasgow now (1710 BST), and with approx 230 ish nautical miles to run, to be in Liverpool for 0900 in readiness for a 1000 departure she'll have to make at least 15.5 knots all the way. Can't see that happening myself, and it'll cost a fortune in fuel so I can only conclude tomorrow's cruise must be off.
No announcements on the WAVEX website or their Facebook page, but no surprise there.
Regards,

Jim

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri May 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Look ominous Jim. Wonder what the problem is? With Sunday's cruise sold out this could be a financial disaster and, as you alude to, their PR machine is working to its normal low standard - tomorrow's 2 cruises still being promoted and nothing on their Facebook page nor any tweets either

PS and at 1830 they are still taking on-line bookings for both.

Malim Sahib

Post by Malim Sahib » Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Still in Glasgow and apparently has a "technical problem". Tomorrow's sailing is either definitely off or severely curtailed, yet still no information from WAVEX.
Regards,

Jim

Malim Sahib

Post by Malim Sahib » Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Well there's been a flurry of communication tonight. Firstly WEL said that the tomorrow's sail had been cancelled but that the evening showboat cruise would go ahead with prices discounted. Shortly afterwards they changed their minds and said the showboat cruise was also now cancelled, yet they still seem to think she will sail on Sunday.
Interesting snippet on Facebook that suggests their Senior Master has gone elsewhere...
Regards,

Jim

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Jim. WEL website is STILL promoting both of tomorrows sails. Nae skipper? Unbelievable

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 pm

A very sad state of affairs.
Allan Macmillan

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 pm

but if the rumour is true then maybe short term pain for long term gain.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35 am

Also unbelievable that they have said that there are technical problems with their webhosting company, therefore the website can't be updated. More likely that they can't make edits to it themselves because it's so poorly designed, and the webhosts have gone home for the weekend! Clock is now ticking for her to depart if Sunday's sailings are to go ahead. Would it not be better to put all hands up NOW and say the Mersey and Bristol Channel sailings are all cancelled and save a small fortune in fuel bills?

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:39 am

I asked them last night on their Facebook page where Andy O'Brian was and this morning find myself banned. Have I touched a raw nerve perhaps?

Ian Clark took refundancy. fingers crossed that he might be available to take over. There is surely no way they can run the season's timetable with relief skippers?

Malim Sahib

Post by Malim Sahib » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:56 am

Alasdair,
I don't think it would be commercially or practically viable, the big issue being all the pilotage exemptions that need to be held.
I see a lot of posts have been deleted on the Facebook site, basically almost everything that was in any way negative. It has been mentioned on other sites that not only has AOB gone to Calmac (new Marine Manager?), but that the ship hasn't received her new passenger certificates yet - all rumour of course.
One thing is for certain, this has been another PR disaster which could so easily have been avoided by WEL being up front and honest, unfortunately their attitude to social and electronic media seems to be of a mixture of arrogance and indifference.
Am I the only one with an ever heightening sense of impending doom about the old girls operational future?
Regards,

Jim

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:26 am

Jim. I think that you will be far from the only one worried for her future. Wishful thinking maybe but if WEL went under, as they increasingly appear to deserve to do, might the old girl pass into the hands of a competent and commercially aware operator?

what puzzles me about AOB's departure is that it was allowed to happen. If you've only got one full time master then surely to goodness common sense dictates that you tie him in with a season-long contract.

riverman

Post by riverman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:12 am

Just out of interest can someone tell me who makes up the Waverley Management? :)
paul hunter

weedram1

Post by weedram1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:03 am

This taken an hour ago, looks very quiet.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... RLEY01.jpg

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:59 am

No names Paul, but the Lancefield Quay team seriously lack the commercial skills necessary to run a modern business. That can easily be seen in the lack of anything even remotely innovative over the last few years, even simple examples like the same old tired website and archaic on-line ticket sales process, the same routes year in year out and same rather dated menus in the restaurant, An apparent inability to obtain sponsorship is another failing. I have absolutely no doubt that they are totally committed to Waverley but commitment does not make up for a lack of ability. I could go on and on with my thoughts but the more I do the deeper my depression becomes.

The ship management though is contracted out in professional hands and has been for the last couple of years and so we can be pretty sure that Waverley herself is operated to the highest of standards.

PS still at Pacific Quay as I write, and website still advertising tomorrow's sail. Maybe they hope that the toothfairy is coming to spirit her down to the Mersey in the dead of night........

PPS I've got my "Friends" ticket and I'm still looking forward to the Clyde season though ! Nothing better than a sail doon the watter on the old girl

riverman

Post by riverman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Cheers Alasdair, sounds a tad depressing, I wouldn't like to be in management good or othewise in today's financial climate although I take your point. Good luck to the old girl anyway.
paul hunter

Malim Sahib

Post by Malim Sahib » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Well, she's still at the Science Centre and by my reckoning needs about 14 knots to get to Liverpool in time to take up the sailing tomorrow; it should be remembered that tomorrow is fully booked and therefore a potential major money spinner as well as being an opportunity to offset the steaming costs to/from the Bristol Channel.
She may still go of course, but it's looking increasingly unlikely as the hours go on and surprise surprise there's no updated information online.
Apparently WEL staff were telling passengers who turned up for todays cruise at Liverpool - for a cruise which despite being cancelled was STILL being advertised on the website at breakfast time today - that she would depart Glasgow at 1500 this afternoon so as to be in the Mersey tomorrow morning. Other websites report that when an enthusiast approached the ship about 1500 this afternoon all seemed quiet.
There is still no official explanation for the delay, but the online rumour mill is certainly rife. WEL need to come clean immediately as to the likelihood of her sailing, or otherwise risk alienating even more loyal passengers, whether they be current or potential.
Regards,

Jim

Dan Cross

Post by Dan Cross » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Very sad and not good for the ship or the heritage movement in general.
She is still A/side as of approx 16:30. If she doesn't depart within the next hour I would say an arrival in Liverpool in time for a 10:00 departure tomorrow will be doubtful.

Dan Cross

Post by Dan Cross » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:44 pm

And as if by magic at approc 16:30 she was underway!

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

And according to their facebook page under the command of one Capt A O'Brian

With a favourable wind and tides she should make it comfortably for 09:00

riverman

Post by riverman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Just caught her in time thundering past Dumbarton Castle this evening at 17.30hrs. :D
Attachments
W1.jpg
W3.jpg
W6.jpg
paul hunter

Return to “CLYDE”