The Launch

For all things Clyde-related
SCameron

The Launch

Post by SCameron » Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks to those That posted pictures and video of the launch of MV Lochinvar (and thanks to Robert Cleary, whom I've known for more years than we both care to remember, for suggesting such a splendid name). Sadly, continuing health problems prevented me from attending the launch yesterday (or indeed from contributing much to Clydemaritime of late).

It was good to see another launch at Port Glasgow yesterday - Yard No 726 - it must be noted though that the number is somewhat confusing and there has been nothing like 726 vessels built in the Newark shipyard - without going back to count them somewhere between 400 and 450 will be nearer the mark . The Yard numbering system got screwed up during the nationalisation / rationalisation and privatisation processes in the late 20th Century.

Its a sobering thought though that, when Lochinvar slid into the Clyde yeasterday, for the first time in a couple of centuries, I think, there came as state of affairs where there are no further vessels ordered and scheduled to be launched into auld Clutha's waters - a sobering thought indeed.

SC

alasdairmac

Re: The Launch

Post by alasdairmac » Sat May 25, 2013 9:36 am

Sorry to hear that you've been under the weather Stuart. I hope that you are on the mend and getting yourself ready for a great Clyde season on the auld paddler. Did someone say it's going to be a good summer this year - or was he just talking about today!
:beer:

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Alasdair - thanks for the message. Its not likely that we'll be on board much this summer, Dad in particular, as he is no longer able to walk short distances or even stand up. The medication he takes has side effects so he's not keen to stray far from home these days. He reaches his 87th birthday later this month. I've managed to contact two bouts of lung infection in the last six months, second was just after Waverley's WH weekend from which I'm only just getting back nearly to normal now .Only manage one sail from Oban and wished I hadn't bothered:( Hopefully I might make a few during July and August.

SC

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 pm

hi Stuart. give my best to your dad. look forward to meeting up with you again at some point during the season. all the best.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “CLYDE”