Hunterston Windfarm

For all things Clyde-related
Calum McCulloch

Hunterston Windfarm

Post by Calum McCulloch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Start of the first turbine due this month. Test area for SSE with a 200m turbine due this month, works underway.
Attachments
IMG_2536is8.jpg

kennymac

Re: Hunterston Windfarm

Post by kennymac » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:56 pm

First parts arrived today on board Filla Nettie. Ship arrivals says light, but she definately had sections of the turbine mast or whatever its proper name is on board.

_on_the_clyde_

Post by _on_the_clyde_ » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 am

The FILIA NETTIE is unloading sections at present at the old load-out berth.

I hear that the next sections are arriving on the ABIS BELFAST (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipde ... =246403000) - one to watch for....

All info about the site can be found on: http://www.sse.com/Hunterston/ProjectInformation/

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Some shots of the Filia Netta this morning - looked like she's departing on this afternoon's high tide as the pilot boat was hovering about.
Attachments
IMG_8272_adj.jpg
IMG_8277_adj.jpg
IMG_8278_adj.jpg
IMG_8279_adj.jpg
The whole site
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Abis Belfast currently on AIS abeam of Turnberry.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Calum McCulloch

Post by Calum McCulloch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Latest yesterday - Main mast up, turbine fitted and awaiting blades.
Attachments
IMG_2705is8.jpg

Marco

Post by Marco » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:09 am

I was down birdwatching at Southannan Sands yesterday evening, and got talking to an elderly gentleman who had heard the blades were to go on that evening. It didn't happen, but it can't be long before they are hoisted up and put in position.

Calum McCulloch

Post by Calum McCulloch » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Correct Marco - maybe too windy yesterday? But this evening they were there! Also a fantastic corpuscular ray show as the sun sets over Arran!
Attachments
PA118080is8.jpg
New turbine complete at Hunterston
huntsunsetis8.jpg
another great Clyde sunset tonight

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:20 am

As I understand it this site is a wind turbine test facility with three 'stands' i.e. up to 3 machines can be installed and tested at one time. So, presumably, there will be a fair degree of on-going activity as subsequent machines are brought in, assembled, tested, dismantled and taken away? Or are the tests related to long term material and component durability? I believe one of the biggest challenges for offshore wind turbine installations is their durability in a damp. salt-laden environment. There is another test facility being established off Methil in Fife. Steel Engineering Ltd of Renfrew have been manufacturing the sub-sea structures for that facility.

The location of these two facilities is probably not 'by chance' as they may have access to the National Grid transmission facilities associated with the current AGR power station at Hunterston and the former coal-slurry burning power station at Methil which was built to burn (somewhat erratically) the waste slurry from the Fife coal mine pit-head washeries - in the days when there was a big mining industry in Fife.

SC

Return to “CLYDE”