FARRINGFORD - Western Ferries

For all things Clyde-related
yorkieman

FARRINGFORD - Western Ferries

Post by yorkieman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:26 pm

FARRINGFORD which had covered the Hull-New Holland service in its last days was sold by Sealink to Western Ferries (Argyll) Ltd in 1982 while laid up at Hull but never left and was broken up locally in March 1984.
Does anyone recall why Western changed their minds about using her and sold her to the breakers?
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Doug

Re: FARRINGFORD - Western Ferries

Post by Doug » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:58 pm

This was the start of the process that has lead to the current situation we have over the passenger subsidy/tendering process on the Gourock-Dunoon crossing.

In the early 1980s CalMac operated a two-ship service between Gourock-Dunoon that was subsidised for both passenger & vehicle traffic using the Juno&Jupiter. In 1981, If I remember correctly, the government announced that they were withdrawing both the passenger & vehicle subsidy from the route. CalMac announced they would withdraw from the route leaving Western Ferries as the sole operator. Western Ferries vessels at the time had basic/limited passenger accommodation, and a vessel with better accommodation was needed. I was told Farringford was 'attractive' based on the successful experience with the Lymington/Sound of Sanada.

I will leave the machinations to others to explain, essentially the subsidy decision was reversed. CalMac received a passenger only subsidy and the service was restricted to hourly operated by one streaker, Jupiter. The service was supplemented by a second ferry provided additional peak hour runs.

The vehicle crossing was not subsidised from that point. As Calmac continued on the Gourock-Dunoon route, there was no need for the Farringford.

Doug

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:39 pm

An interesting photo which shows her with a Glasgow registry

http://neilholmes.photoshelter.com/imag ... yc-&GI_ID=
Paul Strathdee

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks to both and the photo is sad but a good one!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

BerthA

Post by BerthA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:59 pm

I think I am right in saying that Farringford would have had her machinery altered from paddle propulsion to something more modern (Voith?) had she ever entered service with WF.

Return to “CLYDE”