Waverley 40th Anniversary Cruise - 8th August 2014

For all things Clyde-related
mcmahos
Site Admin

Waverley 40th Anniversary Cruise - 8th August 2014

Post by mcmahos » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Some of my photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/md93/sets ... 291984111/

Had a good day overall - got on at Largs, went ashore at Lochranza and disembarked at Ardrossan on the return.

On departing Ardrossan at lunchtime, the bow rope snagged on the pier so it was left to run out and was collected on her return at night (seen that happen once before when she was leaving the Science Centre). At the evening departure the excitement was caused when she was going astern and the wind pushed her very close to the breakwater. Paddles stopped her quickly (just as well), came forward a bit, re-positioned and exited safely on the second attempt (albeit still close to the breakwater).

A short presentation / commemoration of the 40th Anniversary of the handover of the Waverley for £1 took place with John Whittle being given honorary membership of the PSPS, and short speeches by Iain Quinn, Douglas McGowan and Martin Dorchester.

Criticisms? Got to be the catering and drinks prices. I had the fish and chips, and whilst tasty enough it looked appalling - a lifeless bit of frozen fish plonked on a plate with a dod of lemon on top and a spoonful of peas on the side. Chips were served in a separate bowl (why?) and made the long narrow plate look empty and unappealing. Other choices were macaroni or curry. Far too limited and poor quality. Bottles of beer at £4 are also verging on rip-off considering you can buy the same bottles for well under £2 in the supermarkets.

Seeing as I'm on a roll with criticisms - I've noted this with WavEx previously but I am amazed that none of the crew still do not wear lifejackets when they are working with the gangways and ropes on the side of the vessel whilst travelling in open seas. One slip and I dread to think the consequences.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Waverley 40th Anniversary Cruise - 8th August 2014

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Good set of photographs and a nice record of the day. :clap:
Angus Mac Kinnon

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:11 pm

I also was on the 40th Anniversary Cruise from Greenock, where the weather was, of course, beautiful when we left, viewing Ruby Princess and Aida Cara as we left. However, and as per usual, by the time we had reached the nether reaches of the Clyde the weather had set in, and remained cold, wet and windy until we once again reached largs on the way back. Stuart' s comments on the food and drink, and the price thereof are fair enough, but there are a lot of folk seemingly willing to put up with it, and both the bar and dining saloon were very well frequented yesterday. What I would say is that it was immediately apparent on boarding that almost no maintainance had been carried out on deck during the off season. The paintwork and varnishwork are showing a lot of wear and tear and the scrumblework on the deck houses is sadly in need of some TLC. This is not as it was in the past, and I was informed by someone who knows that the polish deck crew were sent home and no maintainance was done during the good weeks we had earlier in the year. While it is obviously necessary to control costs, ships need regular maintainance, and it would be sad to see Waverley in a neglected condition.
david watson

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Folks,

It was good day although Thursday's weather would have been better!!

Up until July this year I hadnt been on board since 2011 and was heartened to see some changes / improvements being attempted with the catering on board. As far as I am aware there is a new person involved with the catering from shoreside - a case of small steps I would think as if you change too much at the same time then if something doesnt work then its harder to home identify the culprit.

Whilst I agree with David's comments on the ship's fabric condition (nice to see you again btw David), mechanically the ship is running like a Swiss Watch - I've never felt her so smooth and I was told that some fine tuning over the winter has realised some extra speed from the same throttle position compared to last season (maybe that would be engine valve timing and adjusting the float feathering gear?). Obviously fuel savings can be had from achieved from achieving the required cruise speed with a reduced throttle position also!

I think though it was former Calmac MD John Whittle who received the Honorary Life Membership to the PSPS?
Hard to believe its been 40 years since all that happened and for a setup which was given a summer season's survival at best - as I said on my FB page - there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer!

One final thing I realised when on last week - whilst I enjoyed my (short compared to others) time involved with the ship etc between 2003 and 2011 I am now content with a couple of trips a year as a passenger and nothing else.

That aside - ps Waverley - Lang Mae Yer Lums Reek old girl!
Gav

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:24 am

Re food and crew, some rather negative views on TripAdvisor recently

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... tland.html
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the handing over photo I could use for the forthcoming Year on the Clyde presentation.
Paul Strathdee

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:34 am

Hi Paul

There is a great article on the PSPS website, I'm sure if you contact them you will be able to use it.

http://www.paddlesteamers.org/scottish/ ... ry-cruise/

Contact page

http://www.paddlesteamers.org/contact/#bmemail

Jamie

Return to “CLYDE”