Robertson's GEM

For all things Clyde-related
yorkieman

Robertson's GEM

Post by yorkieman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:24 am

Congrats for once for some historical accuracy in a TV programme .... the last episode of the excellent 'Remember Me' on BBC last night mentioned the tragic loss by mine of the GEM on Christmas Day 1914 off Scarborough, neatly woven into the story ... ignoring that she was on passage Mostyn for the Tyne and may have been unlikely to pick up her undocumented passenger in London.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Robertson's GEM

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:46 pm

George : what 'undocumented passenger in London'?

All casualties County Antrim men, Cushendall and Cushendun, and I used to communicate with descendants of her original crew. The Scarborough RNLI recently presented the Cushendall RNLI with the Gem's binnacle which was salvaged from the wreck. Nice gesture. I have photo.

Angus
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Re: Robertson's GEM

Post by yorkieman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Angus, it was a TV drama, so not a real passenger but they had woven the GEM into the story as a means of getting a lady from London and being washed up drowned at Scarborough ... so although fiction, someone had done some homework on real shipping which I thought both unusual and commendable! There was a flash of the local newspaper story from the time.
Michael Palin played a great 'serious acting' role, if (when) it comes round again do catch it.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Return to “CLYDE”