SIZE OF VESSELS MOVING ON THE CLYDE?

For all things Clyde-related
Allan

Re: SIZE OF VESSELS MOVING ON THE CLYDE?

Post by Allan » Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Got to Renfrew about 5 minutes too late - FLAG LEVI just passing through as I arrived.

SVITZER MILFORD leading, AYTON CROSS on the bow and ANGLEGARTH on the stern.

As Willie says above "beautiful she ain't". Managed a few pics, unfortunately no bow shots - will see tonight if any are worth posting.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Pictures not great -
Attachments
DSC00696.JPG
AYTON CROSS taking the strain
DSC00697.JPG
Definitely in need of a wash and brush-up......
DSC00698.JPG
Heading for Shelter Bay, near New York USA
DSC00699.JPG
ANGLEGARTH bringing up the rear.
Allan Macmillan

williemac

Post by williemac » Sat May 13, 2017 10:59 am

Hi Alan,we were across from each other,would have given you a wave if I had known.Managed to get her on the way down,Yoker,Erskine and Port Glasgow
Attachments
Flag Evi &Ayton Cross(Ykr).jpg
Flag Evi& Anglegarth(Ers).jpg
Flag Evi&Anglegarth(Prt Glw).jpg

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:11 pm

ATLANTIC EAGLE

Another”Biggie” that slipped up the river while I had my back turned - moored at Shieldhall earlier today.

224.91m x 32.31m, draft 7.9m – carrying animal feed, arriving from San Lorenzo Argentina, via Belfast.
Allan Macmillan

williemac

Post by williemac » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi Alan,it's amazing how sneaky 40,000 tons can be!Fortunately I managed to get it at Erskine and Yoker.Cheers Williemac
Attachments
Atlantic Eagle(D-glss).jpg
Atlantic Eagle(Ers)).jpg
Ayton Cross&Atlantic Eagle(Ykr).jpg

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Good pics Willie, thanks for posting.

Saw her leaving Shieldhall, but unable to get to Renfrew for some pics.
Allan Macmillan

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:21 am

I have just registered with this site due to catching a glimpse of a very large vessel on the Clyde on 27/06/2017 I believe its the one you mentioned. I wanted to find out how I could get notified of what's coming and going. I have since found the arrivals and departures details on this site which will help in the future. How do you find out when the vessels are passing the Clydebank area which is where I could see them. Thanks Janet

williemac

Post by williemac » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi Janet,welcome to the nutters club!There is no easy way I'm afraid,it's mainly a case of keeping an eye on the arrivals board and the Marine Traffic panel which shows shipping in real time,if you have tablet or smartphone you can purchase an app.(it's not expensive)and check what's coming upriver.Most of the biggies come from Belfast to us.Just click on the ship and it will show speed and destination.Best of luck! Williemac

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks very much for your reply. Could you tell the name of the app you mentioned as there seems to be a lot of choice and I wouldn't know which to pick. Thanks Janet

zaaf5710

Post by zaaf5710 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Janet, download the app with this picture from the App Store and you can watch ships movements anywhere in the world, but most importantly the Clyde.
Hope this helps a bit.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Rab McGechie

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks very much for the help. I have purchased the app so I will see how I get on. Janet

iainnevill

Post by iainnevill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:00 am

Just noticed that a biggie, the bulker ANDANTE at 229m is just off Arran on way to Glasgow and at present is passing WAVE RULER outbound. This part of the firth is pretty busy with the cruise ship Ocean Majesty and USNS Supply also outbound off Arran.
Best wishes to all.

Iain Nevill

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for the heads-up Ian - ETA Shieldhall 1630hrs today, bringing animal feed from Argentina (via Belfast).
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 am

ANDANTE currently crossing the Rothesay/Wemyss Bay line - Calmac's BUTE took a wide detour south, so as give the bulk carrier right of way and pass astern of her.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am

Now approaching Gourock. Three tugs – ANGLEGARTH, SVITZER MILFORD and AYTON CROSS currently passing GOT outbound, presumably to assist ANDANTE up to Shieldhall.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 am

ANDANTE now approaching Greenock, with ANGLEGARTH astern of her. The other two tugs are waiting off GOT.

For those who are not aware, there is an excellent webcam at http://saitek1.camstreams.com/ - Robert is not constantly manning it, but it gives an excellent view of the river at Greenock. You will shortly see the bulk carrier passing the cruise ship MEIN SCHIFF I currently moored at GOT.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 am

There you go……

Apologies for the quality – it’s a picture of a monitor screen, showing the webcam picture, taken about 5 minutes ago…..
Attachments
WP_20170810_002.jpg
Allan Macmillan

riverman

Post by riverman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Passing Dumbarton Rock in for Shieldhall.

Built 2012, SPP Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Tongyeong, South Korea.
Miribel Shipping Corporation Ltd.
Flag Bahamas.
Attachments
ANDANTE1.jpg
ANDANTE ANGLEGARTH.jpg
ANDANTE3.jpg
paul hunter

riverman

Post by riverman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Passing Dumbarton Rock.
Attachments
ANDANTE2.jpg
ANDANTE5.jpg
ANDANTE6.jpg
paul hunter

williemac

Post by williemac » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Paul,nice shots I got her further upriver from Erskine bridge.Just for a change,there's a landscape with Mein Schiff1 in the background,the other one is her approaching the bridge.cheers williemac
Attachments
Andante&Mein Schiff 1.jpg
Andante(Ers).jpg

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I saw the Andante on the app you recommended which I check quite a lot. The pictures posted are really good. I went this morning to try and see it from the Scotstoun side of the river. Managed to see it but the view wasn't perfect. I went down the side of the bus garage at the entrance to an Ashphelt Company and that was the best I could find. If I could have gone through W H Malcolm's entrance I would have had a full view. I need to find a good spot to see these ships there is so many buildings hiding the river. Since using the recommended app I have been up to Greenock to see the big cruise boat which was really great. Thanks Janet

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Great pics Paul and Willie – thanks for posting. I’m hoping to get to Renfrew on her departure to get some myself.

Janet, glad you’re enjoying being here – (that assumes you’re “enjoying” – as Willie says, this is the “nutters’ club”…). The river is becoming more and more inaccessible – it’s a case of exploring and finding decent spots for observation.
You mention Scotstoun – not knowing your travel arrangements, is it possible you can get to Yoker - if you get to the Yoker/Renfrew Ferry location, you get an unhindered view of the river traffic.
Allan Macmillan

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 pm

I had a wander down to the Renfrew Ferry last week after I got my car polished. That is the first time I have been there since I crossed on the ferry in a lorry about 50 years ago. It looks a great place to watch ships pass. In future, when I'm in that neck of the woods, I'll be checking AIS to see if anything is due.

iainnevill

Post by iainnevill » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Just noticed that ECKERT OLDENDORFF at 25.000+ gt and 180m long- is anchored off Arran waiting to enter the upper river to discharge animal feed at Shieldhall. We all know that ANDANTE at 229m long is berthed there at present and I assume that her departure must be imminent.

It would be a wonderful sight to see these large vessels passing in the upper river, but I think that this would not be possible due to their respective sizes and I wonder how far down river that this could happen. Would the ship channel off Gourock/Greenock accommodate such large ships passing in opposite directions ?

Anyway it is great to see the port of Glasgow busy with such large vessels.

Best wishes to all.

Iain Nevill

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:15 am

Would agree, nice to see ships passing each other – however, don’t think it’ll happen on the Clyde.
From Erskine bridge up-river, the physical width of the river precludes such a manoeuvre.

From the bridge down as far as Greenock, although the river widens substantially, there is only a narrow navigable channel which is maintained to a depth of around 8 metres – this channel which has marker buoys on both sides is not much wider than the river is at say the Renfrew/Yoker ferry, in some parts I think even less than that.

There is a very good time-lapse video clip (runs for just under 2 minutes) of the RSS JAMES CLARK, filmed in 2011, sailing from KGV Dock to Greenock; I can’t find any details as to her size, but she is not large – get a sense of scale near the beginning when crew members stow ropes(?) in the bow area, visible to the camera. Once the ship passes the Erskine Bridge, you can see the buoys to port and starboard – gives a very good impression as to how narrow that channel is.

Watch the video at:-
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=riv ... ORM=VRDGAR
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 am

ANDANTE departed Shieldhall this morning around 0500hrs BST – needless to say, didn’t get to Renfrew to see her.

Destination showing as Mo i Rana in Norway with an ETA of Sunday 20th August, she is currently passing south of Arran and heading to round the Mull of Kintyre.
Allan Macmillan

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Can't believe its gone I found a good spot to see it from yesterday the street just before Yoker Ferry Road coming from Clydebank at the back of the new houses (where there currently building a new block of flats) there are stairs down to the river from the stairs you can see right down the river. I was going back today with binoculars just to get a closer look. Thanks for your info. Janet

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Janet, Ellerslie Road. My daughter lives there and as I looked out of her kitchen window one day a ship passed. Until then I hadn't realised she lived so close to the river. I had a walk down and, as you say, a great place to watch from. Directly across the river from the spot in Renfrew I mentioned a couple of posts ago.

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 am

Just checked my app 2 big ships have replaced the Andante wish I had known there were going up today Janet

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Cargo ship AASLI, having only arrived at KGV dock yesterday, now showing a destination of Belfast – ETA tomorrow 0700hrs.

Looks like another “middle of the night” departure?
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Not quite “middle of the night” – AASLI departed KGV around 2000hrs BST – no tug assistance – currently passing the Cart estuary and the old John Brown Shipyard.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Looks like the next visitor to the upper Clyde will be NACC POROS – cement carrier registered Malta, last port Chatham, due in 0700hrs tomorrow 20th August – currently just past due east of the Isle of Man.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:29 pm

ECKERT OLDENDORFF, assisted by tugs SVITZER MILFORD, CMS WARRIOR and AYTON CROSS currently negotiating a three-point turn using KGV dock, thereby departing Shieldhall with a destination showing as St Petersburg.
Allan Macmillan

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:22 am

I can't keep up with these ships coming and going so fast. Took a photo of the Eckert yesterday far in the distance thought it might be there for another few days and I might have got nearer. I have to accept I'll never see them going up or down the river. Thanks for your information it's very helpful. Janet

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Watch out for the small warship moving from Fairfileds basin down to the old Yarrow yard at Scotstoun,(across from Braehead)
She has been loaded onto a barge already so move must be pretty soon

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 pm

I saw the Arklow Faith coming down the river on the app in plenty of time for me to get to Clydebank and take some photos. Great. Janet

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Do you know when NACC. POROS is leaving Janet

Allan

Post by Allan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi Janet –

I tend to watch for the ship’s destination to change – in this case I see NACC POROS’s destination has changed from Glasgow to Brunsbuettel, in Germany – that usually means hours (rather than days) to departure.

The other thing to watch for is movement of tugs from Greenock – usually two (or three) are required to manoeuvre the ship ready for departure, then tow her downriver. Once on the move I would guess it takes approximately two hours to get up to KGV and Shieldhall - they usually start the operation when they arrive, rather than hang about.

Of course, it would be good if we had someone “in the know” who contributes here – seem to remember in the past getting a few helpful hints from at least one or two…….
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 am

Tugs BATTLER and BRUISER moving up-river, currently passing Clydebank, with CMS WARRIOR about 2 miles astern.

Two possibilities – either they’re coming for NACC POROS, or for the barge transporting HMS MEDWAY from BAE Systems Govan down to Scotstoun…….
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 am

Looks like both –

CMS WARRIOR has passed the entrance to KGV making 8 knots, so she’s possibly going for the barge; BRUISER is sitting just inside KGV, whilst BATTLER is last reported as being about half a mile downriver of the dock entrance. Rather annoyingly (although it has happened before) both of these tugs appear to have switched off their AIS.

CMS WARRIOR now stationary at the fitting-out basin at BAE Systems.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:04 pm

In the last few minutes CMS WARRIOR has pulled out into the river, I’m assuming with the barge in tow.

Thoughts are now that all three tugs are involved in this – BRUISER (last reported over 2 hours ago) at the mouth of the KGV Dock could move in astern of the barge as it passes and take up a stern rope – BATTLER (again last reported 2 hours ago, in the area of the barge’s destination) could be overseeing the operation.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Okay, BRUISER’s AIS just came back to life – she is already astern of the barge.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Right – cancel above references to “moving the barge” – CMS WARRIOR turned into KGV Dock and headed all the way on up to NACC POROS – BRUISER remains at the entrance to the dock.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Okay, confused now – CMS WARRIOR just exited KGV Dock on her own (unless she took the barge in and out with her) – BRUISER still showing at the dock entrance (but AIS been off for half an hour) – need some coffee – will keep watching, but won’t be making any more predictions ‘til I know what’s actually happening……

Anyone else watching this?
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:56 pm

All three tugs now well down-river, heading back to Greenock.

What happened? Well, either nothing or the barge carrying HMS MEDWAY was for some reason moved into KGV Dock?
Allan Macmillan

williemac

Post by williemac » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Alan,like yourself I saw the tugs gathering.I went down and hallelujah Bruiser was on the front of the barge,she pulled it out of the basin,CMS Warrior took the stern and moved smartly down towards KGV.Thereafter I lost them!Battler at no time made an appearance,I shot over to Braehead in case she was taking Forth for trials,nothing!!I reckoned it was going to be some hours to sink the barge and float her off,so I came home,will post pics when I can.Williemac

williemac

Medway Transfer to KGV

Post by williemac » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi as promised ,some pics of Medway's journey to KGV.I must admit I miss the blood and thunder of a traditional launch!Williemac
Attachments
Bruiser&Medway(1).jpg
Clearing the Berth.jpg
Bruiser&Medway(2).jpg
On Their Way.jpg

williemac

Medway Transfer to KGV(2)

Post by williemac » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Some more,hope your not bored.Williemac
Attachments
Bruiser.jpg
Medway(P223).jpg
CMS Warrior.jpg
Goodbye.jpg

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Good pics Willie, thanks for posting – yes you can’t beat a bit of roll-and-splash type of launch….

Glad you were able to confirm what I thought was happening, although I got confused as to which tug was leading – curious as to why the barge (and content) were put into KGV, instead of going down to Scotstoun?

Perhaps someone out there can tell us…..
Allan Macmillan

Janet53

Post by Janet53 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 pm

What a shame I missed that went down twice today but nothing was happening maybe I'll get better at this as I've learned so much so far. Photos are very good. Janet

Return to “CLYDE”