Site Upgrade

For all things Clyde-related
mcmahos
Site Admin

Site Upgrade

Post by mcmahos » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:51 pm

As hinted at in an earlier message, the software that this forum runs on needs to be upgraded to the latest version in order to remain secure. The downside is that it's been a while since it was upgraded, so it's a pretty major update and many of the old plugins and themes are incompatible with the new version. As such there will be a new look and feel to the site, but all the forums and control panels etc will still be there - it will just look a wee bit different and have things in a different place. I've attached a screengrab showing how it should look once completed.

In order to do the upgrade though the site will need to go offline for a while - hopefully less than a day, but knowing my luck there will undoubtedly be some snags to overcome. I'm planning to start the upgrade on the morning of TUESDAY 29TH DECEMBER.

If I run into any issues, I'll post a message up on the front page of the main site at http://www.clydemaritime.co.uk with further information.

Stuart
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 19.40.21.png
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Deepol

Re: Site Upgrade

Post by Deepol » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Looks good. Looking forward to seeing it all in place
Paul Strathdee

Nick Smith

Post by Nick Smith » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:06 am

I am happy with that. It will give it a fresh look too.

Robert

Post by Robert » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Power to your elbow - but not the drinking arm before you've finished the job. A wee dram afterwards maybe?
Appreciate the work being done Stuart. Thanks.

_on_the_clyde_

Post by _on_the_clyde_ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Good luck, hope all is smooth transition. Look forward to the end result.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:15 pm

All being well, the update should now be complete. Let me know if you find anything not working or missing.

Login should either be in the block to the right hand side, or via the little power button top right. To change a password, you can access the User Control Panel by clicking the bottom left of the four small squares in the header.

I haven't installed the 'thanks' plugin at present - not sure how well it actually worked anyway.

Stuart
My Flickr site
My website: md93.co.uk
My blog: longtail.co.uk

_on_the_clyde_

Post by _on_the_clyde_ » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:01 pm

All seems good from my end of the line :)

I'd vote for the thanks button as it allows a token of gratitude to be shown without having to clog the forum up with lots of messages within each thread. Just my thoughts.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Just had a check in the extensions database and a "Thanks / Like" button hasn't been ported over yet to the new version, so will have to wait a wee while and see if one appears. Sorry.
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Looks great. No bugs so far and so many congratulations on a job well done Stuart.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Tapatalk plugin has been re-enabled - forgot about it!

Brianh

Post by Brianh » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:42 pm

well done Stuart - the "New Look" looks good.

Brian

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Looking very good Stuart, well done - site has a modern look about it.

For my tuppence worth, think the "Thanks" button was a good thing, worth keeping it on, if possible.
Allan Macmillan

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Yes, like it very much indeed. Being self-opinionated would have liked the Your Posts to have been kept.
Paul Strathdee

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Paul

"Your Posts" appears under your profile square (bottom left of the four small squares top right)

Stuart

clydesider

Post by clydesider » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:43 pm

The new look is very good and, like others, I appreciate the time you have devoted to this.

Arthur Sales
Arthur Sales

davidships

Post by davidships » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:18 am

Sorry, Stuart, to be a party pooper. I don't doubt that a tech upgrade was necessary, and I congratulate on apparently transferring everything smoothly - no mean feat, I am sure.

But why is everything now so big? Perhaps it is my settings or something, but attached is what I get on a typical pages with OE11 - acres of eye-watering white space, and very little content - partly I think because it has been squeezed by having the two adverts not only very much bigger, but also moved to the side (perhaps I need a portrait format screen!)
CM-OE1.jpg
CM-OE2.jpg
It's even worse on Firefox (which is what I normally use) - the huge revolving banner appears on every page. Look how much of the content is visible! Surely that shouldn't happen?
CM-Firefox1.jpg
really hoping that you will tell me that I just have to adjust something, Stuart.

best wishes

David
David Asprey

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:55 am

Sorry to disappoint you, David, but what you are seeing is pretty much how it should be.

The current trend is for many websites to be quite large and blocky, with a lot of vertical scrolling required. The advert banners in the sidebar do take up a reasonable amount of space, but even without them, the height of the page would still be the same. The new site is also 'responsive', meaning that it now scales and displays much better on mobile devices - something that the old site didn't do, and as such, should rate more highly within the Google search engine.

The new version of the phpbb software that the forum is based on, uses a totally new format of styles, meaning that all the old styles are incompatible with it. I'd have liked to have kept the same old 'look and feel' if possible and just install the new engine, but that wasn't possible. The styles that are currently available are somewhat limited in their visual appearance and this new look (which I'd to purchase as opposed to using a free one) was one of the few that easily allowed the addition of photos and graphical elements. By delving into CSS files it may be possible to alter some of the visual settings, but I've limited knowledge of CSS, and it would possibly make any future updates somewhat more challenging as I'd prefer to keep things as much 'out of the box' as possible.

The large slider is one thing that can get switched off and on though. I kept it on all the pages as a means of getting easy access to the movements pages etc on the main site, and it kind of mirrors the layout of the main site. Happy to hear others' thoughts on the slider on the inside pages of the forum - it can be switched off on them if that is preferred.

Stuart

davidships

Post by davidships » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply, Stuart.
Oh well! (Sigh).
If the quick link to movements etc is indeed important to members (though it's never more than two clicks away anyway), why not include in the top right hand boxes? It's an enormous button at present.
David Asprey

Return to “CLYDE”