ROVER at Braehead

For all things Clyde-related
Angus Mac Kinnon

ROVER at Braehead

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:28 pm

The 'ROVER' arriving at the Braehead pontoon, astern of old friend 'KYLES'.

No passengers seen on board or disembarking, just that couple preparing to board.

What will happen to the pontoon facility now that the Clydebuilt Museum has closed down - who owns it ?

I understand that KYLES will return to Irvine - not so sure that's a great idea though. :cry:
Attachments
Braehead on 17-10-2010 011.jpg
Angus Mac Kinnon

SCameron

Re: ROVER at Braehead

Post by SCameron » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Maybe better if Kyles went up to the new Riverside Museum with Glenlee and the others (old Ferry No 8, etc) but I don't know if there would be complications regarding ownership. The new Museum is owned by the Trust Company into which all Glasgow Museums were transferred a couple of years back.

Does anyone know if the ownership / status of Glenlee will change when she moves to the new Pointhouse Quay? Assuming Glasgow Museum access remains 'free' after today's massive spending cuts announcements will visitors to the Museum also get free access to Glenlee?

SC

Richard D

Post by Richard D » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Glenlee will remain in the ownership of the Clyde Maritime Trust. There are separate entrance booths being built to allow access to the Glenlee when she moves to the new Museum. No.8 ferry and a couple of other historic craft will move to a new pontoon to be constructed in the River Kelvin next to a new slipway which will be almost on the line of the old Inglis yard slip. Seaforce powerboat training school and the Sea Cadets will also work from the new slipway. There is a considerable dredging programme being planned for the Kelvin as part of the slipway contract. It will be the first dredge here since 1974.
RD

BerthA

Post by BerthA » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:55 pm

I understand the "River Bus" service has been extended to mid November. Perhaps there might be a further extension in the run up to Christmas?

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm

BerthA wrote:I understand the "River Bus" service has been extended to mid November. Perhaps there might be a further extension in the run up to Christmas?
Does it operate at a profit? Seems very quiet at this time, perhaps the weekends make up for the leaner weekdays?
Angus Mac Kinnon

Granny Kempock

Post by Granny Kempock » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:36 am

The service is subsidised by Glasgow City Council as far as I know Angus.

best regards

Granny

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks for that clarification - just like the Calmac fleet then ? !
Angus Mac Kinnon

John Cassels

Post by John Cassels » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Wife tells me that Braehead is a shopping centre . What has that got to do with boats ? ,apart from being able to make
a quick getaway .

Angus Mac Kinnon

For John Cassels

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 pm

For the past decade Braehead has hosted the Clydebuilt Museum that, sadly, has just closed down permanently due to the funding previously donated by the Retail complex proprietors coming to an end. As part of that facility, there was an adjacent all-tides pontoon arrangement where small passenger-carrying craft have over the years carried visitors to the shopping complex from the City Centre (Broomielaw) and back. This gave many Glaswegians, and others, the opportunity to indulge in the nostalgia of the Clyde's great maritime past as they sailed past the sites of Stephens, Fairfield, Harland & Wolff, Connell, Blythswood, Barclay Curle, Mechan, Inglis, all the great docks - Princes Dock, Kingston Dock, Sheieldhall, Queens Dock, etc. As a static exhibit, the Braehead pontoon accommodated the small iron-construction coaster, KYLES, now 138 years old and still going strong. And finally, just across from Braehead, once the site of a Power Station of that name, lies the world-famous shipyard of Yarrow, now BAE Systems, builder of some of the world's finest warships.
Angus Mac Kinnon

John Cassels

Post by John Cassels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:19 am

Last time I sailed upriver to Glasgow from Gourock only about 2.5 years ago , did not see much to do with the nostalgia
of the Clyde's great past ; rubble , empty waste land , derilict buildings , abandoned waterfronts. In fact the only dock
that I could remember from my youth was KG V.
Then , on reaching Glasgow , one is confronted with strange buildings , funny looking bridges etc. Not much nostalgia
there.
In fact I found more nostalgia during a couple of hours in the "Vic" in Gourock than I did on that trip.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:43 am

Well, I spent a very formative five and a half years in and out of all these yards, docks, drydocks and buildings and, despite the changes that you refer to, I still find a great sense of nostalgia when I pass these places today, memories of events, incidents, ships, workmates, launchings, catastrophes like the loss of the FORAGER that I personally witnessed from a few hundred yards - all come flooding back. You cannot simply erase these things just because things are no longer as they were visually - perhaps you can but these are powerful and long-lasting memories for me. I don't personally like large commercial Breahead-type retail outlets, despite most would agree it is a tad more attractive than a clatty big power station, but when you worked immediately across from that Power Station for five and a half years you tend to remember!
Each to his own, John, eh? Anyway - what's the 'Vic' ? Only Vic I knew was the hospital !
Angus Mac Kinnon

John Cassels

Post by John Cassels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:04 am

Don't get me wrong Angus , I too have wonderful memories as a lad in the '50's and '60's of the upper reaches.
I found it a real shame that it's now what it is and really bore little resemblance to what I could remember.

The "Vic " in Gourock , better known as the Victoria Bar - my local in the '70's - the female sex not allowed within
it's hallowed walls. When up for Masters in 1973 , a convenient stop after the drive down from Glasgow ( before
the M8 extension was built) and the last run up the hill.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

Ah, now I know; is that not the same hostlery frequented by the infamous El Capitano, he of the pocketless trousers, currently soaking up the sun on his 28th cruise this year? Of course as a hard-working engineer I simply have never had the time to visit such establishments - unlike you deckie-types - :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “CLYDE”