Tom Dunn

For all things Clyde-related
Doxford Diesel

Tom Dunn

Post by Doxford Diesel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 pm

I am sure that a number of members of this forum will be deeply saddened to hear that Tom Dunn, Superintendent of the Barnard's Court Mission in Greenock, passed away yesterday after successfully battling cancer some three years ago. Many of you may have known Tom personally, and about his deep involvement with The Vine Trust charity.

There's a nice tribute article of Tom on the Inverclyde Now website, as well as one on The Vine Trust website.
http://www.vinetrust.org/know/view_news/185

Richard D

Re: Tom Dunn

Post by Richard D » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:26 pm

This is very sad news. I first met Tom when Amazon Hope 2 visited Glasgow. He subsequently arranged for the Yarrow Seagull to be refitted and lengthened. Nothing was too much trouble for Tom - he was an absolute Gentleman.

Richard Davies

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Sad to hear that. It was through a phone call with Tom, who was at the time on board one of the Bay vessels on trials and was looking for tickets for one of my cruises (Sheildhall I think it was), that we got talking about Amazon Hope and the Vine Trust, so much so that 1 year later I was out in Peru helping the charity. Hoping to go back in summer 2012!

A great man who will be missed.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 am

Very sorry indeed to hear that. He gave talks to the WSS and Clyde Shiplovers in the past and was extremely interesting and entertaining. His work with AMAZON HOPE was amazing and that was the last occasion I saw him giving a super presentation on all the work involved.
Paul Strathdee

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Very sorry to hear of Tom's passing
SC

williemac

Post by williemac » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Very sad to hear this news,a thorough gentleman who alway spoke to you like a close friend,last saw him at his excellent
maritime exhibition in Nov. in Greenock,we can ill afford to lose people of his stature.williemac

Tom Carreyette

Post by Tom Carreyette » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:45 pm

I’ve known Tom Dunn just about all my working life from the time I started in Scotts’ Design Office in 1977 as a student apprentice. By the early 80s I was working closely with him on submarine refit and other projects. I was at his house a couple of times and met his kind wife Moira and also saw his work at the Mission. After the demise of Scott Lithgow we stayed in contact and often met on day cruises in the WAVERLEY or other ships as well as at society meetings. To me he was always a pleasure to work with or just pass the time with socially. In more recent years we have both been working at BAE Systems Scotstoun, though in different departments we still had plenty of contact. I was always struck by his infectious enthusiasm for the practical side of shipbuilding, especially his friendly relationship with people in production to ensure the technical design intentions were achieved. This organisational ability coupled with his hands on technical expertise made him an ideal person for the AMAZON HOPE project to which he gave so much and was justly proud to be associated with. He will be sadly missed by all who were touched by him but our lives were better for knowing him.
Tom

Return to “CLYDE”