New Govan Ferry - Pointhouse Workings

For all things Clyde-related
SCameron

New Govan Ferry - Pointhouse Workings

Post by SCameron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Took the following three pictures on Saturday - before departing for Toronto from where I am just now getting a chance to post them. They show piling work underway on the north side of the river across the mouth of the Kelvin just west of the new Riverside Museum. I assume that these are associated with the new slipway and landing stage for the ferry from Govan. I must admit the extent of piling is much greater than I had imagined it would be - seems to stretch right across the mouth of the Kelvin
Attachments
Pointhouse - Govan ferry works 1.jpg
Viewed from Govan showing piles stretch out across the mounth on the River Kelvin - the old Meadowside Shipyard offices on the extreme left
Pointhouse - Govan ferry works 2.jpg
Pointhouse - Govan ferry works 3.jpg
Some riverbanks remains of the old Govab ferry service in the foreground, The points at which the Glenlee will soon be tethered to the new Pointhouse Quay can be seen - don't suppose we'll grt as clear a view of the riverside frontage once Glenlee is berthed here

Gerry Ward

Re: New Govan Ferry - Pointhouse Workings

Post by Gerry Ward » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Seems like a lot of work and money for a journey of a few minutes.

Gerry

Richard D

Post by Richard D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:47 pm

The works in the Kelvin are not just for the ferry. All of the small boat activity that is currently based alongside the Glenlee at Yorkhill Quay needs will be accomodated in "Kelvin Harbour" as it will not be possible to have pontoons fixed to the outside of the ship in her new location by the Museum.

Seaforce and the Sea Cadets, together with Ferry No.8 and other boats belonginng to the Maritime Trust will have a permanent home on the pontoons in the Kelvin. There will also be 2 accomodation barges moored here to provide an office for Seaforce and toilet and shower facilities. The pontoon harbour is aligned with the slipway, and follows the natural line of deeper water that has developed near the confluence of the two rivers.

R

Gordy

Post by Gordy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:48 pm

I think I saw some plans a while ago that showed a pedestrian bridge across the mouth of the Kelvin, to be part of the riverside walk.

Richard D

Post by Richard D » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Yes there was a proposal for a bridge - but about half way between the mouth of the Kelvin and the expressway bridge.
The attached sketch shows the "future bridge" and also an early version of the pontoon harbour which was superceded.
kelvin plan.jpg
RD

Gordy

Post by Gordy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:56 am

I ken an engineer working on the ferry landings.
I'll do some digging ;)

Return to “CLYDE”