Welcome

A few simple rules and "How-to" articles to get the best from our site
mcmahos
Site Admin

Welcome

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 am

Welcome to our new website

What do you need to do: If you wish to post anything you need to register - just click the register link and fill in your details. You will be sent a confirmation email with a link which you need to click to confirm your registration. Without registering you can view the new site but you won’t be able to post or view any image attachments.

Once logged in: The new site is based on standard web forum software, and doesn’t allow for the many custom menus of the original Clydesite - but many of those features are available through the search page. A new post is called a ‘New Topic’ and all replies to that Topic will be contained within it below each other. The top of the front page shows some Quick stats, including a link to view new posts. Below the picture you will see a link for the User Control Panel - this is where you can go in and add information to your profile, change the default avatar if you wish (max size is 90x90px), and manage topic subscriptions, site preferences and Private Messages. You can also add a signature to your posts in this control panel which could include your real name, for example. On the right hand side of the page you will see a link to an FAQ which is fairly comprehensive in covering most day-to-day tasks.

Below all that are the forums. Please visit the READ ME FIRST forum as that contains important and useful information about how to post images, videos and use the BBCODE tags. In summary though, if you wish to upload an image there are 2 ways to do it. You can embed an image from an external photo hosting site such as Photobucket or Imageshack using the [IMAGE] tag, or you can upload an attachment to your post - files can be any pixel dimensions but are limited to 400k in size. Youtube videos can also be linked in to a post.

The forums essentially match what was available on the original Clydesite, with a few additional categories. And if new categories are required then it will be easy to add them in - just contact myself in the first instance at stuart@md93.co.uk.

Two omissions at the moment are lack of Picture Galleries for a ‘Picture of the week’ and the Clydebuilt database. The galleries may be possible to add in the future - let’s get the site bedded down first and we’ll see how it goes. The Clydebuilt database is out of our hands for now.

And that’s about it. Feel free to send me an email to give a suggestion for the new site or just to comment on it. Being a new site there may be some glitches to start with (hopefully not) but all comments will be taken on board. Let’s make the new site the best there is for covering the Clyde, Wartime and Towage-related topics, not forgetting the friendship available through the Foghorn.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

dougie-coull

Re: Welcome

Post by dougie-coull » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:35 am

Just to announce my arrival on the Forum :)

Thanks to those who have put in the effort and work that have brought us here.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for joining us.
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi folks
Just to say I have registered. I'm very envious of those who can get all these things together and make them work. Thanks to all.

Paul Strathdee
Paul Strathdee

Gary Lucas

Post by Gary Lucas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Stuart,

Refreshing to see a site that listens to what it's members want.

Thanks for your time and effort, and of course everyone else's in producing this great site.

Very impressed!
Last edited by Gary Lucas on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Lucas

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:39 pm

To Stuart and the team

Many thanks for creating the site and good luck for the future.

Colin
Colin Gillies

StewartM

Post by StewartM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Again, well done everyone, I'm still finding my way around. :)
Last edited by StewartM on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart D Mungin

Ron S

Post by Ron S » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:57 pm

A big thank you to the management team at ClydeMaritime. :)
Ron Stewart

Benvalla

Post by Benvalla » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Now maybe I can have my daily fix. What or who is the hierarchy of the new site?

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:23 pm

The site has been built and hosted by myself, but with input and guidance from George Robinson, Angus MacKinnon and Alasdair MacKenzie. and at the moment that's the hierarchy. As things settle down, if required we can add new moderators for specific sections as necessary (maybe not necessary!). But plans will be put in place so that more than one person will have access to the gubbins 'behind the scenes' so to speak.

chrisbarton

Post by chrisbarton » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Well done to all involved in the set-up.
It looks to be an excellent forum.
How good to be getting together again.
Happy Day!! :D

japottinger

Post by japottinger » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:51 pm

I second the grateful thanks to the set up lads for all the work and hassle involved. cheers,
Jim

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Glad you got in, Jim

Boatsam

Post by Boatsam » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Sounds like its going to be great - thank you.

Flyers

Post by Flyers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:12 pm

To all who have made this possible, many thanks.

Now, lets get on with the show ;-)
George.

Alan Hughes

Post by Alan Hughes » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:21 pm

mcmahos wrote:The site has been built and hosted by myself, but with input and guidance from George Robinson, Angus MacKinnon and Alasdair MacKenzie. and at the moment that's the hierarchy. As things settle down, if required we can add new moderators for specific sections as necessary (maybe not necessary!). But plans will be put in place so that more than one person will have access to the gubbins 'behind the scenes' so to speak.
Many Thanks to you all for getting the site up and running and keeping all the old boards going, I'm sure many many people will be pleased to see it.
Cheers
Alan.

Chrisjfarmer

Post by Chrisjfarmer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:33 pm

To Stuart and the team

Many thanks for creating the site and good luck for the future.

Chris

BRIAN MURPHY

Post by BRIAN MURPHY » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:48 pm

Glad to join in again,and many congrats.to all involved in getting the site together.Hopefully the Bristol Channel Section might arise from the ashes as well.
Cheers from Wales, :D
Brian.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Brian

I can add in a Bristol subforum if it would be of benefit?

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Brian, you could do as I have done for Humber, start under BoT with first posting headed 'Bristol Channel' then make it a continuing thread by adding photos using the 'reply' option instead of new topic.

ps or as Stuart has posted while I was writing this!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

BRIAN MURPHY

Post by BRIAN MURPHY » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks Stuart and George,unfortunately I can't post any pictures,but I will put in a topic and hope that some of the other regular lads follow it up,
Brian.

Bob_F

Post by Bob_F » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:28 am

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your efforts in getting this site up so quickly, been looking around all the areas and like what I see. Now I have an excuse to get out of the chores "Got to catch up on what is happening on the new site.

Thanks again.

Bob_F
Bob Frizzell.

Andrew Gilmour

Post by Andrew Gilmour » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:52 am

Well done and thanks to all concerened.

Andra.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Very heartening to see the various complimentary remarks and signing-on of members, at a satisfactory rate of knots.

I would just like to say two things :

Firstly - whereas Stuart, who has starred in setting up ClydeMaritime up in a matter of a few days, has included myself in the small team who achieved this, modesty prevails on me to disclaim any credit in this regard (would that I was so clever!) and all credit should be limited to Stuart, George Robinson and Alasdair MacKenzie, they have worked hard these past few days and knitted this together par excellence, it their achivement only - for the benefit of the rest of us. Thank you gentlemen. (Jings, I bet George has never been called one of these before now !) :)

Secondly - whereas we must be grateful to have this talent on board, and I am sure there are quite a few others of the membership who could derive these same skills, and on this the first week anniversary of the loss of of very a good friend and erstwhile daily companion - Clydesite - let us all acknowledge and be grateful to the Founder of that amazing forum for bringing the membership together in the first place, some many years ago. We all owe Bruce Biddulph a lot for this, many friendships and associations have been formed over the years through his wonderful creation. Thank you, Bruce.

Now folks, as they would say on the North side of the Clyde (where the rough folk live!) "get yersel tore right intae it" ;)

Angus.
Angus Mac Kinnon

willmurray

Post by willmurray » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Just back from dreich Cardiff to a dreich Greenock!!!!!

Only scratched the surface if this new forum, but looks really good so far.

I have only one question, is there a size limitation in characters for posting messages.

Cheers & thanks to all involved.

Will

dmacleod

Post by dmacleod » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Now that I've had a "walk" around the site I can only say that I like what I see in the setup. I can see the effort put in by all those concerned to produce such a user friendly source of communication and sharing of experiences/knowledge and intelligent points of view in a serious manner(maybe not always and that should probably come under an entertainment/comedy section!) My appreciation and thanks must go to the organisers of this new "venture" and feel it will be a great success once it's full away.

The Inchinnan/Ness man
Donald Macleod

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Folks,

Glad to be onboard - onwards and upwards as they say!!

Gav :mrgreen:

davy k

Post by davy k » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 am

Great to see the site up and running and a big thank you to everyone involved
cheers Dave

Jaap Bijl

Post by Jaap Bijl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:44 am

I believe that I am accepted. Thanks. Jaap.
Jaap.

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Very glad to see this new site up and running, and congrats to all those clever folk that have got it together so quickly. I was on my west coast trip when all the excitement happened, and what with that, and getting a new laptop, it is onlu today i found the site, thanks to Bruce's info. Best wishes to all involved.
david watson

Jackdusty

Post by Jackdusty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Just joined the group from Nova Scotia and look forward to my associations with the Clyde.
Cheers
Al

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Good to see you Al, keep us up to date with Canadian east coast comings and going!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

tugplug

Post by tugplug » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Hello George and Team,

Sad that we lost Riversea but good to know that there is an alternative. I am not really a forum enthousiast but do like to share my images with other interested people. Wish you all best luck with this site and hope that it grows to a positive meeting place of shipping interests.

Jan Plug

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Good to see you Jan .... and plenty of scope to post your fine tug photos on here, if you wish!
Safe sailing, George
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Gordy

Post by Gordy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Greetings from another new start.
Got here via Ships Nostalgia when the name of a Clyde shipyard that I'd never heard of linked to this site via Google.
I look forward to increasing my knowledge of Clyde ships and shipbuilding.
I was an apprentice engine fitter at Fairfields '61-66, Merchant Navy with Blue Flue, Texaco and Stirling Shipping, and Offshore with Uncle Joe.
Now 100% retired and enjoying life in Helensburgh :D

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:10 pm

A warm welcome to CM, Gordy. I'm sure you will find plenty of interest in here.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Vegaskip

Post by Vegaskip » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:38 am

Hi , I'm new on site, Jim Rae, 'vegaskip' I am a member of some other maritime sites, so you might know me. Main interest is Marine Art, and I'll have a go at posting some.
regards Jim

Return to “READ ME FIRST”