Server Update

Info about the site
mcmahos
Site Admin

Server Update

Post by mcmahos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:18 pm

We're back!

Sorry for the amount of downtime there, but something hadn't been set up on the new server properly which meant that php files weren't been run and my last remaining non-grey hairs were starting to change colour!. Have got to say the the technical support guys have been excellent in responding to all my queries.

Anyway, for now, please try posting and let me know if there's any glitches. One issue that I'm aware of is that you'll probably need to login on every visit for the moment as I'm directing the site to a temporary IP address. Once I resolve some issues on other sites that I run the domain name will return properly, but that's not likely to be before this coming weekend.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Server Update

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Excellent work, Stuart - well done.
Angus Mac Kinnon

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Well done, Stuart, and you kept us all informed throughout your stuggles. At least we could resort to the drink!!
david watson

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:24 pm

A big thanks to Head Honcho for a difficult task which I am sure none of us could have tackled, some have resorted to drink, some to ironing and some to munching millet but hey now life is back to normal (you call this normal, I hear you say).
Viva CM.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

markes

Post by markes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Stuart your hard work is much appreciated.For your information I have today posted photos which I can view ok,photos posted prior to upgrade are still scrambled,if thats the correct terminoligy,you may well be aware of this already.
Thanks again for keeping us well informed.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:37 pm

can you give me an example
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:39 pm

it's ok - I see what you mean

"!££%^%&%^$*#

:)

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Looks like they haven't picked up any of the 'old' photos or maybe it's just a setting thing (hopefully!).
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:03 pm

According to Mr Google it looks like the attachments may have been uploaded as in ASCII format as opposed to binary format. Joy. Might put the board offline again tonight to test a few things and start uploading 2Gb+ of data. Thankfully(?) it was the host that transferred it previously!

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 pm

The old saying - "if in doubt, do it yourself . . . "

I'm in the process of downloading all the original attachments, and once that is complete will re-upload them to the new server. However, given that there are over 16000 of them and take up at least 2.5Gb it's going to take some time!

I'm not going to be able to do much with them tomorrow as I've got an all-day workshop followed by a dinner at work. Best guess at the moment is going to be sometime over the weekend before they are (hopefully) restored.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Here, what's this nonsense allowing work to interfere with the seamless well-iled running of ClydeMaritime, eh? Jings ..... ye jist cannae get the staff these days, so ye cannae ......

When we broke down at sea you worked around the clock until job done .... whit's yer problemo .... ?
Angus Mac Kinnon

vic mcclymont

Post by vic mcclymont » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 am

Stuart, welcome back, wiz t BP engineers that you were using to sort the problem?

Hey Troonite, bet you didn't have much spare time at sea, fixing all ra BP engine probs
Vic McClymont

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 am

mcmahos wrote:The old saying - "if in doubt, do it yourself . . . "

I'm in the process of downloading all the original attachments, and once that is complete will re-upload them to the new server. However, given that there are over 16000 of them and take up at least 2.5Gb it's going to take some time!

I'm not going to be able to do much with them tomorrow as I've got an all-day workshop followed by a dinner at work. Best guess at the moment is going to be sometime over the weekend before they are (hopefully) restored.

Stuart, thanks for all your work so far - regarding the re-instatement of attachments - take it easy and enjoy your dinner without needing to resort to the Rennies - we know they are coming back so we can wait for them.

SC

Henk

Post by Henk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 pm

Functioning perfect again Stuart!! Thanks for all your work!
Henk de Winde

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:45 pm

It always amazes me how you get it all back together again!!
Paul Strathdee

davesowdon

Post by davesowdon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:25 am

Auto login doesn't seem to work for me since the upgrade.

Is anyone else having to login afresh every time?

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:22 am

Yes Dave, I think this auto log-in will be restored soon as possible.
Your parrot friend.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

davesowdon

Post by davesowdon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:11 am

Merci m'sieu

cheers

Dave

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:13 am

C'est rien.
Ton ami Hercule.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Think that's the auto-login fixed for now. Still downloading the old attachments - ditched my original ftp program and am using a new one which is so much faster and easier.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:40 am

Excellent, Heid Techie & Real Ale Mannie, great to have all features back on line. See we have a new French member on the team, sacre bleu et mon Dieu - Yorkie sur les Dales !
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:11 am

Angus Mac Kinnon wrote:Excellent, Heid Techie & Real Ale Mannie, great to have all features back on line. See we have a new French member on the team, sacre bleu et mon Dieu - Yorkie sur les Dales !
Ah, you refer to the origins of ze parrot identity, not a Norwegian Blue but ze famoos Hercule Parrot, tug detective, first inhabited Tugtalk many years ago and the little blighter keeps trying to get back in on the act. Fed on best Ayrshire Millet from the Troon Millet Mining Company, prop. A. Mac (mind the gap) Kinnon of course. Zut alors!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 pm

In a rare moment of excessive magnanimity, I might even go so far as to extol your skills of maritime detection, not only to the tug-boat fraternity, but indeed to those unfortunates about to steam their last en passage to the breakers yard. Yes ... it definitely must be that fine best quality Ayrshire millet that does it .... no other explanation possible ....
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm

mcmahos wrote:Think that's the auto-login fixed for now. Still downloading the old attachments - ditched my original ftp program and am using a new one which is so much faster and easier.
Nae auto log-in from Yorkieland.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Doxford Diesel

Post by Doxford Diesel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Nice to see the webmaster keeping members informed of progress, using Twitter, and not making excuse after excuse instead. Thanks Mr McMahon, your efforts both in the upgrade and the progress reports are much appreciated.

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Nae auto log-in from Yorkieland.[/quote]

Thought you auto know, I am auto-ing in OK now, thanks!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks Doxford Diesel. Appreciated.

The workings of servers etc are somewhat alien even to me and the upgrade has not been as smooth as I had wished or anticipated. Doesn't help when you've got a day-job to fit in as well. And this is only one of around 10 sites that I manage, although this is the biggest and has the top priority.

Downloads are continuing - currently at around 25,000 files and counting. I'd forgotten that the ftp program only shows 10000 files at at at time. Reckon the final tally will be around 35000 files taking up about 6Gb!!! And then it needs to be re-uploaded.

Tomorrow might not see much progress as I'm planning to go up to Greenock to see the Tall Ships.

Francis GIB

Post by Francis GIB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks Stuart! I was getting worried with what I should do with my backlog.......

All the best

Francis
Francis - No promises on obtaining the right results, but promise to do my best to get it!

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Francis

Your photos are generally unaffected as you hotlink them in from another site so post away!

Stuart

davidships

Post by davidships » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:10 am

I can see Stuart, that you have been very busy indeed - and it's appreciated. But it's taken up to now to twig that the domain location has changed. Until George put me right, I was still trying to access at index.php which says nothing about the new location or the new address, nor updated since Monday. I wonder whether there are others out there as dim as me - oh, probably not.

best wishes

David
David Asprey

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks for that comment, David. Wasn't aware of that 'issue'. Will see what I can do to resolve it. However, the new address with all the numbers etc is just temporary until I resolve some issues on other sites that I also maintain - if you just use forums.clydemaritime.co.uk then that will redirect to the new address. I'm hoping to have that fixed by next weekend if at all possible.

As another wee update, that should be all the attachments and thumbnails re-uploaded. They appear to be ok - let me know if there are any issues with them. In total we ended up with 31000 images taking up 3.1Gb - which I left uploading throughout yesterday and last night.

Return to “Housekeeping”