Thanks for Posts

Info about the site
admin
Site Admin

Thanks for Posts

Post by admin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Last new feature to be added for now is a little button where you can thank a user for their post.

At the right hand edge of a user's posting there should be a little thumbs up icon which you can click if you like the post. Afterwards, below their name and also within forum listings, you should see a little row of stars saying how many folk have like it.

In your User Control Panel you have the option to have an email or PM send when you receive a thanks if you are so inclined.

Let me know if you experience any issues. Had a couple of glitches when installing but I think I've fixed them.

Stuart
My Flickr site
My website: md93.co.uk
My blog: longtail.co.uk

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Thanks for Posts

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Uh .... couldn't see any we thumb sticking up, awaiting clicking, if I knew how to do it I'd send you a thumb stickin' doon and deduct three of these wee golden stars you awarded yersel ..... :cry:
Angus Mac Kinnon

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:40 pm

You might need to clear your cache in the browser for the thumbs up/down to appear. It doesn't appear beside your own posts, only other folks (obviously). Seems to be appearing ok for me in IE9 / Chrome / Safari on Mac and PC.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:51 pm

It works but watch it Angus as after you click the thumb up, it turns into a thumb down so you can 'un-thank' for the posting if anyone gets cocky.... so just behave yerself :thumbup: :thumbdown:
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Let me know if you receive a PM or Email (or both) when you get a 'thanks'. There's a bug in the system somewhere which seems to send one no matter what your User Control Panel settings are - which I thought I'd fixed.
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 pm

No e-mails yet, just the message below the message 'thanked' and the growing tally under our names as we test it out :D
p.s. no need to thank me for this one .......... :crazy:
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 pm

yorkieman wrote:It works but watch it Angus as after you click the thumb up, it turns into a thumb down so you can 'un-thank' for the posting if anyone gets cocky.... so just behave yerself :thumbup: :thumbdown:
Ah'm no' playin' .... life's already difficult enuff ...... ma fumbs are staying in ma poakits, so they ur ... :(
Angus Mac Kinnon

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Now you've really lost me folks. But as Angus will tell you, that's not difficult for a deckie. I haven't worked out how to do it yet, but why would I want to? What is the requirement to know if somebody likes your post or not? If they don't like it then they may tell you. In my 'umble opinion, this is just another complication for simple folk to navigate. I don't see anything positive in this.
Now, if you could simplifly the picture posting and posting identification process then I would be able to give you a five star smiley!
david watson

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi David

What do you find tricky with the picture posting?

The easiest way is to click the 'Upload Attachment' tab below a reply window and then it's simply a case of choosing your picture (as long as it's under 400k) and then clicking 'Add file' or the [+] simply to add another one. Max of the 3 attachments allowed per post.

The logic behind the 'Thanks for Post' is that it may encourage those who read the forum but don't post much into clicking something to show their gratitude. If it doesn't work, then it can be removed.

Return to “Housekeeping”