Recent site access problem

Info about the site
mcmahos
Site Admin

Recent site access problem

Post by mcmahos » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:17 pm

A few weeks ago a member of this site suddenly lost access to it. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing between his ISP and our site's hosts, it transpired that his IP address had been blocked by our hosts due to "excessive" multiple logins. That was a new one on me, however they unblocked the IP address and the user was able to log back in without any problems.

What my site host suggested could have caused it was if multiple tabbed windows were open (more than 5) at a time then that could have caused the blacklisting, so if you are prone to browsing with multiple windows open, then it may be wise to restrict the number of windows open at any one time on ClydeMaritime. It could be that the IP address had been 'hijacked' and was trying to break into the site - we did have a period of successful rogue logins that were posting spam messages on the forum - it could have even been linked to that. I have no control though over what the host allows access to and what they deem to be excessive.

In short, just stay alert, and if you run into any issues like that, just drop me an email.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Return to “Housekeeping”