YM Taichung

A place to cover incidents / accidents / sinkings etc from around the world.
terry.thwaite

YM Taichung

Post by terry.thwaite » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 am

YM Taichung
Attachments
YM Taichung.jpg
Terry Thwaite

E28

Re: YM Taichung

Post by E28 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm

I read recently that at any one time, there are in excess of 10,000 (ten thousand) containers floating around in the seven seas, lost overboard from ships.
Some apparently are likely to remain a danger to shipping for years after they are lost overboard, remaining just under the surface and a serious hazard should it be struck.
In the Pacific, a large number literally go round and round with the currents and Ocean movements.

Intriguing to know what the value of all that lost gear may be inside those tins.
And what does a container itself actually cost.
Raid - Trade - Aid
Thats all folks. Sean. E28

Henk

Re: YM Taichung

Post by Henk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:45 pm

You got the point Sean! Be sure, it is not the container that is of some value, but first of all: what is inside and secondly: what is the danger of following damage?
The biggest problem these days is the connection between two containers. Five years ago it was good enough. Nowadays with a hight of more then 10 boxes secured at one single very small connection 30 meters lower, is the problem now and only Maersk and Evergreen are really working on this problem by placing gides on their ships!
Did you ever had a look at that 10 cm lock at the bottem of a container? Did you ever count the boxed above the main deck? Did you ever thought about the forces 30 meter lower on that small hooking?
I don't have studied about such forces, but I am a realist. Got the point?
Henk de Winde

Return to “MAYDAY”