Help Requested

A place to cover incidents / accidents / sinkings etc from around the world.
Angus Mac Kinnon

Help Requested

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Trying to find out any details of the vessel AYRSHIRE said to have been lost out in the Western Isles, details of the cause of loss not known. Date also unknown, but said to be before the war - presumably WWII - thus around the late 1930s possibly. Any help or information welcomed.
Angus Mac Kinnon

Magoonigal

Re: Help Requested

Post by Magoonigal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Cannot find anything that fits the Bill, Angus.......

Nothing in the Up North volume of Larne or in Hocking.

Only Ayrshire that was around then was the 1903 Scottish Shire Line vessel and she was lost by Fire off Ceylon in November 1926.

There was a Trawler called Ayrshire but she was not built until 1938.
Paul Hood.

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:28 am

The only 'loose end' via Miramar would be the trawler AYRSHIRE of 1897 by Edawards Bros., North Shields, no info on her fate.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Magoonigal

Post by Magoonigal » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:39 am

I discounted her because she is not in the 1924 Register or the 1928 Navy List.......

Coast Lines had an Ayrshire Coast........
Paul Hood.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:42 am

Nothing in the RCHAMS Canmore database Angus, except for a steam paddle tug of that name lost at Alloa in the 1800's.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 am

Paul : George : Alasdair

Thanks for your help and checks. Personally I was dubious from the outset on this one, but insofar as the information source (book) and author were both credible, I thought perhaps it was possible I had just never come across the incident previouisly so thought I would throw it out to the experts.

Sorry taking up your time without gain, if I get any further with it I will, of course, be sure to let you.

Now, had she been carrying 24,000 cases of Spey Royal, Highland Nectar, King's Ransom and other miscellaneous fine malts, I'm sure we would have heard all about her !
Angus Mac Kinnon

Magoonigal

Post by Magoonigal » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 am

But what a terrible thought if all that fine Malt had gone to a watery grave!!

Current bottles, 21 yr old Poit Dhubh, 10 yr old Ardbeg and a 17 yr old Old Pulteney!!
Paul Hood.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Angus Mac Kinnon wrote:Paul : George : Alasdair

Thanks for your help and checks. Personally I was dubious from the outset on this one, but insofar as the information source (book) and author were both credible, I thought perhaps it was possible I had just never come across the incident previouisly so thought I would throw it out to the experts.

Sorry taking up your time without gain, if I get any further with it I will, of course, be sure to let you.

Now, had she been carrying 24,000 cases of Spey Royal, Highland Nectar, King's Ransom and other miscellaneous fine malts, I'm sure we would have heard all about her !
The author Arthur Swinson who produced many non-fiction works and historical documentaries, including the famous Scotch On The Rocks - The True Story Behind Whisky Galore mentions the vessel Ayrshire being wrecked, before the war, in a spot close to where the S.S. Politician came to her untimely end.

Being a serious author, whose research was fairly meticulous, I would be surprised if this information was erroneous, but I cannot account for such a shipwreck under that name - at least not until now, but the search continues !
Angus Mac Kinnon

Francis GIB

Post by Francis GIB » Sun May 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Found this piece whilst looking for something else...bit far from the Western Isles??? Belated contribution...

Ayrshire. Steel steamer, 9188 tons. Built 1903. Lbd 460 x 58.8 x 31.89 ft. Owned by the Scottish Shire Line which had vessels trading between England, Australia and New Zealand from the early days of steamships. Left Australia for England in November 1926 with a cargo of wheat, wool, and meat; on 26 November, when about five hundred kilometres from Colombo, a fire broke out in her bunkers. As the flames shot up more than fifty metres, the crew were rescued by the City of Nagpur and Aeneas, while the naval sloop Lupin took her in tow. However the rudder on the Ayrshire jammed and the tow was abandoned, leaving her to be scuttled on 2 December 1926.

Regards

Francis
Francis - No promises on obtaining the right results, but promise to do my best to get it!

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun May 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Evening, Francis :

Very kind of you to bring that one to attention - thank you. I did know of that incident, and her subsequent loss, but she is not the vessel alleged to have foundered on the Southern coast of South Uist sometime before WWII, thought to be in the years between 1930 - 1938. However, thanks for the alert to this one of the same name. Angus.
Angus Mac Kinnon

iain crosbie

Post by iain crosbie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Angus,

I wonder if this vessel wrecked in Shetland might be relevant:
http://www.swarthoull.com/ayrshire/html ... _life.html

and here are some other "Ayrshire"s, for your interest (I hope!):

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=9Z ... cked&hl=en

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... 10128.2.45

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=eS ... cked&hl=en

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... 01.2.14.11

There are many other "Ayrshire"s lost in various parts of the world, as you will be able to see from these old newspaper archives.

Cheers

Iain

Return to “MAYDAY”