Dr Joe McKendrick of Waverley

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
SCameron

Dr Joe McKendrick of Waverley

Post by SCameron » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:04 am

It is with the deepest regret and a very heavy heart that I have to intimate the passing of one of the greatest of PS Waverley's supporters over the past 30 years. Dr Joe McKendrick, who had served as a Waverley trustee and director of Waverley Steam Navigation and Waverley Excursions as well as serving in various senior capacities in the the PSPS, the PS Kingswear Castle Trust and Blairmore Pier Trust, died suddenly,after a short illness, in the Westyern Infirmary, Glasgow, last night. He was Principal teacher of Guidance at Jordanhill School in Glasgow until his retirement three years ago at the age of 60. Joe's contribution to Waverley was immense, even most diehard enthusiasts will be unaware of he extent of Joe's dedication. However, as a friend of Joe for more than 35 years I am struggling to find more words at the moment ,so please excuse my not being able to expand on these at this time. I will try to do so later and will post detail's of Joe's funeral when I know them.

Stuart Cameron
Last edited by SCameron on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

alasdairmac

Re: Dr Joe McKendrick of Waverley

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:40 am

Very sad news indeed. I dont claim to have known Joe well but he always came across as a thoroughly nice chap. He will be sadly missed by all involved with Waverley and I extend my deepest condolences to his family.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Number6

Post by Number6 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Stuart

Thanks for the notice - we were aware of Joe's illness and that his time was probably not long.

He was a dedicated lifetime supporter and worker and will be a hard act to follow

valeman

Post by valeman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Stuart:
Thanks for the information. Joe was a year ahead of me at university both as an undergraduate and graduate student. I didn't know him well and did not learn of his shipping interests until long afterwards but I had a chance to meet him again on Waverley a few years ago. Sad indeed. Graham
Graham Lappin

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:53 pm

I know a 'Joe McKendrick' and struggling a bit.

He regularly takes photographs.

Is there more than one?
Cheers,
Dougie

River Clyde - AIS Sharer ID: cX

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics
Web: http://www.Dougie-Coull-Photography.com

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Dougie

Different one I think

Stuart

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 pm

SCameron wrote:Dougie

Different one I think
Thanks Stuart - appreciated.
Cheers,
Dougie

River Clyde - AIS Sharer ID: cX

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics
Web: http://www.Dougie-Coull-Photography.com

duncanwilson

Post by duncanwilson » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm so very sorry to hear of Joe's passing. It is only within the last couple of years that I got to know him better.
He was always not only helpful and approachable, but always made time to have a few words with everyone he met.
I extend my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 pm

Jesus Stuart that knocked me all right. I wasn't even aware Joe had taken ill.
Very sorry to hear the sad news, Joe gave me a lot of help when I worked on Waverley and with my school exams. I always enjoyed seeing him again when we were aboard.

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 am

That's a terrific shock, Stuart. I last saw him at the Preview Day at the Riverside Museum where we discussed the merits or otherwise of the ship model displays!
Paul Strathdee

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:41 am

Joe's funeral will take place at Clydebank Crematorium (at the north end of the Erskine Bridge) on Tuesday 21st August at 3.30 p.m. The service will be taken by the Jordanhill School Chaplain.

alasdairmac

Obituary : Dr Joe McKendrick of Waverley

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:12 am

Dr Joe's obituary in today's "Herald"

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/o ... k.18642625

duncanwilson

Post by duncanwilson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:19 pm

John MacLeod wrote an excellent article in the Scottish Daily Mail yesterday about Joe and his involvement with Waverley and as a teacher at Jordanhill School.
I would like to have gone to his funeral, but was unable to go due to work commitments. Can anyone please tell me who gave the eulogy?

millfield153a

Post by millfield153a » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 am

Joe's eulogy was given by the Revd Colin Renwick, Chaplain of Jordanhill School. The Head Girl and Head Boy of the school were at the funeral.

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:29 pm

millfield153a wrote:Joe's eulogy was given by the Revd Colin Renwick, Chaplain of Jordanhill School. The Head Girl and Head Boy of the school were at the funeral.

Further to Iain's note, Rev'd Renwick intimated at the commital that PS Waverley would have stopped at Blairmore, her Red Ensign was lowered to half mast and, after a short eulogy delivered by Capt Clark and Iain Quinn, a wreath was cast upon the still waters of Loch Long. The steamer gave a long salute on her steam whistle before slowly moving off towards Dunoon . This allowed members of the crew, all of whom held Joe in great regard, that could not attend the funeral service, the opportunity to pay their respects to him. There are some pictures of this tribute to Joe at
http://pspsscotland.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ibute.html

As expected a large number of people attended the funeral service at North Dalnotter including a large contingent of members of staff and former pupils from Jordanhill School, past and present Waverley crew members, represenratives of the Blairmore Pier and Paddle Steamer Kingswear Castle Trusts, the Loch Lomond Steamship Company and PSPS members from around the UK. Attached below is the front cover of the order of service which those of you that knew Joe but could not attend the service may like to retain in memory of him.
scan0001.jpg

Return to “FOGHORN”