The 60 Year Armistice

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
SCameron

The 60 Year Armistice

Post by SCameron » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:02 pm

The Korean War was something of a blind spot for me until I visited the Republic of Korea (i.e. South Korea) for the first time in 2007, following the acquisition of my employers by the South Korean company Doosan Heavy Industries and Construction (Doosan is the oldest of Korea's 'chaebols' dating back to the 1890s). It was only then that I realised what a war of attrition it had been, with British forces, though small in number compared to those from the US, suffering disproportionately severe losses. It came as something of a surprise to learn that the Korean War has never been declared as over, the indefinite peace hanging on an armistice aggreement signed 60 years ago yesterday on 27th July 1953 - see picture below. I was also surprised to find that the only memorial in the UK dedicated solely to the memory of British servicemen lost in the Korean War is in Scotland, in the Bathgate Hills near Falkirk.

Photo: July 27, 1953 - Koean War armistice signed at Panmunjon, Korea.
Attachments
Korea Armistice 27 July 1953.jpg

yorkieman

Re: The 60 Year Armistice

Post by yorkieman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:39 pm

And we can see that the happy people of North Korea are celebrating the anniversary in true NK style
(my wife says she wants to slap the little fellow).
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Return to “FOGHORN”