New Shipbuilding Database

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
chrislaff1912

Post by chrislaff1912 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Folks

Just joined

Am researching Clydebuilt shipping for Family History project.

147 Ships involved.

First question what happened to Clydesite and the Ship search database

Secondly is the information accessable anywhere else.

I look forward to your replies and to future chats

Regards

Chris

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Clydesite

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Chris :
It may safely be assumed that the original Clydesite (incorporating Foghorn, Tug Talk, etc) has, like the shipping it represented, gone to the breakers.

For your purposes, it would be recommended you address your queries to the excellent team behind the ClydeMaritime website.

Angus Mac Kinnon
Angus Mac Kinnon

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi Chris. Welcome to ClydeMaritime. First off, we dont know what's happened to Clydesite. Its relibility has been in question for some time and its owner, Bruce Biddulph, isn't the easiest guy to contact. There is a thread running elsewhere in our forums which will help you get the picture.

As for the Clydebuilt database, it's possible loss has always been the big concern and so a wee while back a few dedicated souls started the process of recreating it on a safe platform. I am sure that one of them will pick up on this thread and let you know where they are at with it.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 am

OK then as Alasdair has dropped the hint, here is some news.

NEW CLYDE-BUILT SHIPS DATABASE

A year ago a small group began to work on a new Clyde-built database, in the sure belief that the present (past?) one might well be lost.
All initial data came from the personal records of one of our colleagues, and has been extended by additional data from public sources. Nothing has been taken directly from the old database. The new database is founded on commercial software and our entire philosophy has been to ensure that it will be permanent and able to outlive any individual, for the benefit of future generations. For this purpose, a charitable body called The Clyde Maritime Heritage Trust is in the process of being formed, its constitution is agreed and it just awaits some signatures from Founding Trustees.
After a year's work by the original group plus some very dedicated supporting editors, basic details for all 24900 vessels are entered, and 7500 of these have been fully completed often with data not in the old database, and 4100 images have been added. More are being edited every day.
We are not quite on the point of a public launching but hope that can now be achieved within a month or so, when a further announcement will be made here.
We must also stress that Stuart and colleagues who started this CM forum have been fully aware and it is intended for the two sites to complement each other with this one remaining as the main forum.

On behalf of Clyde Maritime Heritage Trust
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:47 am

George :

Had held back from making any announcement in this regard until the business was further advanced, but glad you have done so as that 'clears the air' and provides some comfort for those for whom the deteriorating situation and unknown prognosis for the original old Clydesite and sister sites, particularly TugTalk, has been a depressing and worrying business. Your news will doubtless cheer them up. If only you had a half-decent brew in Yorkshire I'm sure there would have been a few pints coming your way ...... :D but let us be thankful for the small but highly dedicated and processional band who have made this a possibility :clap:

Angus Mac Kinnon
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks Angus, and as I've told you before, you are always welcome for a pint at our local The Duke of Cumberland :lol:
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

donaldmac

Post by donaldmac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm

George,

Many thanks for the update and to the crew for pulling this excellent piece of our heritage together, this is excellent news and I look forward to seeing this grand lady being launched! :clap: Regards Donald

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Just to update this thread, the Clyde Maritime Heritage Trust formally came into being on 1 September 2013 with the founding trustees as Bruce Allan, Ian Buxton, David Asprey and myself George Robinson.
We are currently establishing management structures and intend to invite others from the community as Supporter members.
Almost 10,000 ship records have now been fully expanded in the new Clyde-built Database and so we are around 40% through the workload, with the valued assistance of several other members of this forum.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Clydebuilt1971

Re: New Shipbuilding Database

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:08 pm

This is great news. I have a collection of Lamonts yard photos and also shots from the Climie Collection if images are required!

G

SCameron

Re: New Shipbuilding Database

Post by SCameron » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:33 am

Clydebuilt1971 wrote:This is great news. I have a collection of Lamonts yard photos and also shots from the Climie Collection if images are required!

G

Good news indeed - best wishes with this venture, gentlemen

Regards
Stuart Cameron.

Return to “FOGHORN”