Memorial for Angus & Frances

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
Tom Carreyette

Memorial for Angus & Frances

Post by Tom Carreyette » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:42 am

We recently passed the anniversary of the death our great friend and contributor Angus Mac Kinnon, who was so much a part of both the original Clydesite Foghorn and the ClydeMaritime Foghorn forums at different times. So I am placing this message on both Foghorns to let you know my intentions for a memorial, which I have mentioned previously on Clydesite Foghorn.

He is very much missed by all of us who knew him, I am sure, even those who never actually met him in person. For those of us lucky enough to be at the Maclean Museum gathering in Greenock (25/11/06), during the exhibition of John Young’s paintings, we will also have good memories of his wife, Frances, originally from Malta.

Sadly we lost Frances 2/4/15 and Angus 15/8/15, which was quite a sudden shock to us all and of course to the family. I have been in contact with their daughter Stella about a memorial from their friends, here on these websites. I visited Eriskay 5/6/16 and saw their final resting place, in beautiful sunny conditions. My three photos taken that day show their house, still belonging to the family, and the view from just outside it. Although none of the family was there on that day, Stella invited me to take a look.

What I have agreed with Stella, her sisters and brother, Mary, Angela, Donna and Michael, is to place a wooden memorial bench outside the front of the house, where Angus and Frances would so often sit enjoying the view. So I have ordered a two seater Sandhurst style wooden bench (in teak) of the type shown in the illustration. It will be fitted with a brass plate reading as follows:

FOR ANGUS AND HIS DEAR WIFE FRANCES,
FONDLY REMEMBERED BY THEIR MANY FRIENDS SHARING A MARITIME INTEREST.
THEY BROUGHT US TOGETHER - ALWAYS GENEROUS AND CHEERY UNTIL THEIR FINAL DAYS.

The family are very appreciative of this and my communications with Stella have been very warm and friendly. I already have a list of 12 names from Clydesite Foghorn of people who wish to be counted in to make a contribution to the cost of the memorial. This message is to give an opportunity to any others who were so far unaware of this to also make a contribution if they wish. I suggest £10 or £20 according to means and level of response.

The total cost of providing, delivering and installing the bench looks like being in the region £300-350. I was particularly close to them both, so I am happy to make up any shortfall. If we should end up with too much I could think of other ideas, such as offering it to the family for enhancements/maintenance of the bench. Once I have most of the names and a feel for the numbers I will Private Message you on whichever Foghorn board you respond to this message. My PM will give you details of how to pay. Thankyou Angus, Frances, their daughters and son and all their friends here.

Best Wishes to All
Tom
Attachments
DSCF3492&501-2&Bench.jpg
Tom

Tom Carreyette

Re: Memorial for Angus & Frances

Post by Tom Carreyette » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:58 pm

IMG_7783&8073-6.jpg
Pictures of the finished article at Eriskay taken by their daughter, Stella, earlier this month.
Tom

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for arranging that on our behalf, it looks just fine. The only regret is that our friends Angus and Frances won't ever get to sit on it in the sun.
david watson

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:10 pm

PS Mr Moderator, I see the clocks havn't gone back yet!!!
david watson

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Beautiful, a lasting memory of two wonderful people. My sincere thanks to Tom for arranging it on our behalf.

Tom Carreyette

Post by Tom Carreyette » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Angus & Frances Memorial Update
To all who remember Angus, here’s an update on the memorial bench which many of you contributed to. If you were intending to contribute but lost contact with me at the critical time, my apologies but it is now too late. Just as I was giving out payment details the old Foghorn finally collapsed and there were some people for whom I had no other contact at the time apart from the old Private Message system. No matter – the thought was there and the contributions which I did receive were sufficient to cover all costs.
On Wednesday 5th April I finally got to Eriskay and visited the family home, built at the time of Angus’s great-grandfather on the land of the family croft going back six generations. It was nice to see and hear it alive with the voices of his grand-children. His daughter Stella was in residence with two daughters and a son of her own and she was also joined by a friend Lena with two young daughters. I was invited to dinner with them and spent the small surplus of contributions for the bench on a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates, which was gladly received. The family are delighted with the memorial bench for their parents, which now sits proudly outside the house overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, though it is put away for protection from the elements during the harsh winter months.
It was my third visit to the Isle of Eriskay, having passed through by causeway and ferry on my bicycle between South Uist and Barra the previous two years. This time I came by bus from the Uists and I spent three days on Eriskay, walking, reading, contemplating and enjoying the hospitality of my Bed & Breakfast, Stella, Lena and the children and also the ‘Politician’ pub. The pub is also a restaurant and takes its name from the famous Harrison Liner which foundered on the shore of Eriskay in 1941 with a cargo of whisky, giving rise to the story and film ‘Whisky Galore’, which was not much of an exaggeration of what actually happened here.
I’m putting this little selection on both the new Foghorn (associated with Tugtalk) and the Clydemaritime Foghorn which Angus participated in himself. I should just add that I am also remembering his wife Frances whom I also had the pleasure of meeting. I lived in Malta as a child 1959-62 (aged 3-7) while my father was working in the ship repair yard there, soon after it ceased operating as a British Royal Naval Dockyard. Angus worked there some years later on a desalination plant project and met Frances, who was Maltese and became his wife. She also became well known on Eriskay. It was a tragedy that they both died in 2015 leaving the family devastated. Their daughter Stella was my point of contact for organising the memorial, but they also had daughters Mary, Angela and Donna and a son, Michael. So far I have only met Stella and we have struck up a good friendship.
So the set starts with the bench itself outside their house, which I took just before leaving Eriskay on Sunday 9/4/17.
Attachments
Set 1 DSCN1370s.jpg
Set 2 Tom & Stella.jpg
On the bench with Stella, daughter of Angus and Frances Mac Kinnon outside their house on Eriskay Thursday 6/4/17.
Set 3 Tom & Michael.jpg
Inside the house same day with Stella’s son Michael, grandson of Angus and Frances. The poor lad was the youngest of 5 children there, all the others being girls, and their two mothers. So he was glad of some male company. I could feel Angus egging me on to give young Michael some moral support!
Tom

Tom Carreyette

Post by Tom Carreyette » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Home territory for Angus
In this little compilation taken between 6 and 9/4/17 we see the school building, bottom left where Angus went as a boy. It is still a primary school with a modern annex off to the right. Bottom right is the house where he spent much of his young life, now with a blue roof and used as a self-catering holiday let. Top left is the family house which Angus inherited and has remained in the family. The bench is outside the door. I meant to take a view from the bench, but it is very similar to the top right view from their drive. The house is called Lingay View after the most prominent of the little offshore islands visible here. It was great to have Stella as my guide giving me so much information about Angus and his ancestors from Eriskay.

Eriskay views
Another set of views around Eriskay taken 7-8/4/17. Top left is the road through the village (Balla) looking south towards the Isle of Barra which is linked to Eriskay by a small ferry. Angus and Frances are buried in the graveyard seen to the right with most of their ancestors. It is as if all the deceased are still right there in the community, not hidden away behind high walls. The house is just beyond those on the skyline. The top right view looks up towards it from the beach (the house on the left with cars outside). Behind is Eriskay’s highest hill Ben Scrien (670ft above sea level) and the bottom right view is looking down from it, with Lingay clearly seen beyond the rocky skerries. Their house is the lower of the two with red rooves, a little closer to the shore. Bottom left is the same beach as top right, but looking north towards South Uist which has been connected to Eriskay by causeway since 2002. Reverting to the top left view again, just to the right of the camper van is the ‘Politician’ pub.

POLITICIAN incident
Inside the ‘Politician’ pub they have two original bottles recovered from the wreck of the ship. The one on the right actually contains original whisky from the time of the incident. The bottle is marked with embossed glass reading ‘Spey Royal Whisky’. The bottle on the left has been refilled with more recent whisky and the original marking is ‘King’s Ransom Scotch Whisky’ while on the other side of the bottle it says ‘“Around the world” blend’. Both bottles also are marked ‘Federal law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle’. The whisky of several different brands was destined for the US market when loaded from bond at Liverpool, to be discharged at New Orleans.
The ship came to grief by running hard aground in the Sound of Eriskay in storm conditions, in the early hours of 4th February 1941. She struck submerged rocks just off the little island of Calvay, seen in the bottom left view from the Eriskay side, looking across to South Uist. I could not see any wreckage, but I believe part of the sunken after end which was never removed is sometimes still visible as a dark patch in the water just off the left, far side of the island from this view. The top left view in this group is from the ‘Politician’ pub looking towards Ben Scrien with sheep and Eriskay ponies roaming free.
Bottom right is a model of Harrison Line’s POLITICIAN in grounded condition as locals sought to recover some of her precious cargo ‘to safety’. The whisky was in No. 5 hold, between the after two ‘goalpost’ masts. Most of her remaining cargo had already been removed when the salvage attempt was abandoned. Perhaps the whisky was left aboard because no duty had been paid and it was only saleable in the USA. Also it was in the most damaged part of the ship, flooded with seawater and oil spillage.
The ship herself was launched at Haverton Hill on Tees in 1923 as CANADIANA for the Furness With group, but completed later that year as LONDON MERCHANT then was laid up in 1930 before being acquired by Harrison Line in 1935, who renamed her POLITICIAN. Her steam turbines from John Brown at Clydebank gave a speed of 14 knots. She was not running in a convoy at the time of her loss. Another part of her cargo was new bank notes for Jamaica, for she was scheduled to call at Kingston prior to New Orleans.
The ship model is actually at the Taigh Chearsabhagh museum/gallery/community hall at Lochmaddy in North Uist, where I arrived on Wednesday 5th April. The other pictures are the following two days in Eriskay.
Attachments
Set 4 DSCN1084&1130&1259&1361.jpg
Home territory for Angus
Set 5 DSCN1189-90&1268&1358.jpg
Eriskay views
Set 6 DSCN1056&1090&1094&1241.jpg
POLITICIAN incident
Tom

Tom Carreyette

Post by Tom Carreyette » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:34 pm

For Clydemaritime, I’ll put the remainder of this set onto Board of Trade because it pertains to shipping, but outside the Clyde area. I will show the ferries I used, getting to and from Eriskay, HEBRIDES Uig-Lochmaddy, LORD OF THE ISLES Lochboisdale-Mallaig and also LOCHALINE on Eriskay-Barra service.
Tom

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi Tom,

Very good to hear from you, with all the up to date news from Eriskay. Once again, thanks so much for going to all the trouble of organising our memorial to Angus and Frances. It brings back many memories. A few years before they passed away I had the pleasure of meeting them on Eriskay. They took me on a tour of the island by car, and I was invited into their home where I was plied with homemade soup and a special bottle of guiness that Angus had laid on for me. They then had to hurry off to Lochboisdale where they were meeting some of their incoming family, but I spent a great couple of hours in their company. They are both sorely missed.
david watson

Return to “FOGHORN”