BRITISH CURLEW

For shipping around the rest of the UK and beyond
davidships

BRITISH CURLEW

Post by davidships » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:40 am

From Lloyds List

WENJIANG (Ex-British Curlew)
London, Jun 23 2011
"Following recieved from C Solutions Limited, London, dated today: We represent the rightful owners of tanker Wenjiang (10922 gt, built 1960) which has been lying safely afloat for many years in Iran close to the Port of Bandar Abbas. Further details will follow but we have been told by our principals that the vessel has recently been sold illegally and in effect hijacked/stolen and removed by tug allegedly by Pakistan interests intending to take the vessel for demolition."

Also understand that this tanker was used in the making of an award-winning Iranian feature film "Iron Island", released 2005.
Attachments
British Curlew.jpg
British Curlew2.jpg
David Asprey

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: BRITISH CURLEW

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:04 am

Something sad about seeing how a once-proud Clyde-built member of the great BP fleet ends up. I remember her coming out of Stephens Yard at Linthouse, passing that yard every day on the way to my own yard in Scotstoun West, having just started in the second year of my apprenticeship. :(
Angus Mac Kinnon

Malim Sahib

Post by Malim Sahib » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Incredible that she's lasted so long and so sad that she's off for breaking before I've had the chance to win the Euromillions!
Regards,

Jim

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Malim Sahib wrote:Incredible that she's lasted so long and so sad that she's off for breaking before I've had the chance to win the Euromillions!
What were you going to do with the Euro-Millions - restore her to Lloyds A1 and sail her off to the West, bound for the Wash to anchor and wait for the Leckie to come across from Sherwood Forest and admire the sleek lines ? :lol:

I would volunteer to join you for the trip, but she's a motorship and this goes strictly against the credo .... one has to maintain one's standards, innit ? !
Angus Mac Kinnon

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 am

Seeing a "bird" boat painted up in late50's/early60's livery with red decks and black piping would be a treat - I would empty my piggy bank to help.

Malim Sahib

Post by Malim Sahib » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 am

Aye, she'd look just grand in the Pool of London, then a round Britain tour.....
She must be the last traditional 'British' midships tanker still in existence.
Regards,

Jim

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:12 pm

These 'Pakistanis' who are alleged to have hijacked her, has anyone checked the whereabouts of certain Hebridean islanders recently, upsurge in boot polish sales noted, begining to suspect a plan has been thought through ..... due in Troon anchorage next week?
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:51 pm

yorkieman wrote:These 'Pakistanis' who are alleged to have hijacked her, has anyone checked the whereabouts of certain Hebridean islanders recently, upsurge in boot polish sales noted, begining to suspect a plan has been thought through ..... due in Troon anchorage next week?

You just stop stirring it, Yorkie-Mannie, and leave that avuncular Brockie Leckie from Ness out of this, he's above such piratical skullduggery (skulldiggery?). Now if it was another certain Hebridean you were referring to ..... from the Southern extremities of the Hebridean archipelago, well, in that case anything is possible, I mean a island community that would steal the very whisky from your doorstep, as these plundering Barraich did, well, what can one say, eh? Hoogalism of the highest order, that's what it was.
Angus Mac Kinnon

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:24 am

BritishCurlew-trials.jpg
On her trials
BritishCurlew-Wenjiang.jpg
As Wenjiang
BritishCurlew-CH-Kirby.jpg
Back in BP days at Hobart. Chris Howell collection/ Kirby.
BRITISH CURLEW in better days.
Paul Strathdee

Return to “BOARD OF TRADE”