FINNJET

For shipping around the rest of the UK and beyond
Deepol

FINNJET

Post by Deepol » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Finnjet-trials (2).jpg
Finnjet-speed.jpg
FinnjetCutaway-03.JPG
Just some of the material I got from a very enthusiastic gentleman from Wartsila when I wrote and asked if they has any material on her. They were quite proud of her.
Some memories of the gas turbine powered Finnlines' ferry built by Wartsila at Helsinki in 1977. For the Travemunde to Helsinki run she ran at 31knots reducing the passage time to 22 hours.
She had a long career on the route being withdrawn in 2005.
Paul Strathdee

Deepol

Re: FINNJET

Post by Deepol » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:56 am

Finnjet-Passat-Travemunde.jpg
Finnjet-as-built-bow-card.jpg
Early publicity shots of her.
Finnjet3-Baltic-Sep87.jpg
Being overtaken by her in the Baltic in September 1987. The revised colours did not suit her in my opinion.
Some more on her. She served the route till 1997 when it became summer only and she was switched to Helsinki to Tallinn.
In 2004 she was put on a new route from St Petersburg to Rostock but this was not a success and after 28 years she went up for sale and went to Baton Rouge as student accommodation.
Sold on again she was renamed DA VINCI in 2008 and was to be converted to a cruise ship in Genoa. However this proved prohibitive on cost grounds and instead was sold reportedly for scrap and arrived in Jeddah.
Despite efforts to save her she arrived on the Alang beaches now called KINGDOM on June 13th 2008 to be broken up.
Paul Strathdee

Return to “BOARD OF TRADE”