Hanna Donald & Wilson

For posting information on Clyde Shipbuilders and listings of the ships they built
yorkieman

Hanna Donald & Wilson

Post by yorkieman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:52 am

While looking for something else, came across in Miramar a small vessel VENEZUELA launched in 04/1877, 157grt by Hanna Donald & Wilson, Paisley.
Curious as had not heard of this builder and it does not seem to be in the Clydebuilt database, nor is the vessel.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Hanna Donald & Wilson

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:14 am

Morning, George :

I have posted information on this Paisley firm in the distant past; they were in existence from 1851 through 1917 at the Abercorn Yard, the only Yard on the East side of the River Cart, opposite the sand quay, where the River was barely 70 feet wide, resulting in side launchings. (Cartvale, Merksworth, Phoenix and Thistle all being on the other side).

They took over the Abercorn Yard after John Barr and MacNab vacated it in 1851, the latter having been there from 1838.

I have to go out just now but I will later revert on the 119 vessels produced by Hanna, Donald and Wilson.

Later, offsky the noo ....
Angus Mac Kinnon

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 am

S.S. Venezuela of 1877

Yard No. 27
Passenger/Cargo Steamer Coaster
110' 8" x 17' 1" x 9' 3"
Displacement - 170 tons
Owner - Bouvae Railway Company, Venezuela
Speed - 9 knots
IHP/HP - 45
Engine - Compound : 13" x 24" x 18" stroke
Boiler - Vertical / Tube
Manufacturer - H D W
Lloyds 100A1
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Magic, this is what I was looking for when I found the ref to the shipyard but thought I was looking for a larger VENEZUELA!
Received an enquiry re such a vessel owned in 1883 by 'Bolivar Railway Company of Venezuela' and sure enough she is in LR 1882 as such with all your details, so you need to correct the owner name.
The odd thing though is that HDW are listed there as the engne builder but the shipbuilder is ascribed to 'Arbroath Sh. Co. Paisley' .... wonder if they were a parent for HDW?
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Okay - my listing, like myself, is very old, is handwritten, but would agree after closer examination with a magnifying glass that the Owners is indeed Bolivar, not 'Bouvae' as some eejit advised you ..... ;)

Now, then, the Engine Manufacturer. It was a product of the H.D.W. Yard, who were also Engineers, and the only explanation I can offer you is that the name of the Yard (Abercorn) is close to 'Arbroath' and there is little doubt in my mind that this is simply a typographical error.

When H.D.W. subcontracted the engines out to other steam engineers, e.g. Dunsmuir Jackson of Govan, J. Young of Ayr, Fisher & Coy of Paisley, W. Lockhead of Glasgow, or Rowan of Glasgow, that was well-recorded. The majority of engines for the vessels the Yard built were manufactured by themselves. The probable exceptions would be where Shipowners specifically requested a particular engine manufacturer because of previous experience, familiarity, spares, etc., or that old-fashioned commodity - loyalty !

Was it just that vessel you were interested in, or do you want me to provide a listing of all the vessels H.D.W. produced ?

Frances .... Frances ..... my glasses ..... where did I lay them down ?
Angus Mac Kinnon

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Sorry - just re-read your posting and realise now that the engine manufacturer was not what was in doubt, it was the vessel builder !

Be assured, Arbroath ... etc ... should read Abercorn Shipbuilding Company, i.e. Hanna, Donald & Wilson
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks again Angus, it was just VENEZUELA that was of interest as a railway buff had come across her and wondered about her origins. I have some strange friends, researching obscure South American railways, what next.
But if you want to type out all the other HDW/Abercorn ships ....... don't let me stop you!

ps if she was Abercorn's yard no. 27 then she does not show as this or any possible earlier name in the d/base so maybe someone wants to add her?
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Will give the typing out of that largish list a miss for now unless essential, too many other tasks to tackle for now. :(
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “Clyde Shipbuilders”