Paddle steamers built by Richie, Graham & Milne for Tigris

For posting information on Clyde Shipbuilders and listings of the ships they built
Guelcemal

Paddle steamers built by Richie, Graham & Milne for Tigris

Post by Guelcemal » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Hello all,

I am a "newcomer" to this forum and hope that someone can supply me with informations concerning 2 paddle steamer built by Ritchie, Graham & Milne, Whiteinch. These vessels were intended for service on river Tigris by Ottoman River Company Hamidiye Vapurlar İdaresi, Basrah. They arrived at Basrah in pieces and were re-assembled in 1904. Some sources gives "1901", but this could be date of the order. The were named as BURHANIYE and HAMIDIYE by her owners.

Ottoman and German sources gives the following technical details: 400t (grt?) 230tdw L=64,01m B=10,06m D=2,01m d=1,4m, but for example no informations about their engines and material (presumed to have been "steel")

I am looking for her yard numbers and all availbale technical details.

In the same year the Ottomans received also 4 barges of 265tdw L=54,86m B=7,62m D=1,71m) and I wonder if they were also built by Ritchie, Graham & Milne.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Jochen

davidships

Re: Paddle steamers built by Richie, Graham & Milne for Tigr

Post by davidships » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Sorry not to have seen this message before.
We have both of these vessels in the Clyde Built Ships database:
www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ref=26581&vessel=HAMIDIYE
http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?re ... =BURHANIYE

However you will see that we have very few details - and most of those I have added from your interesting message. I am asking my research/editor colleagues to see whether more details might be found - and about the four barges. Personally, I think it highly likely that they also came from RG&M, but we have not found any reference to that yet.

I think that you are right about 1901 being the date of the order, as it seems that they left the Clyde in 1902.
What do you know of their subsequent history? Only a few vessels seem to have been taken over by Ottoman forces during WW1, and I have not seen these vessels mentioned as being involved at all. Were they withdrawn above Baghdad in 1914 - or had they already gone from the Tigris by then?

David
David Asprey

Guelcemal

Re: Paddle steamers built by Richie, Graham & Milne for Tigr

Post by Guelcemal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Hello David,

Thanks for your informations! For both vessels I have the following details:

.12.1914: Osmanlı Bahriye-transport- 1917: laid up in unserviceable condition at En Namal abt. 90km north of Tikrit / Tigris 27.03.1918: scuttled by own crew, reported by British Inland Water Transport Directorate as not considered worth for salvage

Best regards,

Jochen

Return to “Clyde Shipbuilders”