Naval order

For posting information on Clyde Shipbuilders and listings of the ships they built
Brianh

Naval order

Post by Brianh » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:51 pm

I see that the 2 additional River class patrol vessels have been formally ordered, announced during a visit by the Minister for Defence Procurement at Govan on 8 December 2016.

clydesider

Re: Naval order

Post by clydesider » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:21 pm

It's sad however that there will be no more traditional launches from Govan. Instead, the vessels will apparently be loaded onto a barge, taken down to KGV dock where the barge will be submerged allowing the vessel to be floated off and then moved down to the Scotstoun facility.
Arthur Sales

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes, afraid this is a sign of the times – we all know this order for two patrol vessel orders is to all intents and purposes a form of appeasement – originally defined as “making political or material concessions to an enemy power in order to avoid conflict” – in this case, a way of keeping the workforce at BAE Systems happy until the time comes to start work on the eight type-26 warships, which will give them work for the best part of 20 years.

If they take the full term, I will be over 90 years of age by the time it takes to complete the order – not holding my breath (if you’ll pardon the sense of humour) but don't think I'll see the completion.

My understanding is that the current arrangement is that the “structural” build of the ship is done at Govan, and the “fitting out” is done at the Scotstoun yard.

On more than one occasion last week, I noted that on the river between Port Glasgow and City Centre, there was only one ship being recorded on Marine Traffic – our old friend the Research Survey Vessel ENDEAVOUR, in KGV dock.

Hate to say it, but the river “ain’t what it used to be” – and that’s a euphemism for “the river is dying”.

I post this with a heavy heart, but my brain says it is true.
Allan Macmillan

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:19 am

Yes indeed- a traditional launch was a great thing to see. A reminder of how it was done- HMS FIFE.
HMS_Fife-poss-launch-Fairfield_1.jpg
Paul Strathdee

duncanwilson

Post by duncanwilson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Allan,

I appreciate and support your sentiments about the future of shipping on the Clyde.
The river can still be used as an effective means of moving commuters and tourists up and down the river, however the essential infrastructure has got to be in place before such a service can start.
I'm talking about warm and welcoming waiting rooms with coffee machines and toilets etc in addition to car parks and bus connections.
Glasgow City Council and Peel Ports should be taking the initiative and discussing the possibilities of setting up regular boat services running from Clydebank (the Titan Crane?) ,Renfrew and places in between to the City Centre.
Am I expecting too much? Sadly, like you, I am not holding my breath.

Cheers, Duncan.

P.S. Forgive me if this is somewhat off thread.

Return to “Clyde Shipbuilders”