Govan Graving Docks

For posting information on Clyde Shipbuilders and listings of the ships they built
Colin Campbell

Govan Graving Docks

Post by Colin Campbell » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Picked up this leaflet in Fairfield Heritage Centre.
IMG_2165.jpg

clydesider

Re: Govan Graving Docks

Post by clydesider » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:08 pm

I went along to see the final proposals on 25 March.

Essentially, this is a housing development in and around the old drydock itself, although I acknowledge some of the buildings within the dock would be refurbished and may be brought back into use, e.g. as a café, etc. The docks themselves would be used for leisure pursits.

There looks to be a fifteen storey block of flats planned for the canting basin end.

There are however other vacant sites in Govan which could be used for housing.

Altogether, it is a bit of a disaster and indeed a lost opportunity to properly preserve what I think is an A-listed site.
Arthur Sales

Albert B

Post by Albert B » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:49 am

According to Fridays Paper (February 16th) an other exhibition and consultation to take place on Saturday 3rd March 2018 at Clydebrae Street.
Attachments
Govan Drydock001.jpg

clydesider

Post by clydesider » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 pm

It's no secret that Ferguson Marine Engineering, Port Glasgow are looking at the possibility of using the old Govan drydocks and that would certainly be a better and more appropriate use than the original proposal.

Ferguson Marine Engineering's preferred option would be to acquire the drydock and quays at Inchgreen but, as Cammell Laird at Birkenhead are owned by the Group that also owns Peel Ports/Clydeport, that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Arthur Sales

clydesider

Post by clydesider » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:34 pm

I attended the consultation event in Govan this afternoon. I ignored the Ferguson Marine corporate video playing in the background as I had already seen it last month in Greenock.

The proposals are to reinstate the three graving docks for ship repair and construction with plans also for housing, live/work units, open space and possibly some form of marine heritage centre. There would be public access around the area, although obviously not to the graving docks themselves. Part of the former Clydedock Engineering basin might be filled in, although that to my mind seems completely unnecessary.

The work would be done in three separate phases.

The good news is that the graving docks would be brought back into use so it is a 100% improvement on the previous proposals which I understand were quite rightly rejected by Glasgow City Council.

All in all the proposals are worthy of support.
Arthur Sales

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Sounds very promising - at long last a real working revival on the river. Let’s hope that it all comes to fruition, or will Glasgow’s councillors once again be overawed by the glamour of flashy penthouses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Clyde Shipbuilders”