Lang & Fulton / P MacCallum

For information and articles on the many Clyde Shipowners
User avatar
Bill Harvey
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Lang & Fulton / P MacCallum

Post by Bill Harvey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:36 pm

This is a working document and therefore is not 100% complete


LANG & FULTON

1907; Reincorporated as
Lang & Fulton Ltd
Greenock

ALEXANDRA (1880 - 1883) fully rigged ship.
O.N. 38262. 915g. 844n. 164.0 x 36.0 x 22.0 feet
1.1863: Launched by Messrs Raymond, Pleasant Cove, Nova Scotia for Shaw & Company, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.
1870s: Sold to A. C. Robbins, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.
1880: Purchased by Lang & Fulton (A. Fulton) and converted to a barque.
1883: Wrecked.

DECCAN (1897) Steel ship fitted with double fore main top gallant and royals
O.N.106844. 1,985g. 1,836n. 266.0 x 40.1 x 23.4 feet
3.1897: Completed at a cost of £15,092 by Robert Duncan & Company Ltd, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 276), for Lang & Fulton.
1897: Sold on completion to British & Eastern Shipping Company Ltd, Liverpool.
6.12.1909: Wrecked at Cape Tate, Ines Island.

ARDGLEN (1) / SYCAMORE (1917)
O.N. 140520. 6,550g. 4,180n. 445.0 x 58.2 x 31.2 feet
T.3-cyl. (26½”, 45” & 75” x 54”) engine made by Rankin & Blackmore Ltd, Greenock. 700 NHP.
Ordered as ARDGLEN from Robert Duncan & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 327), by Lang & Fulton.
8.5.1917: Launched as SYCAMORE pending sale upon completion.
7.1917: Completed and sold to Johnston Line Ltd (Furness, Withy & Company Ltd., managers) Liverpool.
25.8.1917: Whilst on a voyage from Baltimore to Liverpool with general cargo including cotton and copper was sunk with a torpedo by the German submarine UB 61, in N. Atlantic in a position 125 miles N.W. from Tory Island. 11 lives lost.


ARDGLASS (3) (1919 - 1922)
O.N. 142275. 848g. 415n. 200.1 x30.2 x 12.9 feet
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 90 RHP.
30.7.1919: Launched by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley (Yard No.264), for Lang & Fulton Ltd.
10.1919: Completed.
1922: Sold to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1933: Removed from management.
6.3.1935: Sold for £6,000 to Monroe Bros Ltd, Liverpool.
13.6.1935: Renamed KYLE CASTLE.
1.12.1936: Owners restyled as Kyle Shipping Company Ltd, (Monroe Bros, managers).
16.10.1937: Sold to Walton Steamship Company Ltd, (F. L. Dawson & Company Ltd, managers) Liverpool.
1949: Sold to Elias Macris & John Fonaris, Greece, and renamed THETIS.
1950: Sold to Macris Brothers & J. Fonaris, Greece.
12.1959: Demolition commenced in Greece.

ARDGARROCH (2) (1920 - 1922)
O.N. 142743. 964g. 501n. 200.2 x 31.2 x 13.2 feet
T.3-cyl. (17”, 28” & 46” x 33”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 149 NHP.
13.12.1918: Launched as PORTLAND HOUSE by Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Company, Ardrossan, (Yard No. 271), for Mead Son & Hussey, London.
1920: Sold Lang & Fulton Ltd. and renamed ARDGARROCH
1922: Sold to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1937: Sold to Bristol Steam Navigation Company Ltd, Bristol, and renamed CAPITO.
1950: Sold to G. Lamy & Company and renamed NEREE.
29.11.1952: Arrived at Grays, Essex for demolition by T.W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield.

ARDGRYFE (2) (1920 - 1922)
O.N. 142318. 964g. 481n. 200.4 x 31.2 x 13.2 feet
T.3-cyl. (17”, 28” & 46” x 33”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 149 NHP.
3.1918: Completed as ST DUNSTAN’S HILL by Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company, Ardrossan, (Yard No.270), for Mead Son & Hussey, London.
1920: Sold to Lang & Fulton Ltd. and renamed ARDGRYFE
1922: Sold for £39,053 to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
2.12.1959: Arrived at Preston for demolition by Thos.W.Ward Ltd, Sheffield.


Vessels Managed
By
Lang & Fulton
Lang & Fulton Ltd (1907)
Greenock

M.1. ARANA (1900) Steel ship
O.N. 97654. 240g. 210n. 108.0 x 27.6 x 9.7 feet.
1890: Completed by D.&.W. Henderson Ltd (Yard No. 355) for A Mackay & Company (J. & A. Allan), Glasgow
1895: Sold to Arana Ship Company (J. D. Clink, manager), Greenock.
1900: Lang & Fulton appointed as managers.
1900: Lost with all hands on passage from Santa Rosalia.

M.2. VALKYRIE (1900 - 1901) Steel ship
O.N. 98317. 2,270g. 2,172n. 283.3 x 42.5 x 24.5 feet
7.12.1891: Launched by Charles Connell & Company, Glasgow (Yard No.182), for Valkyrie Ship Company (J. D. Clink, manager) Greenock.
1900: Lang & Fulton appointed as managers.
8.11.1901: Sunk in collision at Brockdorf, on the River Elbe.


M.3. THISTLE (1904 - 1905) Steel four-masted barque
O.N. 97308. 2,289g. 2,192n. 284.0 x 42.5 x 24.7 feet
1891: Completed by Charles Connell & Company, Glasgow (Yard No. 175), for Thistle Ship Company (J. D. Clink, manager), Greenock.
1904: Lang & Fulton appointed as managers.
1905: Wrecked on Palmerston Island, Port Pirrie, Portland, Oregon.


M.4. ANCONA (1906) Steel ship
O.N. 102118. 1,436g. 1,373n. 280.2 x 44.8 x 22.9 feet
16.10.1893: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No.315), for The Ship Ancona Company (G. T. Soley & Co, managers), Liverpool.
11.1893: Completed.
1906: Sold to James Fulton jr. (Lang & Fulton managers).
30.11.1906: Burnt out in the Bay of Biscay at approx position 46N by 9W.


M.5. ANNASONA (1907) Steel barque
O.N. 99787. 2,900g. 1,436n. 239.0 x 36.1 x 21.6 feet
20.10.1892: Launched as MARGARET A. B. CARSWELL by Charles Connell & Company, Glasgow (Yard No. 196), for John Carswell, Greenock.
11.1892: Completed.
1894: Annasona Ship Company (J. D. Clink, manager), Greenock, and renamed ANNASONA.
1907: Lang & Fulton appointed as managers.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
7.2.1907: Whilst on a voyage from Callao, Peru to Newcastle NSW, wrecked on Middleton Reef, north of Lord Howe Island.


M.6. SAMOENA (1907 - 1910) Steel ship
O.N. 99782. 1,962. 1,869n. 272.0 x 40.0 x 23.6 feet
9.8.1892: Launched by Charles Connell & Company, Glasgow (Yard No.193), for J. D. Clink.
9.1892: Completed.
1894: Samoena Ship Company (J. D. Clink, manager) Greenock.
1907: Lang & Fulton appointed as managers.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
1910: Sold to J. A. Zachariassen, Nystad, Finland.
25.9.1919: Whilst on a voyage from New York to Rotterdam, stranded near the Hook of Holland. Subsequently sold to Dutch shipbreakers.


M.7. CALLUNA (1907 - 1910) Steel barque
O.N. 98304. 1,396g. 1,346n. 230.5 x36.1 x21.6 feet
16.3.1891: Launched as JOHN CARSWELL by Charles Connell & Company, Glasgow (Yard No. 173), for John Carswell, Greenock.
4.1891: Completed.
1894: Calluna Ship Company (J. D. Clink, manager) Greenock, and renamed CALLUNA.
1907: Lang & Fulton appointed as managers.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
1910: Sold to R. Hansen, Christiania, Norway.
1916: Sold to Rederi Linfjerden, Aalborg, Denmark,
20.4.1917: Sunk by torpedo in a position 48.51N, 8.38W. off the Scilly Isles.


M.8. ZINITA (1907 – 1910) Steel barque
O.N. 102384. 1,633g. 1,525n. 251.2 x3.1 x21.6 feet
21.12.1893: Launched by Charles Connell & Company, Glasgow (Yard No.192), for Zinita Ship Company (J. D. Clint, manager), Greenock.
1.1894: Completed.
1907: Lang & Fulton appointed as managers.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
1910: Sold to J. Brun, Tonsberg, Norway, and renamed SORKNES.
5.10.20: Dismasted & abandoned in a position 47.55N., 27.51W, and towed into Barry where subsequently hulked.


M.9. WAR FANTAIL (1918 - 1919)
O.N. 142713. 4,453g. 2,697n. 375.6 x 51.7 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (25”, 44” & 78” x 48”) engine made by Rankin & Blackmore Ltd, Greenock. 517 NHP.
9.1918: Launched by Robert Duncan & Company Ltd, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 338), for the Shipping Controller and placed under the management of Lang & Fulton Ltd.
11.1918: Completed.
1919: Sold to D. & T. G. Adams, Newcastle-on-Tyne, and renamed NILEMEDE.
1924: Sold to J.& C. Harrison Ltd, London and renamed HARMATTAN.
1928: Sold to Brynymor Shipping Company Ltd, (Ambrose Davies) and renamed DANYBRYN.
1930: Sold to Cook Shipping Company Ltd.
1930: Sold to Jadran Brodarsko, Yugoslavia, and renamed JADRAN.
1933: Renamed JOURAN.
1933: Sold to Soc. Misr de Navigation Maritime, Egypt and renamed ARAFAT.
1936: Sold to M. J. Carras, Chios, Greece, and renamed FOTINI CARRAS
7.6.1939: Whilst on a voyage from Pagoumene to European Continent with ore, wrecked on South Bellona. 21.25S 159.34E


Partnerships

J & W Low & James Fulton & John Lang
Greenock

LADY CLARENDON (1876 - 1881)
O.N. 35062. 1,331g. 1,296n. 216.0 x 38.1 x 21.8 feet.
1853: Launched at New Brunswick,
1876: Sold to partnership of John and William Low, shipowners, Greenock, and James Fulton and John Lang, iron merchants, Greenock.
In 1880 Lloyd’s Register stated John Low only



Wm Rankin & John Lang
Greenock

EIRENE (1877 - 1878)
O.N. 76159. 1,264g. 217.9 x 35.1 x feet.
5.1877: Launched by Robert Steele & Company (Yard No.103), for partnership of William Rankine, shipowner, Greenock, and John Lang, iron merchant, Greenock.
29.3.1878: Wrecked between Ushant & Cape Gris Nez



Wm Hamilton & Co. & Lang & Fulton Ltd
Greenock

SANTA ROSALIA (1911)
O.N. 132618. 5,409g. 3,488n. 406.0 x 52.6 x 27.7 feet
T.3-cyl. (27”, 44” & 78” x 48”) engine made by John G Kincaid & Company Ltd, Greenock. 476 NHP.
21.9.1911: Launched by William Hamilton & Company (Yard No. 220), on joint account with Lang & Fulton Ltd, Greenock.
1911: Sold before delivery to Isthian Steamship Company Ltd, London.
10.1911: Completed.
1914: Sold to United States Steel Products Co., New York.
1918-1919: US Navy requisition.
1929: Sold to E. G. Culucundis & S. C. Costomeni, Syra, and renamed STEFANOS COSTAMENIS.
18.2.1936: Foundered at a position 37.43N., 66.03W.




COMPANIES OWNED / MANAGED
BY
LANG & FULTON
Lang & Fulton Ltd (1907)
Greenock


The Ship East Anglian Company
Greenock

EAST ANGLIAN (1886 - 1896) Iron Barque
O.N. 72409. 910g. 855n. 197.6 x 32.6 x 19.4 feet
29.4.1876: Launched as MARY LOW by Robert Duncan & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 17), for John Low of Greenock.
5.1876: Completed at a cost of £13,450.
1886: Sold to The Ship East Anglian Company, (Lang & Fulton, managers), and renamed EAST ANGLIAN.
1896: Stranded at Penarth Head on passage Cardiff to Esquimalt.
1896: Aban¬doned to underwriters, subsequently refloated, repaired and sold to Christian Hiezen, Larvik, Norway and renamed LIV.
1916: Sold to H. E. Wolden and renamed CLAVO.
4th Qtr 1935: Dismantled.


The Ship East Indian Company
Greenock
Issued capital £13,000 (130 x £100 shares £50 paid up)

EAST INDIAN (1894 -1910)
Steel barque, fitted with top and gallant yards
O.N. 102387. 1,745g, 1,603n. 252.6 x 39.1 x 22.5 feet
9.5.1894: Launched by Robert Duncan & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 265), for The East Indian Ship Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton, managers).
5.1895: Completed at a cost of £13,500.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
1910: Sold to G. Krabbenhoft & Bock, Hamburg, and renamed HANS.
1921: Sold to Hachfeld Fischer, Hamburg and renamed TAMARA X.
19.4.1923: Dismasted and towed into Ponta Delgada. Believed dismantled.


The Ship East African Company
Greenock
Issued capital £13,000 (130 x £100 shares £50 paid up)

EAST AFRICAN (1895 - 1911) Steel barque
O.N. 102395. 2,850g. 1,731n. 252.5 x 39.0 x 22.5 feet.
15.1.1895: Launched by Robert Duncan & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 267), for The Ship East African Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton, managers).
2.1895: Completed at a cost of £13,000.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
1911: Sold to A.T. Simonsen, Christiania, Norway.
1914: Sold to A. Prebenson and renamed RISOR.
1916: Sold to S.O. Stray & Co. and renamed SKOMEDAL.
1919: Sold to Brazileira Cabotagem and renamed ADA.
1922: Dismantled.


The Ship Australian Company
Greenock
Issued capital £16,000 (160 x £100 shares £50 paid up)

AUSTRALIAN (1897 - 1908)
Steel ship fitted with double fore main top gallant and royals
O.N. 105575. 2,103g. 1,955n. 270.5 x 40.5 x 23.6 feet
25.12.1896: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 402), for The Ship Australian Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton, managers).
1.1897: Completed at a cost of £15,000.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
25.11.1908: Sailed from Mugattan bound to Sydney NSW and subsequently disappeared.






The Ship Dechmont Company
Greenock

DECHMONT (1898 - 1910) Steel ship
O.N. 98660. 1,727g. 1,642n. 260.4 x 38.2 x 23.1 feet
2.7.1891: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 270), for The Ship Dechmont Company Ltd. (A. R. Thom & Company, managers), Glasgow.
7.1891: Completed at a cost of £17,410.
1898: The Ship Dechmont Company Ltd, was sold to Lang & Fulton.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
1910: Sold to H. E. Hansen, Lillesand, Norway, and renamed MAI.
26.12.1912: Sailed from Peombout, New Caledonia bount for Hamburg and subsequently disappeared.



The Eastern Shipping Company
Greenock
Issued capital £8,000 (80 x £100 shares £50 paid up) = 50% of company.

GRENADA (1899 - 1910) Steel four masted barque
O.N. 104591. 2,268g. 2,106n. 278.4 x 42.0 x 24.1 feet
26.10.1894: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow, (Yard No. 357), for P. Denniston & Company, Glasgow.
11.1894: Completed at a cost of £18,000.
1899: 50% share (32/64th) sold to Lang & Fulton Ltd, and vessel placed in the ownership of the Eastern Shipping Company, (Lang & Fulton, managers).
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
1910: Sold to Gwalia Ship Company, (Roberts Owens & Company, Managers), Liverpool.
22.11.1916: Sunk by German submarine 32 miles south from Beachy Head.


The Ship Edenmore Company
Greenock
Issued capital £14,000 (140 x £100 shares £50 paid up)

EDENMORE (1900 - 1909) Steel ship
O.N. 94213. 1,726g. 1,642n. 260.6 x 38.2 x 23.0 feet
3.1890: Completed as EDENBALLYMORE by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No.224) at a cost of £18,300 for Sailing Ship Edenballymore Company Ltd. (Thomson, Dickie & Company, managers ‘Maiden City Line’ ), Glasgow. Vessel registered at Londonderry.
1900: Sold to The Ship Edenmore Company, (Lang & Fulton, managers), and renamed EDENMORE.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
3.10.1909: Whilst on passage from Hamburg for Sydney was blown ashore at Roan, Papa Stronsay, Orkney and became a total loss.



The Ship Ormsary Company
Greenock
Issued capital £20,000 (200 x £100 shares £50 paid up)

ORMSARY (1903 - 1906) Steel four masted barque
O.N. 117376. 2,251g. 2.099n. 278.8 x 42.1 x 24.5 feet
19.12.1902: Launched (the last sailing vessel by the shipyard) by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 500), for The Ship Ormsary Company, (Lang & Fulton, managers).
1.1903: Completed
13.91906: Sailed from Caleta Coloso bound to Antwerp and subsequently disappeared, believed lost with all hands off Cape Horn.


The Sailing Ship Kynance Company
Greenock

KYNANCE (1903 - 1910) Steel ship
O.N. 105562. 3,250g. 1,964n. 265.5 x 40.0 x 23.5 feet
21.10.1895: Launched by Anderson, Rodger & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No.315), for The Sailing Ship Kynance Company (managers C. G. Cowan & Co), Limerick.
11.1895: Completed.
1903: The Sailing Ship Kynance Company sold to Lang & Fulton.
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
19.7.1910: Whilst on passage from Valparaiso, in calm weather, stranded at Puerta Blanca, (Punta Blanca) off Tocopilla.
29.7.1910: Declared a total loss.


Steamship Ardgowan Company Ltd
Greenock

ARDGOWAN (1) (1906 - 1915)
O.N. 117139. 4,271g. 2,765n. 369.6 x 49.8 x 19.1 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 42” & 70” x 48”) engine made by Rankin & Blackmore Ltd, Greenock. 410 NHP.
17.11.1905: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No.550), for The Steamship Ardgowan Company Ltd., (Lang & Fulton, managers).
1.1906: Completed at a cost of £42,000,
1907: Managers restyled as Lang & Fulton Ltd.
4.1915: Sold for £66,000 to Westminster Shipping Company, and renamed MESOPOTAMIA.
1929: Sold to Frangos & Livanos, Greece, and renamed AGIOS NICOLAOS.
10.11.1932: Arrived at Genoa for demolition.


Steamship Ardgryfe Company Ltd
Greenock
Issued capital £40,000
ARDGRYFE (1) (1909 - 1918)
O.N. 127551. 4,897g. 3,159n. 400.0 x 52.0 x 27.4 feet.
T.3-cyl. (27", 44"& 73"x 48") engine made by Rankin & Blackmore Ltd., Greenock. 479 NHP.
16.8.1909: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 588), for Steamship Ardgryfe Company Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd., managers), Greenock.
9.1909: Completed at a cost of £43,000.
30.9.1916 until 15.12.1916: Commercial Branch on military service, carrying nitrates.
17.3.1917 until 19.5.1917: Commercial Branch on military service, carrying nitrates.
20.5.1917 until 5.7.1917: Collier Transport No. 1622.
6.7.1917 until 28.10.1917: Commercial Branch on military service, carrying nitrates, from Chile.
29.10.1917 until 10.1.1918: Wheat from Canada, for the Royal Commission.
11.1.1918 until 17.2.1918: Collier Transport No. 1622, during which period vessel was, on 16.1.1918: Purchased by The Clan Line Steamers Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd, managers), and subsequently renamed CLAN KENNETH.
18.2.1918 until 24.5.1918: Commercial Branch, on military service, carrying nitrates from Chile.
25.5.1918 until 7.4.1919: Liner Requisition Scheme.
4.1.1934: Arrived at Blyth for demolition by Hughes, Bolckow Ltd.


Steamship Ardgoil Company Ltd
Greenock
Issued capital £40,000

ARDGOIL (1) (1909 - 1913)
O.N. 127547. 4,395g. 2,765n. 384.8 x 49.9 x 18.1 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 42” & 70” x 48”) engine made by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Port Glasgow. 411 NHP.
25.5.1909: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No.575), for The Steamship Ardgoil Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
12.1909: Completed at a cost of £40,000.
1913: Sold for £46,000, to W Thomas Sons & Company, London, and renamed GLOBE.
1913: Hemisphere Steamship Company (W. Thomas & Company, managers), London.
1916: Sold to Rome Steamship Company, (Fisher Almonds, managers), London.
1921: Sold to the Italian Government, (Ferrovie dello Stato), and renamed NOMENTUM.
1923: Sold to S.A. Parodi & Corrado di Navigazione, Genoa, and renamed VALENTINO CODA.
1929: Sold to Corrado SA di Navigazione, Genoa.
1933: Sold for demolition


Steamship Ardgarroch Company Ltd
Greenock
(1911 – 1918)
Issued capital £36,000

ARDGARROCH (1) (1911 - 1918)
O.N. 123539. 5,100g. 3,184n. 400.0 x 52.0 x 19.3 feet.
T.3-cyl. (27", 44"& 73"x 48") engine made by Rankin & Blackmore Ltd., Greenock. 471 NHP.
11.9.1907: Launched as OTTERBURN by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 570), for Burn Line Ltd., (R. Shankland & Company Ltd., managers), Greenock. 10.1907: Completed at a cost of £44.000.
1911: Sold for £41,000 to Steamship Ardgarroch Company Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers), Greenock, and renamed ARDGARROCH.
2.12.1916 until 11.2.1917: Wheat from America, for the Royal Commission.
12.2.1917 until 2.4.1917: Collier Transport No. 1460.
3.4.1917 until 28.7.1917: Rice from Burma, for the Royal Commission.
29.7.1917 until 1.10.1917: Collier Transport No. 1460, on Italian Government Service.
2.10.1917 until 21.12.1917: Wheat from Calcutta, for the Royal Commission.
22.12.1917 until 6.4.1918: Sugar from Cuba.
18.2.1918: Purchased by The Clan Line Steamers Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd, managers), and subsequently renamed CLAN KENNEDY.
7.4.1918 until 2.6.1918: Collier Transport No. 1460.
3.6.1918 until 1.9.1918: Maize for the Royal Commission.
2.9.1918 until 16.11.1918: Wheat from America, for the Royal Commission.
17.11.1918 until 23.8.1919: Liner Requisition Scheme.
16.1.1924: Whilst on a voyage from New Caledonia to Hamburg and London, with ore and copra, stranded on the Sizewell Bank, 1 mile north from Thorpeness, Suffolk. Subsequently salvaged and sold to J. Cashmore Ltd., for demolition at Newport.



Steamship Ardgorm Company Ltd
Greenock
(1913 – 1917)
Issued capital £40,000

ARDGORM (1) (1913 - 1917)
O.N. 135334. 5,131g. 3,872n. 405.0 x 53.0 x 27.2 feet.
T.3-cyl. (27”, 44” & 73” x 48”) engine made by John G Kincaid & Company Ltd, Greenock. 475 NHP.
30.10.1913: Launched by Robert Duncan & Company Ltd, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 324), for the Steamship Ardgorm Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
12.1913: Completed at a cost of £60,000.
1917: Sold for £175,000 to Norfolk and North American Steamship Company Ltd, and renamed HARTLAND POINT.
1918: Sold to Johnston Line Ltd (Furness, Withy & Company Ltd., managers) Liverpool, and renamed HARTMORE.
1921: Sold to Anglo-Oriental Navigation Company Ltd, Liverpool, and renamed SUREWAY.
1927: Sold to Sanyo Shoji K.K., Japan and renamed JUNYO MARU.
1938: Sold to Baba Shoji K. K., Japan and renamed ZYUNYO MARU.
18.9.1944: Sunk by British submarine HMS TRADEWIND in a position 2.53S., 101.11E.



Steamship Ardgair Company Ltd
Greenock
(1913 – 1918)
Issued capital £40,000

ARDGAIR (1913 - 1918)
O.N. 135324. 5,119g. 3,282n. 405.0 x 53.0 x 27.2 feet.
T.3-cyl. (27”, 44” & 73” x 48”) engine made by J. G. Kincaid & Company Ltd., Greenock. 475 NHP.
8.4.1913: Launched by R. Duncan & Company Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 323), for the Steamship Ardgair Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers), Greenock.
5.1913: Completed at a cost of £50,000.
11.4.1918: Sold to Prince Line Ltd., (Furness, Withy & Company Ltd., managers).
4.5.1918: Renamed MANCHURIAN PRINCE.
10.7.1933: Sold to Continental Indies Shipping Company Ltd., (W. A. Shaw, manager), Barbados, and renamed NAANA.
1935: Sold to Jugoslavenska Lloyd Plovidba d. d., Susak, Yugoslavia, and renamed LASTA.
1936: Sold to Atlanska Plovidba d. d., Susak, Yugoslavia, and renamed SENGA.
1946: Renamed KORCULA.
12.4.1959: Arrived at Hong Kong for demolition.


Ard Coasters Ltd
(1913 - wound up October 1918)
Greenock
Issued capital £42,000
ARDGARTH (1913 - 1918)
O.N. 135331. 770g. 350n. 200.2 x 29.1 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 44” x 33”) engine manufactured by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow. 96 RHP.
22.8.1913: Launched by George Brown & Company, Greenock (Yard No. 83), for Ard Coasters Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd., managers), Greenock.
1913: Completed.
1918: Sold to P. MacCallum & Sons Ltd., (same managers).
1923: Purchased by Sollas Lines Ltd., (Richards, Longstaff & Company Ltd., managers), London, and renamed YORKMINSTER.
2.1925: Sold to John F. Sowards, (E. C. A. Clarke, manager), Canada, and renamed PATDORIS. 1925: W. J. Driver, appointed as manager.
1926: Owner restyled as Sowards Coal Company, (same manager).
1930: Transferred to J. F. Sowards.
1944: Sold to Toronto General Trusts Corp. (F. L. Fraser, Cuba, manager), Canada.
1945: Sold to Maple Leaf Steamship Company Ltd., Canada.
1946: Transferred to Panama registry.

ARDGLASS (1) (1914 - 1917)
O.N. 135336. 778g. 373n. 200.1 x 29.2 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 44” x 33”) engine manufactured by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow. 96 RHP.
27.11.1913: Launched by George Brown & Company, Greenock (Yard No. 84), for Ard Coasters Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1.1914: Completed.
28.3.1917: Whilst on a voyage from Port Talbot to Belfast with steel, was captured by the German submarine UC 65 in the Irish Sea and sunk with explosives, four miles east of Arklow lightvessel.

ARDGOUR (1914 - 1918)
O.N. 137041. 778g. 373n. 200.0 x 29.1 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 44” x 33”) engine manufactured by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow. 96 RHP.
Post 1937: 6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (12-3/16” x 17¾”) oil engine manufactured in 1935, by Motorenwerke Mannheim A.G., Mannheim. 87 NHP.
12.2.1914: Launched by George Brown & Company, Greenock (Yard No. 85), for Ard Coasters Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd., managers), Greenock.
1914: Completed.
1918: Sold to P. MacCallum & Sons Ltd, (same managers).
10.1923: Purchased by Sollas Lines Ltd., (Richards, Longstaff & Company Ltd., managers), London, and renamed YORKDALE.
6.1925: Transferred to Northminster Steamship Company Ltd., (same managers).
1.1929: Sold to Kilvey Shipping Company Ltd., (J.E.Fisher & Company Ltd., managers), London.
3.1930: Sold to Polski Przemysl Ryzowy W.Krokowice Spolka z Odpowiedzial-noscia, Poland, and renamed KOPERNIK.

ARDGARVEL (1) (1917 - 1922)
O.N. 137049. 834g. 397n. 200.2 x 30.2 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Ferguson Bros (Port Glasgow) Ltd, Port Glasgow. 90 RHP.
21.11.1916: Launched by Ferguson Bros (Port Glasgow) Ltd, Port Glasgow, (Yard No.221), for Ard Coasters Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1.1917: Completed
1922: Sold to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd., (same managers)
1927: Sold for £13,500 to J. H. Welford & Company Ltd and by them to Union Steamships Ltd, Vancouver, and renamed CHILLIWACK.
1954: Sold to Micronesia Metal and Equipment Company and renamed IRON SHIELD.
18.3.1955: Arrived at Osaka for demolition.

ARDGANTOCK (1) (1917 - 1918)
O.N. 137057. 834g. 397n. 200.2 x 30.2 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Ferguson Bros (Port Glasgow) Ltd, Port Glasgow. 90 RHP.
7.1917: Launched by Ferguson Bros (Port Glasgow) Ltd, Port Glasgow, (Yard No. 223), for Ard Coasters Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
12.1917: Completed.
18.2.1918: Sunk by HMS TARTAR in a collision off West Hartlepool.

ARDGARTAN (1918 - 1919)
O.N. 142261. 1,345g. 806n. 229.8 x35.8 x15.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (18”, 27 ½” & 45” x 27”) engine made by Ross & Duncan Ltd, Glasgow. 142 NHP.
7.6.1918: Launched by Campbeltown Shipbuilding Company, Campbeltown (Yard No.106), for Ard Coasters Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1918: Completed for the Steamship Ardgartan Company, (same managers).
12.4.1919: Whilst on passage from Swansea to Brest with a cargo of coal, was lost with all hands.

ARDGIRVAN (1918)
O.N. 142265. 1,345g. 806n. 230.0 x35.8 x15.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (18”, 27½” & 45” x 27”) engine made by Ross & Duncan Ltd, Glasgow. 142 NHP.
24.9.1918: Launched by Campbeltown Shipbuilding Company, Campbeltown (Yard No. 108), for Ard Coasters Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
10.1918: Completed for the Steamship Ardgartan Company, (same managers).
1919: Sold to European Gas Company (H. A. Brightman, managers), London, and renamed BOLBEC.
1926: Sold to Harries Brothers & Company Ltd., Swansea.
18.1.1958: Delivered for demolition in Holland.



Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd
(1914 – 1919)
Greenock
Issued capital £52,000

Autumn 1915 two vessels ordered from Russell £73K & £80K
March 1916 two vessels ordered from Russell £180K
November 1916 two vessels ordered from Russell £195K

ARDGARRY (1) (1914 - 1919)
O.N. 135337. 4,526g. 2,893n. 384.9 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet.
T.3-cyl. (25”, 41” & 68” x 48”) engine made by Rankin & Blackmore, Greenock. 361 NHP.
26.12.1913: Launched as LOCH-NA-TORREN, by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow, (Yard No. 655), for Loch Line but sold to the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
2.1914: Completed as ARDGARRY at a cost of £52,000.
1919: Sold to Johnston Line Ltd (Furness, Withy & Company Ltd., managers) Liverpool, and renamed STANMORE.
1923: Sold to “K” Steamship Company Ltd, (Kaye, Son & Company Ltd, managers), and renamed KEMMEL.
6.1934: Sold to Lithgows Ltd, for demolition at Port Glasgow.

ARDGRANGE (1916 - 1919)
O.N. 137046. 4,714g. 2,950n. 385.0 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 42” & 70” x 48”) engine made by Clyde Ship Building & Engineering Company Ltd., Port Glasgow.
20.6.1916: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 690), for the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
11.1916: Completed at a cost of £73,000.
1919: Sold to Johnston Line Ltd (Furness, Withy & Company Ltd., managers) Liverpool, and renamed WIGMORE.
1922: Sold to Yamashita Kisen Goshi Kaisha, Japan, and renamed NANKOH MARU.
1929: Sold to Nanyo Kogyo Koshi, Japan.
1930: Sold to Ishihara Goshi Kaisya (Ishihara Sangyo Kaiun Kaisya Ltd., managers), Japan and renamed NANKO MARU.
11.6.1943: Lost to unspecified causes in the Bashii Channel.

ARDGASK (1) (1917)
O.N. 137047. 4,542g. 2,950n. 385.0 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 42” & 70” x 48”) engine made by Clyde Ship Building & Engineering Company Ltd., Port Glasgow.
24.10.1916: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow, (Yard No. 697), for the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1.1917: Completed at a cost of £80,000.
3.4.1917: Whilst on a voyage from Bombay to Hull with general cargo was torpedoed and sunk by U35, 15 miles west of Cape Rosello, Sicily, with one life lost.

ARDGLAMIS (1917)
O.N. 137054. 4,563g. 2,950n. 385.0 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 42” & 70” x 48”) engine made by Clyde Ship Building & Engineering Company Ltd., Port Glasgow.
26.7.1917: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 699), for the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers). 10.1917: Completed at a cost of £90,000.
9.11.1917: Whilst on her maiden voyage from Clyde to Naples with coal, was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-63, 125 miles west of Cape Spartel.


ARDGAY (1918 - 1919)
O.N. 137059. 4,593g. 2,886n. 385.0 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 43” & 72” x 48”) engine made Rankin & Blackmore Ltd, Greenock. 500 NHP.
22.10.1917: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 704), for the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1.1918: Completed at a cost of £90,000.
1919: Sold to Johnston Line Ltd (Furness, Withy & Company Ltd., managers) Liverpool, and renamed ERNEMORE.
1922: Sold to Yamashita Kisen Goshi Kaisha, Dairen, and renamed TOHKOH MARU.
1929: Sold to Darien Kisen K K., Japan, and renamed TOH0 MARU.
1.6.1944: Torpedoed & sunk by USS PINTADO in position 18.13N 141.19E, 250 miles west of the Marianas.

ARDGLASS (2) (1918)
O.N. 137060. 4,617g. 2,886n. 385.0 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 42” & 70” x 48”) engine made by J. G. Kincaid & Company Ltd, Greenock. 474 NHP.
30.1.1918: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 711), for the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
3.1918: Completed at a cost of £87,500.
1.4.1918: Whilst on her maiden voyage on Italian Government service from Clyde to Mediterranean with coal, was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-31, 6 miles east of the Maidens, with the loss of six lives,

ARDGASK (2) / ARDGROOM (1918 - 1919)
O.N. 142263. 4,882g. 2,886n. 385.0 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 43” & 70” x 48”) engine made by Rankin & Blackmore Ltd, Greenock. 489NHP.
8.8.1918: Launched as ARDGASK, by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No.713), for the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
10.1918: Completed as ARDGROOM.
1919: Sold to Johnson Line Ltd (Furness, Withy & Company Ltd., managers) Liverpool, and renamed TULLAMORE.
1922: Sold to Yamashita Kisen Goshi Kaisha, Japan, and renamed SAIKOH MARU.
1930: Sold to Darien Kisen K.K., Japan, and renamed SAIHO MARU.
11.11.1944: Sunk by American aircraft in a position 10.50N., 124.35E, west of Ormoc Bay, Leyte, Philippines.


Ard Steamers Ltd
(1917 – 1922)
Greenock
Issued capital £150,000

ARDGOIL (2) (1917 - 1920)
O.N. 137058. 5,318g. 3,425n. 405.1 x 52.6 x 27.7 feet.
T.3-cyl. (27”, 44” & 73” x 48”) engine made by John G. Kincaid & Company Ltd, Greenock. 476 NHP.
11.10.1917: Launched by William Hamilton & Company Ltd, Port Glasgow (Yard No.305), for Ard Steamers Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1.1918: Completed.
1920: Sold to Ben Line Steamers Ltd, (William Thomson & Company, managers), Edinburgh and renamed BENGLOE.
3.1946: Sold to Contomichalos Sons & Company (Levant) Ltd (Contomichalos Sons & Company Ltd, managers), Palestine, and renamed BETHLEHEM.
1948: Sold to Compania Contomichalos, Panama, and renamed SANDRA.
15.4.1948: Whilst on a voyage from Antwerp to Durban, was abandoned at sea of SW Africa at a position 27.02S., 12.03E.

ARDGOWAN (2) (1918 - 1922)
O.N. 142259. 5,334g. 3,415n. 405.1 x 52.6 x 27.7 feet.
T.3-cyl. (272, 44” & 73” x 48”) engine made by John G. Kincaid & Company Ltd, Greenock. 476 NHP.
28.5.1918: Launched by William Hamilton & Company Ltd, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 307), for Ard Steamers Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers), Greenock.
7.1918: Completed.
1922: Sold to St. Helen’s Steam Shipping Company (1912) Ltd, (S & J Thompson, managers), London and renamed SILVERASH.
1925: Sold to West Hartlepool Steam Navigation Company Ltd, and renamed ASPLEYHALL. 1932: Sold to Continental Indies Shipping Company Ltd, (W. A. Shaw, manager), Nova Scotia, and renamed EZRA.
1934: Sold to Jugoslavensks Plovidba D.D. Jugoslavia and renamed LABUD.
18.6.1940: Torpedoed and sunk by the German Submarine U 32, S.W. of Fastnet.



Steamship Ardgorm Company Ltd
(1918 – 1919)
Greenock
Issued capital £40,000

ARDGORM (2) (1918 - 1919)
O.N. 142258. 4,616g. 2,886n. 385.0 x 52.0 x 26.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (26”, 43” & 70” x 48”) engine made Rankin & Blackmore Ltd, Greenock. 489NHP.
27.4.1918: Launched by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 712), for the Steamship Ardgorm Company Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
6.1918: Completed at a cost of £87,500 for the Steamship Ardgarry Company Ltd.
1919: Sold to Gulf Line Ltd (Furness Withy & Company Ltd, managers) and renamed COMINO.
1929: Sold to Deutsche Tankreederei A.G., (M. Morck, manager), Germany, and renamed DORIS.
6.7.1929: Sold to Hamburg Amerika Packetfahrt A.G. (HAPAG) and renamed EIFEL.
13.12.1934: Chartered to Hamburg Sud Amerikanische Linie
30.3.1936: Sold to Hamburg Sud Amerikanische Linie.
11.1937: Renamed TUCUMAN.
11.1939: Employed as a Sperrbrecher (Barrage breaker).
17.4.1945: Sunk at Kiel by allied aircraft bombing.


Steamship Ardgartan Company Ltd
(1918 – 1919)
Greenock

ARDGARTAN (1918 - 1919)
O.N. 142261. 1,345g. 806n. 229.8 x35.8 x15.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (18”, 27 ½” & 45” x 27”) engine made by Ross & Duncan Ltd, Glasgow. 142 NHP.
7.6.1918: Launched by Campbeltown Shipbuilding Company, Campbeltown (Yard No.106), for Ard Coasters Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1918: Completed for the Steamship Ardgartan Company, (same managers).
12.4.1919: Whilst on passage from Swansea to Brest with a cargo of coal, was lost with all hands.

ARDGIRVAN (1918 - 1919)
O.N. 142265. 1,345g. 806n. 230.0 x35.8 x15.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (18”, 27½” & 45” x 27”) engine made by Ross & Duncan Ltd, Glasgow. 142 NHP.
24.9.1918: Launched by Campbeltown Shipbuilding Company, Campbeltown (Yard No. 108), for Ard Coasters Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
10.1918: Completed for the Steamship Ardgartan Company, (same managers).
1919: Sold to European Gas Company (H. A. Brightman, managers), London, and renamed BOLBEC.
1926: Sold to Harries Brothers & Company Ltd., Swansea.
18.1.1958: Delivered for demolition in Holland.









P MACCALLUM & SONS LTD
(1918 – 1974)
Greenock
1928 Capital reduced from £250,000 (25,000 x £10 shares) to £75,000 (25,000 x £3 shares) was achieved by returning £7 per share. Government stock £146,000 from the ship replacement fund was realized to facilitate the refund.

(Lang & Fulton, managers until 1924)

Mc1. ARDGOUR (1918 - 1923)
O.N. 137041. 778g. 373n. 200.0 x 29.1 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 44” x 33”) engine manufactured by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow. 96 RHP.
Post 1937: 6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (12-3/16” x 17¾”) oil engine manufactured in 1935, by Motorenwerke Mannheim A.G., Mannheim. 87 NHP.
12.2.1914: Launched by George Brown & Company, Greenock (Yard No. 85), for Ard Coasters Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd., managers), Greenock.
1914: Completed.
1918: Sold to P. MacCallum & Sons Ltd, (same managers).
10.1923: Purchased by Sollas Lines Ltd., (Richards, Longstaff & Company Ltd., managers), London, and renamed YORKDALE.
6.1925: Transferred to Northminster Steamship Company Ltd., (same managers).
1.1929: Sold to Kilvey Shipping Company Ltd., (J.E.Fisher & Company Ltd., managers), London.
3.1930: Sold to Polski Przemysl Ryzowy W.Krokowice Spolka z Odpowiedzial-noscia, Poland, and renamed KOPERNIK.
1931: Sold to Polryz Szoo (Panstwowe Przedsiebiorstwo Zegluga Polska, managers), Poland.
1933: Zegluga Polska Spolka Akcyina, appointed as managers.
1934: Sold to Onofrio Jacomino, Italy, and renamed CARLOTTA.
1937: Re-engined.
19.6.1942: Whilst on a voyage from Antivari, exploded a mine off Cape Platamone, south of Cattaro and sank.

Mc2. ARDGARTH (1918 - 1923)
O.N. 135331. 770g. 350n. 200.2 x 29.1 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 44” x 33”) engine manufactured by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow. 96 RHP.
22.8.1913: Launched by George Brown & Company, Greenock (Yard No. 83), for Ard Coasters Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd., managers), Greenock.
1913: Completed.
1918: Sold to P. MacCallum & Sons Ltd.
1923: Purchased by Sollas Lines Ltd., (Richards, Longstaff & Company Ltd., managers), London, and renamed YORKMINSTER.
2.1925: Sold to John F. Sowards, (E. C. A. Clarke, manager), Canada, and renamed PATDORIS. 1925: W. J. Driver, appointed as manager.
1926: Owner restyled as Sowards Coal Company, (same manager).
1930: Transferred to J. F. Sowards.
1944: Sold to Toronto General Trusts Corp. (F. L. Fraser, Cuba, manager), Canada.
1945: Sold to Maple Leaf Steamship Company Ltd., Canada.
1946: Transferred to Panama registry.
1962: Demolished at Montreal and at the time it was stated that her owners could not be traced for some years previous.

Mc3. ARDGLASS (3) (1919 - 1935)
O.N. 142275. 848g. 415n. 200.1 x30.2 x 12.9 feet
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 90 RHP.
30.7.1919: Launched by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley (Yard No.264), for Lang & Fulton Ltd.
10.1919: Completed.
1922: Sold to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1933: Removed from management.
6.3.1935: Sold for £6,000 to Monroe Bros Ltd, Liverpool.
13.6.1935: Renamed KYLE CASTLE.
1.12.1936: Owners restyled as Kyle Shipping Company Ltd, (Monroe Bros, managers).
16.10.1937: Sold to Walton Steamship Company Ltd, (F. L. Dawson & Company Ltd, managers) Liverpool.
1949: Sold to Elias Macris & John Fonaris, Greece, and renamed THETIS.
1950: Sold to Macris Brothers & J. Fonaris, Greece.
12.1959: Demolition commenced in Greece.


Mc4. ARDGANTOCK (2) (1919 - 1955)
O.N. 142271. 848g. 415n. 200.1 x30.2 x 12.6 feet
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 90 RHP.
1918: Laid down as WAR TUMMEL by Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company (Yard No. 303) for the Shipping Controller, London.
6.3.1919: Launched.
6.1919: Completed as ARDGANTOCK for P MacCallum & Sons Ltd. (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1955: Sold to Kyle Shipping Company Ltd, (Monroe Bros, managers), Liverpool, and renamed KYLECASTLE.
19.4.1958: Arrived at Barrow in Furness for demolition by T. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield.


Mc5. ARDGARVEL (1) (1922 - 1927)
O.N. 137049. 834g. 397n. 200.2 x 30.2 x 12.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Ferguson Bros (Port Glasgow) Ltd, Port Glasgow. 90 RHP.
21.11.1916: Launched by Ferguson Bros (Port Glasgow) Ltd, Port Glasgow, (Yard No.221), for Ard Coasters Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1.1917: Completed
1922: Sold to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd., (Lang & Fulton, managers)
1927: Sold for £13,500 to J. H. Welford & Company Ltd and by them to Union Steamships Ltd, Vancouver, and renamed CHILLIWACK.
1954: Sold to Micronesia Metal and Equipment Company and renamed IRON SHIELD.
18.3.1955: Arrived at Osaka for demolition.

Mc6. ARDGRYFE (2) (1922 - 1959)
O.N. 142318. 964g. 481n. 200.4 x 31.2 x 13.2 feet
T.3-cyl. (17”, 28” & 46” x 33”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 149 NHP.
3.1918: Completed as ST DUNSTAN’S HILL by Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company, Ardrossan, (Yard No.270), for Mead Son & Hussey, London.
1920: Sold to Lang & Fulton Ltd. and renamed ARDGRYFE
1922: Sold for £39,053 to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd, (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
2.12.1959: Arrived at Preston for demolition by Thos.W.Ward Ltd, Sheffield.

Mc7. ARDGARROCH (2) (1922 - 1937)
O.N. 142743. 964g. 501n. 200.2 x 31.2 x 13.2 feet
T.3-cyl. (17”, 28” & 46” x 33”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 149 NHP.
13.12.1918: Launched as PORTLAND HOUSE by Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Company, Ardrossan, (Yard No. 271), for Mead Son & Hussey, London.
1920: Sold Lang & Fulton Ltd. and renamed ARDGARROCH
1922: Sold to P MacCallum & Sons Ltd., (Lang & Fulton Ltd, managers).
1937: Sold to Bristol Steam Navigation Company Ltd, Bristol, and renamed CAPITO.
1950: Sold to G. Lamy & Company and renamed NEREE.
29.11.1952: Arrived at Grays, Essex for demolition by T.W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield.

Mc8. ARDGLEN (2) (1953 - 1972)
O.N. 185762. 1,044g. 496n. 1,338d. 221’ 5” x 34’ 4”x 13’ 9¼”
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (340 x 570mm) oil engines built by British Polar Engines Ltd, Glasgow. 960bhp. 10½ kts.
19.12.1952: Launched by James Lamont & Co, Port Glasgow (Yard No.377), for P MacCallum & Sons Ltd.
3.1953: Completed
1972: Sold to Hortiatis Shipping Co.Ltd, Famagusta and renamed NENI.
1973: Sold to Kalthos Shipping Co.Ltd, Famagusta and renamed MARIANTHI
1976: Sold to Kalpomare Shipping Co.Ltd, Limassol and renamed KALPOGIORGOS
1977: Renamed ARDGLEN.
1977: Sold to Evrytos Shipping Corp, Panama and renamed LITTLE NOTA
1977: Sold to Kalpomare Shipping Co.Ltd, and renamed LUBNA.
1978: Sold to Oman Shipping Lines, Dubai UAE.
1.9.1982: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition by Karachi SY & Engineering Works.

Mc9. ARDGARRY (2) (1957 - 1962)
O.N. 185785. 1,074g. 507n. 1,300d. 221’ 3” x 34’ 5”x 13’ 8¼”
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (12½” x 18¾”) oil engines built by H. Widdop & Company Ltd, Keighley.
16.1.1957: Launched by James Lamont & Co, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 388), for P MacCallum & Sons Ltd.
5.1957: Completed.
28.12.1962: Departed Swansea for Rouen with a cargo of coal.
29.12.1962: Dutch vessel HOLLANDIA (375g./51), reported she had witnessed ARDGARRY capsize off The Lizard with the loss of all hands.

Mc10. ARDGARVEL (2) (1965 – 1974)
O.N. 306955. 1,121g. 486n. 1,385d. 223’ 0” x35’ 5” x14’ 2¼”
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (340 x 570mm) oil engines built by British Polar Engines Ltd, Glasgow. 1100 bhp. 11 kts.
24.9.1964: Launched by James Lamont & Co, Port Glasgow (Yard No. 402), for P MacCallum & Sons Ltd.
9.1964: Completed
28.11.1974: Sold to Henry W Peabody Grain Ltd, and renamed BALMERINO.
1977: Sold to Marpro Ltd, and renamed MARIYOS HOPE, registered in London.
1980: Sold to and renamed ANGELINA S.
1982: Sold to and renamed DIANA
1987: Sold to and renamed RAMKO
1989: Sold to and renamed ARADOUS 1
1989: Sold to and renamed TADMOR
1992: Converted into a livestock carrier
1999: Sold to and renamed LAILA H.



Vessels managed
by
P MacCallum & Sons Ltd

McM.1. MARGO (1941 - 1947)
O.N. 168621. 1,412g. 993n. 232.8 x 34.3 x 13.7 feet
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 43 x 33”) engine built by the shipbuilders. 106 HP.
6.3.1895: Launched as GUTRUNE by Flensburger Schiffsb Ges, Flensburg, Germany, (Yard No. 153), for Dampschiff Rhederei von 1889, Hamburg.
4.1895: Completed.
1902: Sold to Woermann Linie Kommandit Ges, and renamed LINDA WOERMANN.
1916: Requisitioned by the Portuguese Government and renamed PUNGUE.
1924: Sold to S Denoliel & Sons, Lisbon, and renamed LUNA.
1924: Sold to Societe Anon Co-operative de Marseilles and renamed VILLE D'ALEXANDRETTE.
1928: Sold to Slobodna Plovidta Bokeska, Tivat, and renamed ANTON LOVIC.
1934: Sold to Alfred Kahn and renamed MARGO.
1941: Requisitioned by The Ministry of War Transport.
20.2.1941: P MacCallum & Sons Ltd., Greenock appointed as managers.
3.11.1947: Having been condemned was scuttled at position 47.36N., 9.31W.


McM.2. EMPIRE BANK (1941 - 1942)
O.N. 167107. 402g. 183n. 143.6 x 26.1 X 9.9 feet.
7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (10½” x 13½”) oil engine made by Crossley Bros, Ltd, Manchester. 8 kts.
12.4.1941: Launched as EMPIRE BANK by Henry Scarr Ltd, Hessle (Yard No. 417), for the Ministry of War Transport, (P. McCallum & Sons Ltd., Greenock, managers).
8.1941: Completed.
1942: Metcalf Motor Coasters Ltd., London, appointed as managers.
1945: Purchased by Metcalf Motor Coasters Ltd., London.
1946: Renamed ROSE-JULIE M.
1956: Transferred to the ownership of the Mac Shipping Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
1.1966: Arrived at Queenborough for demolition.

McM.3. NORDOST (ABOUT 1942 - 1943)
1,035g. 537n. 215.0 x 34.3 x15.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (15”, 25” & 40” x 27”) engine made by C A Kuijpers, Rotterdam. 83NHP
1918: Completed as LIFLAND by De Haan & Oerlemans, Heusden (Yard No.52), for A.N.Pederson, Denmark
1920: Sold to Axel Nordstrom, Sweden, later Rederi Ab Nord & Ostersjofort, (Axel Nordstrom, manager) and renamed NORDOST.
1955: Demolished at Travemunde.

McM.4. OPHIR (ABOUT 1942 - 1943)
O.N. 124102. 469g. 99n. 155.1 x 26.2 x 10.5 feet.
C.2-cyl. (18" & 40" x 27") engine manufactured by Ross & Duncan Ltd., Glasgow. 94 RHP. 10.5 kts.
9.11.1907: Launched for the Zillah Shipping & Carrying Company Ltd., (William A. Savage, manager) Warrington and later Liverpool.
12.12.1907: Completed.
10.1940: Hired by the Admiralty as an armament store carrier and renamed ELDORADO
1943 - 3.1946: Admiralty employment as a cable ship.
3.1946: Returned to owners and reverted to OPHIR.
2.8.1949: Owners became Zillah Shipping Company Ltd, (same managers), Liverpool.
30.7.1954: Arrived at Llanelli for demolition by Rees Shipbreaking Company Ltd.
1.4.1955: Register closed.


Kindiesel Shipping Company
(P. MacCallum & Sons, managers)
Capital £13,500 (135 x £100 shares)
(68 shares = P. MacCallum & Sons Ltd; 66, J. J. Lang and J. V. Fulton, Directors each with 1 )
(67 shares = J. G. Kincaid & Company; 65, J. S. Kincaid and R. Greer, Directors each with1 )

K.1. KINDIESEL (1936 - 1942)
O.N. 165219. 389g., 180n. 136.2 x 25.1 x 9.2 feet
4 cyl. 2SCSA (11-7/16” x 17-5/16”) engine made by John G Kincaid & Company Ltd., Greenock. 91NHP.
15.7.1936: Launched by Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company Ltd, Ardrossan (Yard No. 361), for Kindiesel Shipping Company Ltd, (P MacCallum & Sons Ltd, managers).
8.1936: Completed.
1941: All outstanding shares acquired by P. MacCallum & Sons Ltd.
10.1.1942: Sold for £14,000 to Lovering & Sons Ltd, Cardiff.
1951: Sold to E. Paulsen, Norway and renamed SLETTER
1956: Sold to T.Klovning, Norway and renamed SENATOR
31.1.1969: Wrecked off Vinga Light

K.2. PROPOSED
1,500d. steamer
July 1939: Ordered from Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company Ltd, Ardrossan (Yard No. 371 ??), by the Kindiesel Shipping Company Ltd, (P MacCallum & Sons Ltd, managers).
25.12.1941: Cancelled.

Return to “Clyde Shipowners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest