SS Benalder 1880

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
mcmahos
Site Admin

SS Benalder 1880

Post by mcmahos » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:05 pm

A request for a photo / postcard if at all possible:

From June Macbeth:
"I am an author and researching to write the life story of WW1 Poet, Wilfred Owen. His father, Tom Owen, signed on and worked his way to India on the ship SS Benalder, built by A Stephen and Sons, Glasgow in 1880. I am looking for an old photo or postcard of the SS Benalder to put in my book. Have you a picture of this ship and any information about it which I could use? I have no publisher for this book at the present time, however, if it is published I would need permission to use the picture in all books that are printed, as I do not wish to break copyright laws. If you cannot help me do you know anyone who can?"
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

yorkieman

Re: SS Benalder 1880

Post by yorkieman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm

This photo preumably taken from a painting was in Graeme Somner's book on Ben Line from the WSS in 1980, I presume it will also be in the later edition which I don't have. Permission to use would have to be sought from the author and/or WSS as copyright is not clear.
BENALDER 1880.jpg
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks, George
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Don't suppose you've got any contact information for Graeme Somner? Will the WSS possibly have contact details?

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 pm

I would think there is a high likelyhood that WSS will have details on how to contact Graeme Somner as he has been involved with them for a number of years.
Angus Mac Kinnon

Bill Harvey

Post by Bill Harvey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Last time I met him about 8 years ago he was living in the Christchurch (Dorset) area but do not have an address.

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”