Please Help Identify Rare Plaque

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
dankirkham

Please Help Identify Rare Plaque

Post by dankirkham » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi all,

Please could someone help me get a little closer to learning about the history of this brass plaque i have from the clyde navigation trust?

I imagine its a permit/registration plate from an old vessel, but would like to learn more about the place it came from!

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems.....The file i have seems too big to upload, if anyone is interested please email me and i can forward the picture!

Kind Regards

Dan Kirkham

dankirkham

Re: Please Help Identify Rare Plaque

Post by dankirkham » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Here is the picture if anyone can help me please????
Had to make image smaller!
Any help appreciated!

Kind Regards
Dan
Attachments
resize image.jpg
resize image
resize image.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Dan :

Are you able to provide any further information on its provenance? For example - where did you get it from?

You mention it possibly having come 'from an old vessel', but is that just specualtion because it is associated with the Clyde Navigation Trust, or do you have some information?

You mention it being a 'rare' plaque, yet the numbers on your sample would indicate there were quite a lot of them !

Hope you get as many answers from someone as you have questions from me :lol:

Angus
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:32 am

I would assume that the 'BTU 166' part is an identifier for the vessel, a registration number as it says, would speculate a small vessel where a number might be shown rather than its name (if it had one)? But it does not seem to fit into the ON system for UK registration.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

millfield153a

Post by millfield153a » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 am

This is just a guess: but could BTU166 be the registration number of a car or lorry and the plate a sort of season ticket ('permit') for crossing to and fro on one or other of the CNT ferries? If BTU166 was a vehicle, it would have been registered in Cheshire - but that doesn't rule the theory out altogether.

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”