Paton & Hendry and John Gray Frew

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
Bill Harvey

Paton & Hendry and John Gray Frew

Post by Bill Harvey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I am hoping that someone may be able to assist me with my quest.

Triggered by a question posed by another site member, in relation to something he was working on, I am currently collating the fleets owned / managed by Paton & Hendry / Hendry, MacCallum & Co.

One of those fleets was The Home Trade Steam carrying Co.Ltd which somewhere around 1900 changed from Paton & Hendry management to that of John Gray Frew.

What I am trying to ascertain is if J. G. Frew was involved with Paton & Hendry prior to that point as he had vessels under his own name and I have also seen some as John G. Frew & others. He certainly was not in the partnership in 1911 when Paton retired and the business restyled as Hendry, McCallum & Co.

At present, including Frew, I have accounted for 66 vessels ranging from puffer to reasonable sized coasters albeit some relate to Frew managing single ship companies. All except one are Clyde built.

Some similarity in vessel names also gives reason to think there was an association as do some sequence of builds at the shipyards.

Coincidently both the Hendry McCallum and the Frew operations were in rapid decline post WW1 and had gone by circa 1924

Any pointers gratefully received.

Regards
Bill

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”