DARROCH & ESPIE LTD. info sought.

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
riverman

DARROCH & ESPIE LTD. info sought.

Post by riverman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Looking for any info. into the company of Darroch & Espie Ltd. Weir Street, Kingston, Glasgow. They were boatbuilders particularly lifeboats for major shipping company's.
Only info I found on Google was from the Glasgow Herald of July 10th 1958. ' Darroch & Espie Ltd. Ship Repairers & Electrical Engineers of 37,Weir Street, Kingston, Glasgow premises destroyed by fire.
paul hunter

Hearach

Re: DARROCH & ESPIE LTD. info sought.

Post by Hearach » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Paul - check out this website for a snippet of info:

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/weir- ... _1375.html

The following info from Slater's Royal National Directory:

1861 listed as Carpenters, boat builders, etc with premises at 24 West Street and Ardgowan Street

1903 listed as Shipwrights with premises at 27 South Kinning Place

Allan

riverman

Post by riverman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:36 am

Many thanks Allan, some interesting photos and info. Memories of the back courts, the jeely piece, and at that time the dreaded scarlet fever which I had as a boy.
I am trying to find info on D & E for George Hulley, Helensburgh, who served his time there in 1946. George you may know was a well known boatbuilder in Helensburgh and built the Arden Four Yachts, he was also Hulley Marine Boat Chandlers at Sandpoint, Dumbarton and selling up as recent as a couple of years ago.
Thanks again.
Last edited by riverman on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul hunter

susie

Post by susie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi
My Great Grandfather was Malcolm Darroch and lived in Ardgowan Terrace for many years. He was a Master Mariner and I often wondered why he moved from Ardrossan to Glasgow - maybe he had an interest? I think I have seen James the owner in the family tree but will look again. Just thought I'd mention it! I'm acrually tracking Archibald Darroch at the moment who was a sub Leiut on "Rouhma" in 1914. she was designated an auxiliary vessel in WW1.

bluey

Post by bluey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Not sure what info you require but may be able to help.
My father was a director and I have a fair recollection of the works from mid forties until 1956 when I went overseas.
I returned in 1961 just as the yard was closing.

riverman

Post by riverman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:39 am

Hi Bluey,
Thanks for reply, I am trying to obtain any info on D&E on behalf of a guy (ex boatbuilder) who served his apprenticeship there in 1946. As far as I know he is looking for any info on the history of the company. At present he is at the Southampton Boat Show but will be returning this evening when I will contact him.
Many thanks.
paul hunter

riverman

Post by riverman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Bluey,

I have sent e-mail address of gentleman interested in D & E by PM
Cheers,
Paul.
paul hunter

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”