Crew Marina ship 1879

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
robau

Crew Marina ship 1879

Post by robau » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 am

Hi there,

I'm following a chap by the name of James Charles LYONS and I have him discharged on the Garonne in 1879. The attached document says the previous ship he (James is the 4 last on the page) was on is the Marina also in 1879, but it says something above that, I cant seem to work it . It starts with a G and ends .... ck?? I'm wanting to find the crew list for this ship but not having much luck so far with Marina.
garonne1879_002.jpg
Garonne Crew list 1879
Thanks,
Bobby.

Colin Campbell

Re: Crew Marina ship 1879

Post by Colin Campbell » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:53 am

Looked up Lloyds Register 1883

There is a MARINA... Barque 693grt. 164.4x32.1x19.9ft. Built 1874 by Warlow of Neyland (there is a Neyland in the Milford Haven Area. Wales) owned by J. Shepherd & Co., London.

There is also a MARINA built by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow around that date. Check out our new clydeships Clyde built ship history archive.

Suppose GREENOCK is too obvious for the other question?

Colin

robau

Re: Crew Marina ship 1879

Post by robau » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:38 am

Colin Campbell wrote:Looked up Lloyds Register 1883

There is a MARINA... Barque 693grt. 164.4x32.1x19.9ft. Built 1874 by Warlow of Neyland (there is a Neyland in the Milford Haven Area. Wales) owned by J. Shepherd & Co., London.

There is also a MARINA built by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow around that date. Check out our new clydeships Clyde built ship history archive.

Suppose GREENOCK is too obvious for the other question?

Colin
Thanks for that Colin. Both Marina ships give very little on google unfortunaltey. The first one you have listed built in 1874 gives nothing and the second I find a link to the Clydeships site as you suggested. http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ref=1313 and http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/v ... sp?id=3735 The first URL shows the name changed to Maria from 1877 which would exclude this ship from being the one listed on the attachment for James. Do you think that would be a reasonable assumption?

If so then James must of been on the MARINA Built 1874 by Warlow of Neyland (there is a Neyland in the Milford Haven Area. Wales) owned by J. Shepherd & Co., London. Looking on the National UK archives site and I find the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for Milford Haven -> ships registration papers 1858-1992. (Pembrokeshire Archives) I can email these chaps and/or do you think there would be another place to try?

Thankyou.
Bobby.

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”