1901 Crewlist for SV SINDIA (built 1888)

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
Angus Mac Kinnon

1901 Crewlist for SV SINDIA (built 1888)

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 pm

In connection with the loss of the ex-T & J Brocklebank four-masted Barque SINDIA (O.N. 93757) on 15 December 1901, near Ocean City, N.J., USA, I would like to know how to go about finding a crew-list for the vessel in 1901 and any guidance on potential source/s would be much appreciated.

This large sailing ship was built by Harland & Wolf of Belfast Y/N 204, and was sold by Brocklebank of Liverpool to John D. Rockefeller's Anglo-American Oil Company in 1900. At the time, she had delivered a cargo of cased oil to the Far East and for her last voyage she called at Shanghai and Kobe where she loaded goods for the Christmas 1901 New York market. She set sail for New York on 8th July 1901 but never reached her destination, running aground in foul weather off Ocean City from which she became a constructive total loss.

I believe some of her crew were from her Brocklebank ownership days and in this connection would like to know the best way of determining her crew in July 1901.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Angus Mac Kinnon
Angus Mac Kinnon

Hugh

Re: 1901 Crewlist for SV SINDIA (built 1888)

Post by Hugh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:22 pm

Hello Angus,
There are no surviving crew agreements for the ship held at the UK National Archives in Kew. There are crew agreements held at the Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada but only for the years 1890 and 1892.
It may be worth emailing the address below in case the ship has not had a 1901 crew agreement indexed yet but I am afraid you may have to be prepared for the fact that there is no surviving crew agreement for that year.

Maritime History Archive
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
A1C 5S7
Phone: 709-864-8428
Fax: 709-864-3123
E-mail: mha@mun.ca

Regards
Hugh

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:27 pm

Hugh :

I might have known that it would be yourself who would rally to the cry for help ! :clap:

I have done as you suggested and e-mailed off to the Canadian Maritime History Archive to see whether they are able to help, and requested procedure and their preferred payment type/amount.

May not come to anything, but the best lead I have thus far.

I already know the name of her Master (Captain Alan McKenzie) and two Mates (George Stewart and George Wilkie), and believe all three were N.E. Coast of Scotland men who transferred over from Brocklebank when she was sold to John D. Rockefeller's Anglo-American Oil Company (London). George Stewart is thought to have been a Dundee man and holding his Master's Certificate although sailing Mate.

Another Dundonian crew-member was the young David Jackson, who remained in the USA after the shipwreck, whereas the others are believed to have returned to their UK bases.

Very sad news to learn of the passing of Stan-the-Man. Huge loss to the website, and especially to top researchers like yourself, given his vast knowledge and excellent memory.

Will keep you posted if I get anywhere with the Canadian source, and many thanks for your valued help once more,

Angus Mac Kinnon - Troon
Angus Mac Kinnon

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks Angus, I hope you get lucky. Let us know how you get on.
Yes, I was sad to hear of the passing of Stan - a gentleman and a friend.

Regards
Hugh

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”