Wide Awake

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
taylor

Wide Awake

Post by taylor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:42 am

Hi all i'm new to your site i'm doing some research on a Sand Barge called the Wide Awake seams she was built by Robert Napier in 1850 at Govan she is a 66ft Puffer i think, the story is she was built on the Clyde and ended up on Lough Erne N.Ireland my grand father worked on her in the 1930 up until the war, she now lies sunk in a small lake not far from me, i think this is the same boat built on the Clyde if any one has any information i will be very thankful i have a small photo of her but cant up load it :? thanks John

alasdairmac

Re: Wide Awake

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi there John. Your basic details are mostly correct. She would appear to have been used as a lighter on the Thames but from my own research into puffers and the like I have never before come across any reference to her as having worked the Clyde as a powered vessel. Neither does a search of the Merchant Navy Lists, which include all powered and sailing vessels over the period 1850 to 1930, show up any of this name that could be a match.

However, I have found this reference to her which confirms that she was moved from the Thames to N. Ireland. and mentions of her work there do suggest that she may have been fitted with an engine post-1930.
http://www.ovguide.com/the-wide-awake-9 ... 0014f4fe9f

Maybe local press archives might yield some more information?

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks for your reply i cant find out much about her at all only that small piece you re-fair to, even searching the Thames resister didn't bring up anything, i am thinking she came to Ireland on her own bottom via the Shannon and Royal canal, she still has her steam engine and winch in place hope to get a better look come summer and low water thanks John :)

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:59 am

Image here is a photo of the Wide Awake on Lough Erne in 1960s she looks like a puffer

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:59 am.

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”