Boats on the Clyde in the '60s

A place for any requests for help and information in tracing relatives, ships, etc
Hebhunter

Boats on the Clyde in the '60s

Post by Hebhunter » Thu May 03, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi

My family used to holiday at Cloch Point in the mid to late 60s and had lots of boat trips. The boats I (think!) I remember were Granny Kempock, Duchess of Breadalbane and I thought two paddle steamers Waverly and Bute. I've searched the internet looking for information on the Bute but can't find any. Did I make it up? :? Can anyone help - thanks in anticipation.

davidwat

Re: Boats on the Clyde in the '60s

Post by davidwat » Thu May 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Not the Duchess , but Countess of Breadalbane is the one you are thinking of, I guess. And Bute was not a paddler; She was one of the first custom built car carriers on the clyde, one of three sisters that ran mainly from Gourock/Dunoon.
david watson

Hebhunter

Post by Hebhunter » Fri May 04, 2018 10:56 am

Ah, Countess of Breadalbane :) and that will explain why I could not find The Bute amongst the paddle steamers - thank you very much - I remember her as a particular favourite.

I did think there were two paddle steamers at the time, does anyone know if this is the case and if so what the other one was called - would it have been the Queen Mary?

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Fri May 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Not the Queen Mary, she was a steam turbine, and is now back in Glasgow being renovated. The other paddler may well have been the Jeanie Deans. Other paddlers from that era were Talisman, Marchioness of Lorne, Duchess of Fife, but they all disappeared pretty quickly one by one.
david watson

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Wed May 09, 2018 11:55 am

Car ferry BUTE on her trials. There is of course a new BUTE today on the Wemyss Bay to Rothesay run.
Attachments
Clyde-Bute-trials.jpg
Pioneer car ferry of the 1950s
Bute.jpg
The latest Bute.
Paul Strathdee

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Wed May 09, 2018 12:01 pm

An excuse to post a photo of JEANIE DEANS....
Attachments
JeanieDeans-CSP.jpg
Paul Strathdee

Return to “GENEALOGY / RESEARCH”