Bridlington 1940 HMS - Minesweeper
Minesweeper, Bangor Class, Diesel – J.65
Laid down 11/9/1939 and launched by William Denny & Brothers Dumbarton, Yard No 1349, on 29/2/1940. February 1960 broken up at Plymouth by Demmellweek and Redding.
590t standard; 690t deep load
162ft oa x 28ft x 9ft 4in mean deep load
2-shaft Harland & Wolf Diesels, 9 cylinder, 2000bhp giving 16.5 knots
1 x 3in/20cwt HA, and 4 x MG, with 40 DCs as an escort
Joined the 9th Minesweeping Flotilla at Scapa
Later she served along the East Coast and Channel being based at Portsmouth, Portland and Harwich.
August 1942 Dieppe Raid as an escort
June 1944 Normandy landings, sweeping the route for Juno Beach
June 1945 Reserve on the Tees at Hartlepool.
1946 passed to the RAF as HMAVF Bridlington along with her sister Bridport. Her weapons were removed and she was repainted in pale grey and white. Her RAF complement was 48 men, 4 of these were officers. She was attached to HMS Sea Eagle in Londonderry
October 1955 she left England and carried a preliminary survey team to Gan she then ferried supplies across the 600 miles from Ceylon until the old wartime runway was back in use.
26/4/1956 arrived back at Plymouth and was laid up in Devonport.
Battle Honours: DIEPPE 1942 - ENGLISH CHANNEL 1940-43 - NORMANDY 1944