Fierce 1945 HMS - Minesweeper

User avatar
Woody
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Fierce 1945 HMS - Minesweeper

Post by Woody » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 pm

HMS Fierce
Minesweeper, Algerine Class, VTE-engined - J.453
Laid down 26/11/1944 and launched by Lobnitz & Company Renfrew, Yard No 1077, on
11/9/1945. Scrapped at Gateshead, 2/8/1959
950-1030t standard; 1235-1325t deep load
225ft oa x 35ft 6in x 10ft 9in deep load
2 shaft VTE, 2 Admiralty 3-drum boilers, oil, 2400ihp giving 16.5 knots
1 x 4in/45 QF Mk V HA, 4 x 40mm Bofors (4 x 2) and 90-92 DC as escorts
Crew 138 war complement

Completed as a Minesweeping HQ ship and commissioned 28/11/1945
The last Algerine to be completed
February 1946 arrived at Malta and joined the 8th MSF based at Bizerta. Used as VIP transport to Naples etc
11/9/1946 joined the Palestine Patrol
December 1946 left Malta for refit at Portsmouth, following which she was placed in Category A Reserve
September 1947 recommisioned and sent to Malta as SO, 2nd MSF
1947-48 minesweeping operations in the Aegean and Red Sea
June 1953 attended the Coronation Review
7/8/1953 returned to Mediteranean
October 1953 Reserve at Malta
Attachments
C1 Fierce entering Malta 3-1946.jpg
Malta March 1946
C2 Fierce moored strbd stern Malta.jpg
Malta Post war
C3 1953.jpg
Fierce 1953

Return to “RN Warships and Auxiliaries built on the Clyde”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: E28 and 2 guests